SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M-11a1 Magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-11a1 Magazine Login/Join 
posted
Hello, need some magazines for my M-11A1.
Will the magazine from the 229 work? I see they are 13 round but the M-11 is 15.
Thanks

Posts: 46 | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a newer model, it will require the 229-1 version; both of ours have this stamped on the mag. From what I understand, the other regular 229 mags won't work, assuming the ones that came with your gun are marked 229-1.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
The P229 mags will fit and function, but will have a little play because they are slightly narrower at the bottom. Most shooters have had no issues using the old style 9mm P229 mags in a P229-1 frame like the one used on the M11-A1, but a few have reported feeding reliability issues, possibly because of the slight looseness.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
The P229 mags will fit and function, but will have a little play because they are slightly narrower at the bottom. Most shooters have had no issues using the old style 9mm P229 mags in a P229-1 frame like the one used on the M11-A1, but a few have reported feeding reliability issues, possibly because of the slight looseness.

13 round P228 mags work as well but they also have some play in them. I have used them with no problems in training but wouldn't carry them for defense

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
The 13rd P228 mags are the same as the old style 9mm P229 mags. As a matter of fact, most of the older SIG Sauer mags were marked "P228/P229".

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wgsisgs has it correct. you want 229-1 mags. the older 228/229 mags work MOST of the time. I had issues. I'd not trust them for serious use.
Greg Cote currently has the 17's (extended baseplate) in stock but not the 15's (same for TGS)
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 13rd P228 mags are the same as the old style 9mm P229 mags. As a matter of fact, most of the older SIG Sauer mags were marked "P228/P229".

Almost 100% correct, but not quite. Razz Big Grin They were either marked "P228" or "P229", but never both together.

Btw, I never had problems with them in the 229-1 frame. Yes, use the correct 229-1 mag in the 229-1 frame. But, if I'm in a bind, I would have no reservations using the old mags in the 229-1 frame.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
12131, you beat me to it. I checked my old German P228 mags and none were labeled "P228/P229" like I thought I remembered. Frown I was about to post a correction, but you had already done it for me. Razz

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
12131, you beat me to it. I checked my old German P228 mags and none were labeled "P228/P229" like I thought I remembered. Frown I was about to post a correction, but you had already done it for me. Razz

In fact, by the time they did away with the "P228" on the mag, around 1991, the P229 wasn't even out, yet. So, most older mags are without model specific markings.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also found that my 226 magazines work in my M11-A1, but they do stick out the bottom a bit.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USAFA71:
I also found that my 226 magazines work in my M11-A1, but they do stick out the bottom a bit.

The P226 mags are the same width as the P228/old P229 ones so they will also be slightly loose and subject to the same caveats about reliability.

posted Hide Post
This is dumb when H&K Mags are compatible.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"This is dumb when H&K Mags are compatible."
HUH. That's simply not true in a very meaningful way. A couple of HK's share mags but not very many. I can't use my USP9 mag (the equivalent to the 226 above the would work) in anything. Mark 23 mags, nothing. It gets a bit better on P30's and P2000's, but its not anything like the statement "are compatible".
Sig made a mfg. change to simplify production. I understand why and I don't have any real heartburn about it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post