SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blade Tech WRS retention hood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Tech WRS retention hood Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I've been looking for a concealable kydex Level II holster for plainclothes use, as described here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4590013434

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anyone who still offers SLS hoods on their kydex pancake holsters. I've emailed a handful of holster makers who claimed to offer the SLS, but they either never responded, or stated that they no longer offer that option.

However, I've come across a few holster makers who do offer the option of a somewhat similar Blade Tech WRS hood.

For example: https://rrtholsters.com/produc...tlaser-bearing-only/

Or https://kydexglockholsters.com...-holster-right-hand/

The release mechanism is slightly different from the SLS, with the WRS button being depressed inward toward the body, rather than the SLS which is depressed down and forward. And it looks like the WRS hood is spring-loaded to automatically drop forward when the button is activated, unlike the SLS that has to be manually rotated forward.

I'm used to the SLS system already, but it seems like I could get used to the WRS with minimal additional practice.

So does anyone here have any experience with the Blade Tech WRS retention hood? Is it comparable in quality to the Safariland SLS system?

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out squared away customs in Enfield nh

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used one on duty for 2 years, I liked it better than the Safariland. No durability issues

Posts: 120 | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
Check out squared away customs in Enfield nh

Already did. Their "Five-O" holster is one of the ones I'm considering. They also use the WRS hood.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I would verify with that company that they still use actual Kydex with that holster design and not whatever the cheap alternative sheet crap they use on other designs, the stuff that typically lasts for little more than a year before developing cracks from regular continued use. Many local shops once loyal to the local holster maker have dropped Blade-Tech over the past couple of years because of these problems with durability associated in their current products made from sheet material.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They are Kydex holsters. None of the holsters I'm looking at are made by Blade Tech itself. Blade Tech just designed the WRS retention hood system. (Like you, I'm not a fan of the plastic Blade Tech uses on their holsters. And they don't make a holster in the style I'm looking for anyway.)

Holster makers like RRT, KDH, and Squared Away buy loose WRS mechanisms and add them to their own custom made Kydex holsters: https://www.knifekits.com/vcom...ght-hand-p-5897.html

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ah, got it.

Yup, folks need to be cautious when it comes to Blade-Tech holsters these days. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggestion:
Look at the Safariland concealment holsters. Excellent retention and fast thumb activated release. They conceal fairly well. WML models, too. I have them for P220, G17, and SP2022. My go to vendor is HolsterOps.com.
Bonus: the Safariland uses a wide variety of belt, molle, or clip on mounts so you can use the holster any way you like.
I use the 7377 or 7376 Models.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Suggestion:
Look at the Safariland concealment holsters.

I use the 7377 or 7376 Models.

I have numerous Safariland ALS duty holsters, including 6360, 6377, and 7377 models. I'm a huge fan of the ALS retention system. The problem, as described in my other earlier thread as linked in the OP, is that they are not easily concealable for me.

quote:
They conceal fairly well.

Not in my experience. Even the ALS holsters advertised as "concealment holsters" like the 6377/7377 can only be concealed under something like an overly large jacket, while a more streamlined kydex pancake holster can be hidden under a polo or t-shirt.

quote:
Bonus: the Safariland uses a wide variety of belt, molle, or clip on mounts so you can use the holster any way you like.

That's actually one of the biggest factors in the ALS holsters' lack of concealability. Safariland's method of centrally-mounted interchangeable belt attachments adds even more width to what are already bulky holsters. An ALS holster like the 6377 sticks directly out from my belt by a good 3 inches or so, and is boxy as hell. It's like strapping a brick to my belt.

My current duties require my duty gun to be carried openly at times, and concealed at other times. Myself and most of the other guys I work with use 6377/7377 holsters almost exclusively, and they work great when carried openly. But when concealed, I have to either look like an idiot wearing a baggy windbreaker in hot weather, or otherwise look like an obvious cop with a huge boxy bulge on the right side of my waist.

Hence my search for a slimmer Kydex pancake with side-mounted belt attachments, though still having Level II retention. Kydex pancake holsters are barely wider than the gun itself, and when combined with the offset side belt attachments, protrude minimally from the belt. Plus the flat, partly curved body makes for a more natural curve against the waist, enhancing concealment.

I tried an old school leather pancake with thumb break, and it worked better for concealment than the ALS holsters, but had several drawbacks. I didn't like the extra fiddling needed to resnap the thumb break, the fact that when unsnapped the thumb break can flop around and potentially get into the trigger guard during reholstering, and the minimal retention without the thumb break snapped. Plus I tend to bang my duty holsters around quite a bit, so kydex is a better choice than leather.

My current system is to use two holsters as needed: an IWB CTAC holster for concealment and an OWB ALS holster for open carry. That works, but it's a bit annoying if I have to switch holsters multiple times per day. And I run the risk of getting into a situation with the CTAC where I could use the extra safety of the retention holster.

So I'm hoping to be able to find one kydex pancake holster that will fill both open and concealed roles, having both Level II retention and still being easily concealable.

posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I usually wear my ALS rigs under a vest so I agree they will not hide well under a Polo shirt. My only other retention Kydex rig is a G Code holster which uses a system similar to the SLS but push to release. I use it for my G20 But it is much more bulky than the Safariland rig. No other help for you from me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post