SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How much do you guys pay to ship a handgun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you guys pay to ship a handgun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Check out this site to see if you can find a better deal from a nearby FFL.

https://www.shipmygun.com

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dealer told me $75 to ship USPS.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$12 to $35 depending on where it is going & if they will only accept from an FFL. If it is close & only UPS Ground (too close a distance for 2 day Air Saver) is the only option available $12, up to $35 is what my FFL charges including packaging.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can not find a reasonable FFL in your area go the https://www.shipmygun.com/go/. Hit the get started button and it will quote a price.
I shipped from TN to MN using them for around $45.00. They create a label you print off,and then you take it to the nearest shipping center.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My ffl doesnt charge me transfer fees ever since i bought a suppressor from him. So no fees in or out. He quotes me shipping, it add some for any insurance, and whatever the final value is, i throw in an extra $5.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of people do not know that the USPS is a good, legal and relatively inexpensive option. Unfortunately, some Post Offices do NOT know the laws when it comes to shipping firearms and will not allow it. Anyone else have similar experiences? I find it so strange that employees of the same governmental agency do not receive training regarding the topic "Shipping Firearms".

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
A lot of people do not know that the USPS is a good, legal and relatively inexpensive option. Unfortunately, some Post Offices do NOT know the laws when it comes to shipping firearms and will not allow it. Anyone else have similar experiences? I find it so strange that employees of the same governmental agency do not receive training regarding the topic "Shipping Firearms".

typed this many times,

as a non ffl, you can ship long guns via usps,

just create an account, print label, put on box and drop it off,

when asked, nothing hazardous etc etc, and walk away,

pistols as an FFL only, some think C&R are good, others not,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
If I package it my ffl charges $25-$35 depending.

That's some sweet hook up you got there, Cobra!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

when asked, nothing hazardous etc etc, and walk away,

Actually, they shouldn't even ask you since when you paid and printed the label you already agreed to all those conditions.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello cooger, The last two handguns I shipped through UPS a few years ago were $80.00 and $81.00. I suspect the price is not less now. Yes, handguns can be shipped via USPS at regular Priority Mail rates. But, as others have indicated, an FFL is required to do this legally. My FFL actually has his FFL on file with the local Post Office, and fills out a form at the Post Office every time he ships a handgun through them. I ship through an FFL Priority Mail, and still end up paying about half what UPS last charged me. Like many of you I'm sure, I have shipped items other than firearms via Priority Mail. I have ALWAYS been asked specifically if the shipment contains any weapons. I guess we have all seen reports by some who think themselves very smart in shipping handguns inexpensively via Priority Mail without an FFL, as misc. "machined parts" or whatever cute description they can think of. I prefer to pay a little more and do it all above board.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FedEx has a reasonably priced next day delivery charge. I think it was $35 from what I remember, shipping a pistol 400 miles.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Usually around 50.00 here in NY through an FFL.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
For a handgun it is usually about $25 to ship local and $10 to transfer.

The $100 would be a decent price if you were buying one from Canada.

Shipment from Brindisi, Italy runs at $295.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn.... some pricey stuff out there.
I always use an ffl , he charges $10 + whatever priority shipping + insurance will cost.

Posts: 509 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:

We always use the post office to ship handguns.... you're so right when it comes to them not having a clue what they're doing. But fedex is equally as bad.. we're a small home dealer and sometimes we miss shipments so we just go down the road and pick them up from UPS/FedEx/wherever else. EVERYTIME we go into FedEx the same 2-3 employees are at the front desk and ask for a different piece of identification to pick up a package. The first time I went into FedEx I took my signed/stamped corporate commission paperwork showing I was the owner of the business. They told me that wouldn't work for proof of business ownership and I needed a business card. What?!?!? My legal business paperwork doesn't work, but you'll accept a business card? Asked to talk to a supervisor and found out why the person behind the desk was such an idiot, because the supervisor was an idiot too.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I work with a guy here with an FFL and a shop in his garage. He sells high-end shot guns, no retail space. He is more than happy to receive or ship any firearm I ask. No qualms at all.

He charges $35 either way. We've been doing business for years. He has done all the paperwork to allow him to ship using USPS and he uses Priority shipping.

Another shop in the area charges about the same to ship, $30 to $35 and $50 to receive.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I go through my FFL, I get charged around $25.

If I ship it myself, I use FedEx overnight and it usually runs me ~$75.

quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I have a pistol I'm selling and called a few gun shops to find out how much they charge to ship it. All of them told me it their charge would be $50-60 plus the actual cost of shipping, putting it up around $100. Is this normal?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
If I package it my ffl charges $25-$35 depending.

That's some sweet hook up you got there, Cobra!

This is my biggest gun related pet peeve. FFLs (like dry-fly) should do it for shipping cost plus a little for their trouble. Why? Because it's a great service that we can't get elsewhere and SHOULD result in us rewarding our FFLs by trading with them when we can.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I order a lot of pistols and I can't remember the last time one was shipped to me via next day air. They all come second day now. I'm thinking UPS and FedEx have softened a bit on that front.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipped a G36 with extras,from Detroit to Lexington, last week, $25 Flat Rate USPS, $10 insurance and $20 FFL fee. If done privately, UPS or FedEx will be at least $52-65 one way. Plus insurance

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post