SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P226 really is the G.O.A.T.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P226 really is the G.O.A.T. Login/Join 
posted
So, I have a bunch of weapons, the wife calls it “the Arsenal”. After 15 years of buying, shooting and swapping many semi-auto pistols, I’ve come to a final conclusion; the P226 9mm series is the king. I don’t shoot any of my pistols better, the ergos fit me, the recoil is negligible, the operation/manual of arms intuitive. Over the years, I sold my 92FS, BHP, FN9, G19/22/23. I still have my HK USP40 and P30 as well as my Dan Wesson 1911...but they aren’t the ones I’ll grab if I’m in harms way. There are three P226s (TacOps, West German Police trade in with the AEP/SRT work from Sig Custom) that are the go-to pistols if some real goes “bump” in the night. I recently had a problematic P320 RX that got sold as well, and frankly, the P226 was more accurate in my hands and MUCH better built. P365 for concealed carry is the sole exception.

It seems logical, generally shooting and being an expert with one gun, one manual of arms, seems to be a good idea.

My friend and coworkers know I’m a gun guy, when they ask me my advice from this point forward I’m suggesting one pistol only. It won’t be “should you get it” it should be “which P226 should you get”. Just thought I’d share the results of my very unscientific, long-term study by preaching to the choir. I used to work with a former Navy Seal for many years who shared this opinion about the pistol.

Based on the comments about the P226 Legion...keep me away! I don’t need to be another grand-plus lighter!

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The P226 is no doubt one of the best, but, GOAT is in the hands of the beholder.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my P226 Legion and I have well over 30,000 rounds through it.

The P30L is my number one choice though. Having said that, I'm a certified instructor and I don't dictate what handgun a student should get. I steer them towards several options and let them decide what fits their hands, needs and application.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Baaaaaah! Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GreenDragoon, I recently bought an HK P30 (not the L, like John Wick) and I’ve only got about 100 rounds through it. I liked it but didn’t love it, it was a little jumpier in the hands than the P226...makes sense, it’s a much lighter gun. I love the grips and the ergonomics, but I’ll likely need to change the stock sights; it’s the type that only glow when you shine a light on them, kinda like a kid’s Halloween toy out of a cereal box. Smile. Definitely need more time with it, but shooting side-by-side with my P226 TacOps I definitely shot better with the Sig.

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree, but it's hard to put a GOAT label on a single gun. As a duty or range gun, yeah. As a summer ccw, maybe a G19 or p365 would get more points.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by utex1988:
So, I have a bunch of weapons, the wife calls it “the Arsenal”. After 15 years of buying, shooting and swapping many semi-auto pistols, I’ve come to a final conclusion; the P226 9mm series is the king. I don’t shoot any of my pistols better, the ergos fit me, the recoil is negligible, the operation/manual of arms intuitive. Over the years, I sold my 92FS, BHP, FN9, G19/22/23. I still have my HK USP40 and P30 as well as my Dan Wesson 1911...but they aren’t the ones I’ll grab if I’m in harms way. There are three P226s (TacOps, West German Police trade in with the AEP/SRT work from Sig Custom) that are the go-to pistols if some real goes “bump” in the night. I recently had a problematic P320 RX that got sold as well, and frankly, the P226 was more accurate in my hands and MUCH better built. P365 for concealed carry is the sole exception.

It seems logical, generally shooting and being an expert with one gun, one manual of arms, seems to be a good idea.

My friend and coworkers know I’m a gun guy, when they ask me my advice from this point forward I’m suggesting one pistol only. It won’t be “should you get it” it should be “which P226 should you get”. Just thought I’d share the results of my very unscientific, long-term study by preaching to the choir. I used to work with a former Navy Seal for many years who shared this opinion about the pistol.

Based on the comments about the P226 Legion...keep me away! I don’t need to be another grand-plus lighter!

I agree. I sent my 226 to Robert Burke and it is my go to gun. It goes everywhere I go. Sometimes I think that I should join the Glock club but I just cannot find one I like as much as my 226. They just don't measure up to the 226.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgun45
posted Hide Post
I disagree. Fine pistol, but I now prefer CZ-75 platform.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've only heard good things about CZ... starting with years ago from G. Gordon Liddy on the radio... but have never shot one....

I started collecting Rugers years ago and pretty much the now old and 'out dated' p series in 9mm...
trying to find a gun for my wife to shoot (lost cause) I picked up a Sig P230 and loved it for the way it felt and carried.... still do... then 5 years ago was going back to a 4 day defensive hand gun class and had too much money in the bank and dropped by a local gun shop and ended up with a basic P226 with the E2 grips.... DAMN! since then a few more P226's and even a couple other Sigs... not one of them has ever failed to fire or malfunction.... and they all will put a round where it is supposed to go if I do my part.

If I had to grab one pistol to head out into the wild with it would defiantly be the Sig Sauer P226.
(I joined the Legion back in November thanks to a fellow member here.)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I love the P226 and still have a couple Germans and an XFive left. The folded slides are the best in my hands for balance.
However, I shoot the CZ75 platform the best and the P226's don't get the attention they deserve.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by utex1988:

I've been thinking of starting a VERY similar thread. I agree wholeheartedly!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The P226 is no doubt one of the best, but, GOAT is in the hands of the beholder.

QFT.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Different Goats for different folks! As far as Sig P series goes, you’ll get a lot of P229 fans that would contend it is superior because it equals the attributes of the P226 but in a more compact size.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The P226 of mine that I'll give the nod to would be the Allround. Got a deal on it and it is flawless.

Calling something the greatest depends on its intended use. For shooting bowling pins, would I want to knock the pin down or blow it in half?

The Allround is great for the knocking them over, but I had splintered the thing with five rounds from a Desert Eagle. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty is definitley in the eye of the beholder. The P226/228/229 could all be lumped together as the goat. Now that I have a West German Nickel P228 I would say I have one of the all time best, but for me the double stacks are a bit big and the P225 would be my GOAT sig. Best feel , best fit in the hand, most accurate, and easier to CC. Interesting how other comments reflect gun owners with what seems like more than a few, and I would bet each acquisition was the GOAT until they bought the next one.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best pistol is determined via an opinion by the user, as there will never be a definitive set of criteria to segregate models. One might as well attempt to delineate the best car, truck, house, or whatever item one deals with on a daily basis.

The P226 is a very good pistol. It may or may not be the best ever. I won't use the hackneyed G-word.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately for me, the P226 has escaped my clutches.
I always admired the 226, and perhaps I’ll look into the 226 in the future.
At this moment in time for me, it’s all P365.
I’d like to put a P320 in my gathering of pistols some day.
So the P226 keeps getting farther away.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I like the P226. IMO, the S&W 5906 is equal.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
the P226 is the first pistol I ever bought and is still my favorite to shoot. It is my bedside reach for gun. The P229 and P239 are my go to for carry only because of size. I too prefer one manual of arms.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Iranians agree

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post