SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P226 really is the G.O.A.T.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P226 really is the G.O.A.T. Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Not that anyone cares but I agree with the OP. Original P226 is my absolutely favorite handgun. I fell in love the first time I picked it up and the honeymoon continues 25 years and tens of thousands of rounds later.

Don’t really understand why everyone feels the need to tell the OP he’s wrong. GOAT is obviously subjective opinion and that is kinda what Internet forums are about. In my subjective opinion Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3182 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woof:
The Iranians agree

"To hell and back reliability" sums that one up.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigp6
posted Hide Post
Amen brother! First gun I ever bought - 1988. Love that pistol...

Every once in a while I like to masturbate a big word into a conversation - even if I'm not sure what it means.

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I had conquered all the abbreviations but obviously not - G O A T -and QFT??

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwmac:
I thought I had conquered all the abbreviations but obviously not - G O A T ...??

Although I try to make it a principle to carefully ignore threads and posts with obscure references and acronyms or abbreviations, especially the obviously trendy ones of the moment that require being under 18 to be familiar with, I couldn’t stand seeing this one on the first page of the pistols section any longer and looked it up:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/g-o-a-t/

(“Greatest of all time.”)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwmac:
QFT??

Quantum Formula Theory Smile

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the p-6 for carrying and banging around. Some German policeman already put some honest wear on it and the price was very reasonable.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:

(“Greatest of all time.”)

I was just ignoring my trying to figure it out.... the discussion that followed kind of explained it.. even though I was thinking more in the line of "GO TO"..... or the hand gun you would choose over all others..... I don't know that I would go so far as to say "Greatest of All Time"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I am a staunch proponent of the P226, but couldn't name it, or any pistol the GOAT. Glad you enjoy it though, I do too

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to think that the P226 was the best, could not be improved upon. However after I bought a P320 Fullsize, I (gasp) sold my P226 Allround, which I NEVER thought would happen.

The P320 has a better trigger, IMO. Also it is far easier to clean.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
quote:
Originally posted by Woof:
The Iranians agree

"To hell and back reliability" sums that one up.

Its a PC9 ZOAF an Iranian knockoff

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All things being equal, I tend to agree with the OP. Different strokes for different folks, I know, but if we're simply talking about one single handgun that checks all the boxes, the P226 is likely at the top with the gold medal around its neck.

I listened to Marcus Luttrell's podcast with Mike Day, the SEAL who was shot 27 times with AKs by 2 terrorists while clearing a room alone in Fallujah. He ran his M4 dry and transitioned to his P226 and killed them both, even after the P226 had been shot up and damaged so badly that Day could "feel the springs and moving parts in my hand." Day's account alone is enough to convince me that the P226 is the GOAT, but I didn't need convincing before!

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The P226 is a undoubtedly a good gun. But is it the GOAT? Can you even specify a GOAT.

It's not the GOAT of CCW guns. It's just too damn big and heavy. A lot of people won't agree with it being the GOAT since it's hammer fired DA/SA. Note that that fire control system is dying off.

So is it the GOAT, probably not. But it's not bad.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post