SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DIY Glock (more or less)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Glock (more or less) Login/Join 
posted
To combat cabin fever here in the Frozen North, I have been looking at the Polymer 80 DIY Kit as a project. If I do this, I will use mostly Glock parts but improve the trigger, sights and maybe bling the slide. I have the tools (the gun plumbers friend - the Dremel) and have watched the videos. Does not seem to0 difficult.
Questions:
Has anyone in the hive actually done one?
With what results?
And the big question is, is it cost effective? If I use my current slide it looks like I could do it for around $350. Of course it could run quite a bit more if I bling it up.
If anyone has built one, how much did you sink into it?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Gen 3 frame from legion precision for $65 and am building from there. I am still waiting for parts but from what I can tell it will be a bit above Blue Line/GSSF price but likely the same or slightly less than buying a full gun and adding a few other things. The bright side is you are paying for what you want. As for the poly route, it seems like a fun project but since I got a good deal on the frame I didnt feel like I benefited from the poly frame and theres no risk.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Of course it could run quite a bit more if I bling it up.

Yeah, that is where I lost the budget right there. Then started looking at Titanium Nitride parts, a Salient trigger, Dragonfly slide, box fluted barrels, and a Trijicon RMR...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've been resisting. I love a good tinkering project. I'll blink and have way over a grand into it over the course of 6 months.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just the latest way to spend $1500K, just $50-$100 at a time....

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a thread about the P80 kits this past October where I commented about putting mine together.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I understand is these have a different grip angle and are smaller. More like the SA XD, Sig P series or 1911. Is that correct?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the grip is more 1911 than Glock, if that can even be a valid comparison. And the 75 buck Gen 3 lower (with locking block) from Legion Precision may be an easier route to go. After the transfer fee, that puts it in Polymer 80 territory, cost wise, with no Dremel needed. Thanks for the info on that!

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grip angle is more 1911'esq. Very comfortable and it point very naturally for me. The full size version 1.0 and 1.5 were really nothing to be desired. In the middle of that P80 came out with the compact version which was a pretty good iteration. Then came the full size 2.0. It went together like the compact model and uses stainless rear rails and has very doable milling or material removal. I started off with a full 1.5 and then ended up with a full 2.0. I could not be happier. Rumor is P80 is working on a subcompact (G26) version.

My first build with the v2.0 frame utilized all stock Glock parts in order to ensure reliability; Glock upper and Glock lower parts kit. Had a fully functioning pistol in under an hour. Next up was the addition of a Swenson slide and barrel with Glock upper parts kit. Ran flawlessly. Then AIM had a sale on Zev slides and things went sideways. Below is the end result.

The pics are sub-par and really don't do the gun justice. It is now a Faux-G34 and there is very little OEM Glock left. It runs like a top and is dead nuts accurate. I also found a Zev G17 slide in the same pattern (Prizefighter). It is still in the box waiting for a full build someday. For those of us that build out own AR pattern rifles, this is really the next logical step. Great tinkering project. For those that say "You can buy a REAL Glock cheaper". Yes you can, but that is not the point now is it.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ That's a cool build!

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You can buy a stripped Gen3 frame for $75 from Glockstore.com and build it up. That’s the route I would go.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
The grip angle is more 1911'esq. Very comfortable and it point very naturally for me. The full size version 1.0 and 1.5 were really nothing to be desired. In the middle of that P80 came out with the compact version which was a pretty good iteration. Then came the full size 2.0. It went together like the compact model and uses stainless rear rails and has very doable milling or material removal. I started off with a full 1.5 and then ended up with a full 2.0. I could not be happier. Rumor is P80 is working on a subcompact (G26) version.

My first build with the v2.0 frame utilized all stock Glock parts in order to ensure reliability; Glock upper and Glock lower parts kit. Had a fully functioning pistol in under an hour. Next up was the addition of a Swenson slide and barrel with Glock upper parts kit. Ran flawlessly. Then AIM had a sale on Zev slides and things went sideways. Below is the end result.

The pics are sub-par and really don't do the gun justice. It is now a Faux-G34 and there is very little OEM Glock left. It runs like a top and is dead nuts accurate. I also found a Zev G17 slide in the same pattern (Prizefighter). It is still in the box waiting for a full build someday. For those of us that build out own AR pattern rifles, this is really the next logical step. Great tinkering project. For those that say "You can buy a REAL Glock cheaper". Yes you can, but that is not the point now is it.

Me likes. I built one similar on a Glock frame

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Me likes. I built one similar on a Glock frame

That is the exact slide I have...in a box...waiting for a build. That rig looks great!

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Those are nice looking guns. I can't figure out why someone (Agency, Salient, Zev, etc...)isn't using them as the OEM frame for a full branded "not-Glock" yet.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason, the v1.0 and 1.5 of the full size P80 frames look very similar to the Lonewolf frames. Or, maybe it is just me.

Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
For some reason, the v1.0 and 1.5 of the full size P80 frames look very similar to the Lonewolf frames. Or, maybe it is just me.

I think that's what happens when you take the hump off a Glock.My CCF raceframe looks like a Lonewolf too.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Other than the trigger guard that looks really tempting. I was going to wait for a Gen5 17 or 19 to come my way, but dang.

After taking my Gen4 19 to the Dremel and doing the undercut trigger guard, zipping off the finger grooves, and using only the top half of a beavertail backstrap I finally have a Glock I enjoy shooting.

I need to go look at what options they have.

Edit: Looks like the overly aggressive trigger guard is the only option.

Is anyone making a clean Gen4 lower? I'm sticking with pistols I can setup for left handed mag releases only now.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want cost effectiveness, buy a Glock, or maybe a factory Glock-off like an M&P (which may be better for the money.)

There are two reasons for building an 80% Glock. First, just to have a DIY project for it's own sake. People like to tinker. Second, to have a fully off the books ghost gun.

But if you're going to do the latter, buy everything at gun shows for cash. If someone (ATF, other LE agencies) wants to start looking of these things, they're going to start subpoenaing records for on-line suppliers of Glock parts, looking for buyers of the frame kits, and/or parts sets minus a frame.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After all the responses, I am going with the $75 stripped frame and go piece by piece from there. Just seems smarter.
Thanks for the advice!