SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How much do you guys pay to ship a handgun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you guys pay to ship a handgun? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I have a pistol I'm selling and called a few gun shops to find out how much they charge to ship it. All of them told me it their charge would be $50-60 plus the actual cost of shipping, putting it up around $100. Is this normal?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I ship through my FFL , to another FFL ,using the USPS, $25 on average.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few dealers by me that only charge $20-25.00 plus shipping(around $20.00).

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If I ship it myself through UPS, it's typically $80-$100 for UPS Next Day Air Saver with insurance.

If my FFL ships it, it's $20 plus actual USPS Priority Mail shipping. Typically around $40 total, with FFL fee, shipping, and insurance.

Needless to say, I tend to let my FFL ship handguns for me.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Wow. I wonder why all the folks around me charge so much. Does the USPS only charge $20 for shipping? The two shops I called said the shipping cost would be double that.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
For FFL ->FFL mailing, USPS has mailing options for as low $6.52 if a handgun will fit in a Regional A flat rate box (2 different shapes available) and you are only mailing a zone or two away. Maximum for Zone 8 is $10.28 for a Regional A box.

If you need to use a Regional B sized box (2 sizes again), the price varies from $7.17 to $20.41.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Does the USPS only charge $20 for shipping?

Depends on what you're shipping, where it's going, and what service you're using.

But the handguns I've shipped over the past few years have all fit in a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box. So that's a flat rate of $13.60 for 2-3 day shipping anywhere in the US. Plus another $6 to $7 in insurance, to cover the full value. So yeah, about $20 total in shipping costs.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll call a couple back tomorrow and make sure I understood them correctly.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
If I package it my ffl charges $25-$35 depending.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find another FFL.
The ones by me charge $25 and USPS Priority rates

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shops often have rather expensive transfer fees in order to discourage people from buying elsewhere and just using the shop for a transfer. Their business model is to sell product. They could offer different charges for incoming and outgoing, but it seems they often just keep it high.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My FFL guy charges $35 plus FedEx shipping costs, which is usually around $20. So approximately $55 total. I've shipped a bunch with him, so occasionally he throws me a freebie, like shipping cost only.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
We usually charge $35 to bring the gun into and then out of our bound book for an off-the-street customer, less for a regular who actually spends money with us. Then roughly another $30 to $40 for boxing up and sending via 2nd day FedEx, depending on the size and weight of the package, and its destination.

Using USPS would be cheaper for the customer, but a couple or so negative experiences with "lost" and extremely delayed "misplaced" packages through the post office killed off future use of that so-called 'service' for us.

Of course when one works at a LGS the cost to send out a sidearm goes WAY down... Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I have a pistol I'm selling and called a few gun shops to find out how much they charge to ship it. All of them told me it their charge would be $50-60 plus the actual cost of shipping, putting it up around $100. Is this normal?

Take a look at "shipmygun.com" for the most reasonable cost I've seen. Around $40.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of dealers use signature service sending items USPS, so that adds roughly $6 to the price, in addition to insurance and the priority mail cost.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
$25 to ship a handgun
$35 " " " Long gun
Plus
$20 FFL fee to book them in

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$60

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For handguns we normally charge $25 + shipping (most handguns depending on the case they come in can fit in a medium flat rate box for USPS and it's around $20 with signature and stuff.... insurance is a minimal charge I can't think off the top of my head what it is, but it's cheap)

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
find out what your Dealer charges for transfers,

go to USPS.com and create your own account,
go to a local post office and pick up some free priority mail boxes, or order some online, delivered free to your house,,

box, weigh (round up to the nearest pound) and print a postage label,
insured, delivery confirmation, signature required,
price will be charged to your credit card, and varies by weight, distance, etc if you are not using flat rate (small, med, large, rate A/B/C boxes are not fixed cost)

take unsealed box to your dealer for the transfer, and have them seal once they do the paperwork,

easy peasy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My FFL charges $50 to ship a handgun, which includes his fees.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post