SIGforum
New Wilson Combat WCP320

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3870039964

May 15, 2020, 03:30 PM
DanH
New Wilson Combat WCP320
I did get to the range with the Wilson Legion and got my Armory Craft Tungsten Rods for my frame in. As far as the rods go, I noticed very little difference in feel with the Wilson grip. Is it worth the $20? It doesn't hurt, but it won't radically change the balance or do anything special. It's not a "must have" feature.

As far as the Wilson grip vs the Tungsten grip, there's no contest. The Wilson walks all over the Legion frame. Even with Talon Grips in the TXG frame, the Wilson is grippier. The front/rear texturing is perfect, the starburst pattern on sides are nice without scratching up my palms, and the front/back taper to the grip feels much nicer than the XGrip baseball bat feel. The other weird thing is I found the trigger wall I've been crying about when the gun is loaded.

If I was doing this again, I'd save the money and buy a P320 RXP, the Wilson grip, and maybe the Armory Craft trigger. I would much prefer having co-witness night sights over what I'm forced with on the Legion setup.
May 15, 2020, 03:41 PM
sns3guppy
I'd disagree with the TXG vs. the Wilson. The wilson is ergonomic, and has a little more grip on the front and back strap. The weight of the TXG grip really shows up between shots. The Wilson grip, being lighter, may have an edge on transitioning between targets, given less inertia.

For carry, the Wilson grip is outstanding. For competition, I'd go with the TXG grip. The TXG shines with countering recoil and making for a more stable platform. It's a lot more extra weight to carry, and Sig does say that the TXG grip module shouldn't be used for carry or duty anyway (due to potential for cracking, though I haven't actually heard of any cases where that's occurred).

One of my TXG frames has been laser carved by Grayguns, and has plenty of traction al around.

Given that 9mm doesn't really leap out of the hand to begin with, a heavy frame isn't really necessary, but when it comes to a match, I like it.
May 15, 2020, 04:03 PM
DanH
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
One of my TXG frames has been laser carved by Grayguns, and has plenty of traction al around.

That I would like to try. Almost all of my complains with the TXG grip would be cured by stippling. A smaller grip would be nice, but a stipple or a M&P 2.0/Wilson front texture would be great.
May 15, 2020, 04:23 PM
sns3guppy
Something that I think Sig would have been smart to offer would be optional grip panels, or a recess that allowed putting optional grip tapes on front and rear-strap, and side panels. Instead of covering what's there, if they'd recessed it a 1/32nd or so, maybe even just 1/64, with a smooth surface to allow adhesion, the user could have had a choice of textures to put in there to suit their tastes.

Unfortunately, when I talked to Grayguns about doing texture on the TXG grip, they said they had a 1:10 success rate, because of inclusions and imperfections in the grip; the grips are expensive and there's more waste than success with the finished product. They told me that they had one grip, not for sale, sitting on the desk, and finally let me have it.

It's a shame, because the finished product really is just about perfect. Like their other textured grips, just enough, not too much, looks great, feels great, stays in place, and doesn't snag clothing or concealment gear, or anything else. There's got to be a way to do it, but the question would be whether it could be done in a cost effective manner. Apparently that's unlikely, given their efforts so far, but the finished product that I got is outstanding. I'm very happy with it. I wish they were able to offer more, because I could use more.

I suspect that the demand may not be high enough to justify the risk of texturing more, at least for the time being.

The Wilson grip is really outstanding. I love it. That said, I'm a fan of Grayguns. I attended a course a few years ago just to meet Bryce Gray, who was there, and wasn't at all disappointed. A very nice guy, very knowledgable, he's an experienced shooter who can back up anything he says; his equipment does just what he says it does, and it's got 150% support behind that. Their customer service is fantastic. Their products are excellent and I can't say enough good about them; my soapbox for Grayguns, in a Wilson thread. The Wilson pistol comes with some Grayguns parts, though...another testament to Grayguns. Did I mention I really like Grayguns?
May 16, 2020, 02:49 PM
akaSigFreak

May 16, 2020, 09:19 PM
Boxer9
320 X Carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
May 20, 2020, 12:14 PM
tomgun
I received my grip module from armory craft yesterday.
Excellent service from them, and I agree the grip texture and shape is great.
I liked my 320 legion already, now I love it.
Of course it now has the Wilson cool factor too!
May 20, 2020, 01:13 PM
Boxer9
quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
I received my grip module from armory craft yesterday.
Excellent service from them, and I agree the grip texture and shape is great.
I liked my 320 legion already, now I love it.
Of course it now has the Wilson cool factor too!

Now that you know you like it, use that $10 coupon they gave you to preorder the tungsten weights. I just installed mine last night. Its subtle.

The Wilson module weighs 1.5 oz less than the factory Carry module. The weights add weight back low and back in your palm.

Its subtle in regular grip of the pistol. If you have the grip module empty, when you add the weights it doesn't feel a lot like much has changed, but if you grab it by the dust cover/rail, you can definitely feel it.
That may not seem significant. But if you consider all of the scalloping for grip ergos, the rail cuts, etc. And that equals the lesser weight. Then you add that weight back to the very bottom back of the grip. Seems like a plus to me. Especially for $20 before your $10 coupon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
May 20, 2020, 03:14 PM
tomgun
Thanks I will order those weights.
I’m not sure if this is a downside or an upside, but my wife really likes the feel of this new grip. The last time she said that she took over my HK VP-9.
We’ll try to put a few rounds through it this weekend.
May 20, 2020, 04:55 PM
Rick_Perry
I really wish they made a Wilson Grip Mod for the Sig P320X Compact.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
May 20, 2020, 07:55 PM
akaSigFreak
I have heard a few people were cutting down the Carry size. How good are you at chopping polymer?
May 20, 2020, 08:32 PM
sns3guppy
Originally, Wilson said they weren't planning on making a Compact. I believe they've since said that they are.

Given the popularity of their grip module, there's likely a decent market.
May 21, 2020, 12:17 PM
ctdw
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:

This!
May 26, 2020, 03:18 PM
tomgun
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention those armorycraft custom Wilson grip modules with the laser etching and tungsten grey finish
Has anyone tried one?
I spoke to milos about those this morning he said he really likes them
May 27, 2020, 12:00 AM
DanH
Is there any real difference besides the Tungsten Gray Cerakote and a few Armory Craft logos?
May 27, 2020, 12:51 AM
tomgun
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Is there any real difference besides the Tungsten Gray Cerakote and a few Armory Craft logos?

Milos said they do some laser etching which gives it a little better grip texture, especially on the sides.
June 06, 2020, 05:20 PM
tomgun
I just received my laser etched grip module.
The texture is outstanding. Is it worth the extra $$$? To me it is, YMMV.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomgun,
June 25, 2020, 01:11 PM
ctdw
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:

They just released the "Carry II" model which will fit the X-Compact slide but has a 17 round grip length. I just ordered one to try on my X-Compact.
June 25, 2020, 09:48 PM
Rotty37

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
June 25, 2020, 11:10 PM
DanH
The WCP320 Carry is here:

Same price as the other one. Still no GrayGuns trigger kit or optic cut standard (or any optic option period).