SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are older P229's more valuable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are older P229's more valuable? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
OK...I'll try this again to make sure I'm ding it correctly...

I have an older .40 S&W P229, the one with the German frame. It's still under the "Sigarms" name. My question is, are these inherently more valuable because of the older design/manufacture. If so, why?

Should I retire mine to the gun safe to keep it in better condition, or should we just consider it a shooter...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on how one perceives value.

The same can be said with the P226.
An early P226 in the yellow box and white manual could be seen as valuable, but not rare.
A new P226 Navy chambered in 9x21 could be considered rare, but not valuable.
A P226 from 1983 chambered in 7.65mm with the original box, etc... would be both rare and valuable to some, irrelevant to others.

You should be fine with shooting it to your hearts content instead of saving it for somebody else years later.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229s aren’t rare guns. They’re not gonna be collectible. Plus that one doesn’t appear to have factory sights.

Some may pay a bit more for a ‘90s one, but nothing you’re gonna send your kids to college on. Maybe enough to fill up your gas tank.

Shoot it. Enjoy it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
OK...I'll try this again to make sure I'm ding it correctly...

I have an older .40 S&W P229, the one with the German frame. It's still under the "Sigarms" name. My question is, are these inherently more valuable because of the older design/manufacture. If so, why?

Should I retire mine to the gun safe to keep it in better condition, or should we just consider it a shooter...

It’s already a ‘shooter’. Carry on and enjoy that beauty.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
Agree with others - shoot it and carry it.

Regarding older P229s, for me I do have a particular affection for the triple serial P229s and I might pay a premium for those.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can add not already mentioned is get the original factory sights and store away if you ever want to return the 229 to original configuration. Sights available and fairly cheap now. Like many of the other W Germany Sigs models that were produced in quantity they may not be collectable but I would describe them as desirable.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are older P229's more valuable?

Sure, they are always more valuable/desirable to some folks. The real question is, how much more valuable (i.e., how much of a premium they are willing to pay). In your case, not much, if at all. Now, if you have a NIB/NOS early one with triple serials, and complete package, many fans probably will pay a huge premium for.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, shoot and enjoy

They are weakness and priceless to me.

For some reason I think the older ones WITHOUT a rail fits my hands perfectly.

The newer ones, that are not marked made in Germany did not fit my hand as tightly. I know it sounds crazy but it feels weird around the back strap.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
The early P229s do tend to have a natural feel to me as well. They just fit. I'd take one over a new railed model anyday. I have two triple serials one is AB the other AD. Both are in excellent condition.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post