SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 45 magazine recommendations please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 45 magazine recommendations please Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for advice about 45acp 1911 magazines for use on the target range. Should I look for 8rd mags or avoid them and stick with 7rd mags? Are there magazines for under $20 that are reliable and durable or is spending more worth it in the long run? What brands are preferred and which should be avoided? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Target range only, I don't care about the guaranteed failure my Checkmates cause feeding the last round. And I'm not kidding, I'm pretty sure it's 100% failure rate for me.

But if I was ever forced to carry a 1911, I'd pick up some Wilson 47D and CMC Power Mags and see which worked best. I'd expect both to work without hiccup, but I'd have to test to see.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Wilson 7 and 8 round mags have never let me down. Neither have the slightly more expensive Tripp Research mags. Just grab the Wilson of your liking and get at it. They'll run about $5-8 north of your $20 estimate, but are very much worth it. Lots of options too...stainless, black, standard floor plate, slim floor plate, large "tactical" floor plate...

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I have only used Wilson Combat in mine. So far they are %100. 1K rounds through them total.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Chip McCormick power mags and also Ed Brown mags for me.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I use WILSON, McCORMICK, oem KIMBER and SPRINGFIELD in mine. I haven't had any issue except the WILSON 8rd magazines are really hard to seat with a round in the chamber. So I use them with 7rds loaded.

Watch CDNN for sales on magazines. Greg Cote is a member here, his site is GREG COTE LLC. He has good prices and reasonable shipping costs. Many on the KIMBER forum swear by JOE'S MAGAZINES.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat 500 ETM 8rd magazines are my favorite, FWIW.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I pretty use Wilson 47Ds.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D. For everything.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the magazine brands mentioned so far, Chip McCormick Power Mags are available at the lowest price. I found them on sale for $22.89/ea. I'll probably order a 4 or 5 of those and maybe one Wilson ETM for comparison. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D is good for 7 rounds, ETM for 8 rounds, CMCs are reliable, I prefer Tripps in mine.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer the newer 8 round Wilson ETM 500 magazines.

The older 8 round Wilson 47Ds are also pretty good, but I've relegated mine to range mags, and stick to ETMs as carry mags.

Magazine quality is an important factor for 1911 reliability. Quality 8 round mags are fine as long as they're purpose-built 8 round mags with slightly elongated bodies. Trying to cram 8 rounds in a 7 round magazine body with modified springs, floorplates, and followers is not a recipe for success.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Metalform makes a good magazine for a decent price.
My Ed Brown 1911 came with Metalform mags. If they're good enough for Ed, they're good enough for me.
I've never had any problems with them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More good information. I'll have to order a few Metalform magazines and put them in the mix. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

posted Hide Post
I bought several magazines from Brownell's. When they got here, they were MecGar magazines. Less than $20 and totally reliable.
ProMag are useless and Checkmate are not that good either.
John

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Wilson 47D. For everything.

Yep.

I have a stack of them that are used in all my 1911s.
All 8 rounders and have never failed and have been 100% unless I screwed up a case while reloading them.

LOOK FOR SALES! I would never and haven't ever paid full hit retail.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Chip McCormick, Metalform and MecGar.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Wilson or Tripp Research Cobra mags.

That's all I use.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
A year or two ago Guntests did a study over about two years of 1911 magazines. Not surprisingly the Wilson magazines did well. But their “Best Buy” was Mecgar magazines. They performed just as well as the best Wison for a lot less. Consiering who Mecgar makes magazines for (Beretta, SIG, CZ) I as not surprised. You might want to research the article on their website and buy it. I’ll also look to see if I stil have it tonight when I get home.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had dozens of Metalform 7-rounders, those originally came with my two Springfield Professionals, and I bought a bunch more directly from Metalform at a very reasonable price. I relegated them to range work when I blew out several floor plates in several Gunsite classes over a two year period. Stainless Wilson 47D's with metal Wilson slam pads for me.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post