SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 45 magazine recommendations please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 45 magazine recommendations please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have an equal amount of Wilson 47D's and the CMC power mags. Love them both. I get the CMC's with LE pricing that makes the a lot cheaper than the Wilson's, but even at retail, I would buy them and be satisfied and confident in them. I would rather buy them for everything than buy the cheaper ones for range only.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of mecgar 8 round mags that work great.

Peter

Posts: 89 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For me, Wilson Combat 47s (the 7-rounders) with Wilson’s low-profile steel basepad.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the experience you all have brought into the thread.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
Metalform or Checkmate mags. If your 1911 needs fancy mags to operate properly then get the gun fixed.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson or Tripp work graeat. For 9mm 1911's they have been really reliable for me.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Kimpro 7-round flush fit

Metalform Elite 8-round extended

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
CMC Power Mags, and Wilson Combat.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PowerMags or Wilson. Checkmate mags have also worked perfectly for me too.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Checkmate mags and they all have functioned flawlessly. These are the ones with the dimple on the follower not the earlier ones with no dimples. There were issues with the earlier mags that created the poor reputation but they've fixed the issue and the current mags are just fine.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again everybody. I've now got a short list of endorsed magazines. I've got some Chip McCormick Power Mags coming and I'm looking for sales on Wilson magazines as well as Mec-Gar and Metalform.

I gave my son my last remaining 1911 pistol and all my magazines a year or so ago. I had not shot a 1911 for some years and probably hadn't shopped for mags since the 90's. Now suddenly I've become interested again and bought myself another 1911 pistol. I needed to be re-educated as to which magazines are best. It seems that mission is accomplished.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a dozen or so 7 round Pachmayrs that have been perfect over the last 30 years. For 8 rounds, I have had great success with Wilson and McCormick.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tripp have been the best I've used. Wilson are good too.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I own / use and are satisfied with Checkmate, Colt and Tripp.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
Metalform or Checkmate mags. If your 1911 needs fancy mags to operate properly then get the gun fixed.

Agreed! Metalforms (with the round followers) have worked with every 1911 I’ve owned.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Tripp but the CMC's I have are also fine. Ironically, both of the "new to me" Dan Wesson Guardian 8-round magazines have had a FTE when loaded with 8-rounds (really tight).

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:

Agreed! Metalforms (with the round followers) have worked with every 1911 I’ve owned.

I have about 10 Metalform 1911 mags that I have used for indoor bullseye matches, they even have the flat followers with the pimple, all have functioned 100%. Then again though, they only get loaded to five rounds.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Tripp research

Or

Wilson 47d's with a Tripp conversion kit. It drops the capacity to 7 but makes them flawless for a long time. The 8 round 47d springs tend to fade bad over time

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same Colt marked 7 round mag that came with the Combat Commander I bought back in 1988. It's been good to go so a couple more of the same variety have been added to the lineup. Does/Did Colt make those magazines in their own factory? If not which manufacturer makes these for Colt?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
I personally would not carry without using Wilson ETM. Mix in Wilson 47D/47C metal baseplate for range.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post