SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gold bead sights
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold bead sights Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like fiber front sights better. But a gold bead is good.

+1 on this. Fiber optic is my pick for a front sight to be used in daylight and a gold is my next choice.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 7914 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Now, what color fiber optic? They say that the human eye detects green the brightest, but sometimes I feel that the color red stands out more than green in certain backgrounds.

Posts: 5666 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
posted Hide Post
I prefer green in a fiber optic.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 7914 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a gold bead front with a 10-8 rear on my EMP.
It was nice, but I sold the pistol shortly thereafter..

Certified iPhone and Glock fan-boi..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Posts: 3598 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason to pick gold over brass? I assume it dosen't tarnish? I'm asking because I just picked up a surplus FN Hi Power and am going to send the slide to Novak for some sights. I was just going to throw some springs in it but decided "what the hell, lets do it up". I dont want something that will wear out (tritium) or something that may break (fiber optic) so I ended up on a brass or gold front. Just curious if the gold will be worth the cost.

Posts: 6497 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with either, but from what I've read they have different optical properties, with gold being better in a wider range of lighting conditions. IIRC, if there's any ambient light, the gold will "pick up" the light and reflect it back, where brass won't. I don't know if that difference would matter in any significant manner, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 690 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have one on my m29 and one on my BHP, i think they are great. I am 43 and my eyes have never been great.

I also use them on my DG rifles....very fast

Posts: 6245 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gold bead on my Beretta 92 Elite II. Love it. Prefer it to my FO for range use. For real use I still am a Trijicon HD guy, those are pretty much my favorite. Wish they made them std height though. Odd how tall they are.

Posts: 1232 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post