SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG 220 SAO 10mm Hunter. Super difficult to rack slide.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 220 SAO 10mm Hunter. Super difficult to rack slide. Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
Hello SIG Braintrust. I have a couple of 10mm 220's, both are SAO. I have found that my Hunter version is a total bitch to rack the slide. Can I get a lighter spring to make that easier? My other 220 10mm is like a normal 220, unlike the Hunter Beast. Thanks in advance folks!! sigguy (the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would remove the slides from both and look at each recoil unit, they're captured spring units.

I suppose you could disassemble the troublesome unit but I wouldn't know where you'd get a different spring to fit the unit.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Cock the hammer first.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Cock the hammer first.
. Thanks, Ive tried that multiple times. No difference.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I would remove the slides from both and look at each recoil unit, they're captured spring units.

I suppose you could disassemble the troublesome unit but I wouldn't know where you'd get a different spring to fit the unit.
. I'll try to pulle the slides and look for any differences. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Cock the hammer first.
. Thanks, Ive tried that multiple times. No difference.

Doesn’t sound good. Have you tried swapping the recoil springs between the “beast” and your other 220 10mm, just to rule out any difference due to age / use of the springs?

Will the slide move along the rails easily when you remove the barrel, spring and guide rod?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As was suggested, can you swap the spring
see if that makes a difference

If you remove the barrel, guide rod and spring
does the slide move easily..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
posted Hide Post
I did do the swap, sure enough it is the spring which made my other 220 sao a beast to rack. Ill prolly contact SIG to get a lighter lb spring. thanks!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
I did do the swap, sure enough it is the spring which made my other 220 sao a beast to rack. Ill prolly contact SIG to get a lighter lb spring. thanks!

I am surprised that SIG uses different springs among what is essentially the same model. I have a P220-10mm SAO, nitron model, and it is stiff to rack, and as yet I cannot release the slide from lockback using the slide catch lever (older, weaker hands). But that's no matter to me, because I've always racked a slide overhand and also slingshot a locked back slide, with any pistol.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post