SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What did you learn today at the range?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you learn today at the range? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I always hope when I go to the range I'm doing more than just turning money into smoke and noise. I'll be honest, there are days where that happens, but it's not the goal. Some days I learn something entirely new...that awesome "AHA" moment where everything just clicks and suddenly makes sense. Other days it's a reminder of something I should have known already.

Today was one of the second type. I took the GP100 out and shot the plate rack double-action for a bit, and was missing too many shots, so I switched to paper. I was shooting a printout of the 9-ring in of a B27, from 17 yards. My first two rounds were way out on the outer edge of the 9 ring, and then I realized what I was doing...I was staging the trigger. On my next shot, I focused on a smooth consistent pull all the way through. The next four shots were in the x-ring, as were the next six after that.

So what things have clicked for you at the range lately? Any new discoveries or things you've remembered that you've applied and seen results? Hopefully through sharing we can all learn a bit.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Learned recently that tinkering with whatever is at hand seems to be my only constant.

My latest misadventure hasn't been finished yet, makes it more fun each time.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
One day I learned that when your female co-worker is thinking about her ex, she can do 2" groups with a standard issue Beretta.

We were doing pistol practice/qual on the deck of the USS Tarawa and that is the answer CWO3 Hicks gave after being asked "how did you learn to shoot do well? "

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Range therapy days where you just turn a box or two of ammo into smoke and noise are one of my saving graces. Smile

Not recently but figuring out and fixing the low left Glock shot was a big win for me.

At my last USPSA match I tried concentrating on my shooting fundamentals at the expense of speed and fancy stage planning. I was just wanting to see how clean I could shoot the match while still being slightly competitive but I ended up higher in the pack than usual and my speed only dropped off a few seconds for the entire day. What I took away is that I expected my basic marksmanship and "muscle memory" to just be there on demand and is why my scores have been less than my best lately. A good reminder to have a better plan at the range and maybe take another class or two.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day I learned that when your female co-worker is thinking about her ex, she can do 2" groups with a standard issue Beretta

We're the shots impacting the groin region of the silhouette, too? Big Grin.

Our secretary at the PD likes to shoot with us, and she's pretty consistent but has a nasty flinch. There is definitely a target with the groin shot out that she hung behind her desk outside the squad room. It's a good reminder not to piss her off Big Grin.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just wanting to see how clean I could shoot the match while still being slightly competitive but I ended up higher in the pack than usual and my speed only dropped off a few seconds for the entire day.

That's a good one. I've definitely seen the same outcome myself. You can't say too much for the fundamentals...I have to consciously force myself to keep focusing on them as I try to speed up.

posted Hide Post
Loctite and level your own scope.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
two weeks ago I went to our east coast Ruger.com gathering and the host sets up a combat competition course which only a few of us try.. I learned that I need to 'drive the gun' while moving from one set of targets to the nest.... in other words you point the gun at the next set of targets not up or down....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
One day I learned that when your female co-worker is thinking about her ex, she can do 2" groups with a standard issue Beretta

We're the shots impacting the groin region of the silhouette, too? Big Grin.

Our secretary at the PD likes to shoot with us, and she's pretty consistent but has a nasty flinch. There is definitely a target with the groin shot out that she hung behind her desk outside the squad room. It's a good reminder not to piss her off Big Grin.

Nah, it was the Navy, a few degrees north of the equator and heading due west after leaving Singapore - we were using 8.5"x11" printer paper.

She did keep it pinned at her desk with a handwritten date. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Learned I have developed the ability to shoot left with every gun I have taken to the range when I wear my sunglasses.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of late I shoot mostly rapid fire sequences, while indexing the outline of the weapon on the IDPA target along with movement. This I do on my own private range.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Today I learned that pistol shooting is a perishable skill.
I built a small range on my place and it’s been months since I’ve had the time or the inclination to walk down there and shoot.
I recently traded into a Rock Island dbl stack 1911 combo...9MM & 22TCM.
I ran one magazine of 22TCM through it and came back to the house disgusted with MY performance.

I just really need to get back into it. The weather won’t be this nice for long. Cooler and drier will soon turn into colder & wetter.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thursday the 17th was the last time I went to the range. I learned that a STEN MK5 was more ergonomic and easier to shoot than a STEN Mk 2. But that both were a lot of fun.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I shot the Blackhawk, did some chronograph work, and spent some time focusing on follow-through. It's amazing the way groups will tighten up just through front sight focus, and keeping the eyes in place all the way through recoil and then back on target. It's also amazing how quickly they will open back up again when I start slacking off!

I also learned that my 4 5/8" Blackhawk convertible really is better in .45ACP than .45 Colt. The .45 ACP load I'm using seems to be more accurate, and has a higher muzzle velocity. The shorter cases get pushed all the way out of the cylinder every time by the ejector, unlike the .45 Colt cases that are too long (the ejector rod bottoms out before fully ejecting them) and usually have to be picked out by hand. Not to mention the brass is cheaper and easier to come by for free. I like the option of .45 Colt for heavy woods loads, but for range time I think I'm sticking to .45 ACP.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If it hasn't been addressed by you already, your 45 Colt cylinder's throats are probably like 85%+ of them to ever leave the factory... undersized. (squeezing the bullet down too small for the rifling) That would certainly explain why the 45ACP cylinder is more accurate, when there are reasons it shouldn't be.

(I corrected probably close to a thousand of them over the years, but I'm out the business, not fishing for work. lol)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense was at Ky Gun Co today, and had a few guns that you could demo in KyGunCo’s indoor range.
One of the rifles had a Trijicon MRO on it, so I gave it a try. I learned that I really like the MRO, and that all the reviews I have read were spot on!
They also had a REAL MK18, full auto 10.3” gun. It had a Vortex Huey on it. I learned that the Huey looked an felt robust, and had a good field of view. I didn’t care for the reticle, very similar to the eotech. I also learned that the installed muzzle brake/suppressor mount was BRUTAL without the suppressor. I started off semi auto, and the first shot caught me off guard! Crazy loud, and the blast was off the charts! I also learned why they call it a giggle switch! I ran two mags thru it full auto. The first mag I was trying to do two and three shot bursts. The second mag I emptied the mag in three trigger pulls. I have to admit it was crazy fun! I think I had perma-grin for an hour!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
If it hasn't been addressed by you already, your 45 Colt cylinder's throats are probably like 85%+ of them to ever leave the factory... undersized. (squeezing the bullet down too small for the rifling) That would certainly explain why the 45ACP cylinder is more accurate, when there are reasons it shouldn't be.

(I corrected probably close to a thousand of them over the years, but I'm out the business, not fishing for work. lol)

I have heard that can be an issue with these...I know you're not fishing for work, but do you know of somewhere I could get that done, or what steps I would need to follow to do it myself? Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you'd rather...it's in my profile.

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I just attended a rifle/shotgun instructor course.

I learned that not all 12ga 00 Buckshot is equal. Not even close.

Federal LE Buckshot with FLITECOUNTROL is not just a marketing gimmick. It shoots as tight as a slug out to 15 yards from a (my) Mossberg 590 20".

The Remington OOBK spread out to bigger than my fist at the same distance.

If you haven't patterned your HD or duty shotgun at varying distance with different buckshot loads, it can be a real education.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post