SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need some CCW advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some CCW advice Login/Join 
posted
I now use a S&W Air Weight J-Frame and wish to get an auto to go along with it. I am thinking a Sig 365 or a S&W 2.0 Shield. Not to concerned with the mag capicity between the two. Are if any problems with the new 365 are they worked out? I think I may have read there were some. What do you all think is the better one?

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d go shield. It’s cheaper and proven, the sig is not. You may also want to check out a Glock 43.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know several people with the 365, including my brother. They have had zero problems. I know of one guy who works with my sister, whose shield came apart while firing.
I have a close friend who works at a gun shop owned by another friend of mine. He said he sells the 365s as fast as he can get them. He does carry a shield though.....so

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a shield with all the apex goodies and a p365 and I carry the p365--it fits my hand better and in my hands is the more accurate of the two.

Posts: 31 | Location: grove city ohio | Registered: August 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did you get down to these 2? A j frame would make me want an auto with a trigger longer, if not heavier than the shield or 365. Have you checked out Kahr's offerings?

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the same trigger experience as your snub, go with a P250 Subcompact or Compact.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:
Have you checked out Kahr's offerings?

I second the Kahr suggestion. I could not be happier with my PM9.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is a Sig forum and I am a Sig fan and so out of the two choices, I'll go for the 365. Not really a fan of this new fangled striker fired trigger for concealed carry. I kind of like it for competitive shooting but not for everyday carry... I like SA/DA or even double action only for that and so would suggest several other sigs over the 365 if that was a choice.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second the mention of the Kahr trigger if you're already used to the J frame. I've got a PM9 I carry if I'm not carrying my 340 M&P.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if you can rent and buy the one you shoot better.

Assuming I shoot them equally, I’d go with the P365. Personally, I have no use for a single stack pistol. The smallest gun I ever carry is a P229. Only because of recent back issues do I see the value of something tiny. Still haven’t quite gotten to buying, but definitely thinking about it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the P365 but just can't get myself to buy one right now due to prior issues. I understand every company has issues with a new pistol design and needs time to have the bugs worked out but it is a really nice design with great features. I have a S&W Shield (gen 1) and had to return it to S&W as I had one of the few pistols that had a frame/design flaw. It would not eject the magazine freely and now am waiting for S&W to send me a new one. I hope it is a gen 2. Shield as I have heard only good things about them,much like the gen 1(just not mine Big Grin).

I have a Glock 43 which I love shooting and carrying but bought a Shield to have both, as the Shield is a bit cheaper and has been around a while.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could buy 2 shields for the price of a 365, just saying

The shield had been around many years and is considered reliable. I still can’t believe the shield and Walther PPS are as cheap as they are right now

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Art, are you looking to an auto as a back up, or as an alternative?

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar situation recently. I alternately carried a 1911 or S&W J frame and wanted to go to one primary carry gun. I checked out several and narrowed it down to the 365 and Shield. Test fired both. Both were excellent guns and fit my hand well. I wasn't concerned about prior 365 issues or the round count difference. For me, The 365 was more precise in slow fire but the Shield was better in double and triple taps. I felt more in control of the Shield (2.0 version) and went with the shield.

I recommend that you find a range with rentals and try them out, your experience and preferences may be different than mine.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've had a Shield 1.0 for several years and put a front night site on and a Hogue sleeve.
The gun has been flawless and shoots like a larger gun in terms of comfort and accuracy. I haven't seen or heard of any major issues and I think they have made about a million of them.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Art, are you looking to an auto as a back up, or as an alternative?

Alternative. Only reason for my 638 is I can use it with snake shot when fishing some areas of Wyoming that have rattle snakes along with +p 38 Specials for other jobs. Have several Sigs. Two 220's and a M11 A-1.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Try a PPS m2 as well if you get the chance. You can find them in the low $300s right now.

I got the model with the RMSc installed and it's sweet. Really nice stock trigger. I had to add some talon grips though.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I have a 365. Love it, accurate, fits my hand perfectly, 10/12 rounds are nice. And you couldn't pay me to carry it. I consider it to be a "ticking time bomb"....never know if/when it's going to explode. So I bought a Kahr CM9 & a PPS M2. Interestingly, both combined were just a hair over the 365 cost. I carry both. I don't like either as much as the 365 but both are reliable and neither seem to be "ticking".

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post