SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gold bead sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold bead sights Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like fiber front sights better. But a gold bead is good.

+1 on this. Fiber optic is my pick for a front sight to be used in daylight and a gold is my next choice.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Now, what color fiber optic? They say that the human eye detects green the brightest, but sometimes I feel that the color red stands out more than green in certain backgrounds.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I prefer green in a fiber optic.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a gold bead front with a 10-8 rear on my EMP.
It was nice, but I sold the pistol shortly thereafter..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason to pick gold over brass? I assume it dosen't tarnish? I'm asking because I just picked up a surplus FN Hi Power and am going to send the slide to Novak for some sights. I was just going to throw some springs in it but decided "what the hell, lets do it up". I dont want something that will wear out (tritium) or something that may break (fiber optic) so I ended up on a brass or gold front. Just curious if the gold will be worth the cost.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with either, but from what I've read they have different optical properties, with gold being better in a wider range of lighting conditions. IIRC, if there's any ambient light, the gold will "pick up" the light and reflect it back, where brass won't. I don't know if that difference would matter in any significant manner, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have one on my m29 and one on my BHP, i think they are great. I am 43 and my eyes have never been great.

I also use them on my DG rifles....very fast

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gold bead on my Beretta 92 Elite II. Love it. Prefer it to my FO for range use. For real use I still am a Trijicon HD guy, those are pretty much my favorite. Wish they made them std height though. Odd how tall they are.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gold beads on all my carry Glocks...

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith to fit one or make on for my p220's?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Fiber optic works good for my old eyes.
If I can't see the front sight I probably can't see the target either, maybe I should hold off on pulling the trigger.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ Gold won't tarnish like brass.

The knock on gold beads has always been the different sight picture that it can give depending on the angle and strength of the light.

For performance, I'd much rather have a fiber optic sight. But astetically a gold bead sight just looks so much better. That matters on some guns more than others obviously.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I recently put a gold bead front and a ghost ring rear on my 4" GP100/.357. It's super quick and easy to pick up the gold bead and it naturally centers itself in the ring, so it's a speedy setup to use. Not the best for long range accuracy, but it works great in the sun and in the indoor range. Since I'm not planning on shooting in total darkness, it should work fine with a flashlight alongside. Then again, it's not my personal defense or home defense gun, either. I pretty much only use it at the range.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need a P220 gold bead.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like fiber front sights better. But a gold bead is good.

Me too. I prefer a green Fiber Optic front sight and black U rear sight (as a lot of paper targets are orange or red and the red FO blends into it). But gold beads are better than just a black front sight. The green is more of a flourescant green so it doesn't blend in with vegetation and is still easy to pick up outdoors.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post