SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aftermarket grip options for a heel release P220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket grip options for a heel release P220 Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
So I've been mulling over alternative grip options for my 9mm P220. The panels that came with the gun are actually in great shape physically, but to me their appearance looks so painfully 'plasticky' in a very non-flattering way. Truthfully, I don't know if they are factory or aftermarket, but considering the stellar condition of the rest of the firearm when I bought it, I tend to think that the grips are original to the gun.

There is a reflective sheen to them that frankly mimes a kind of Eek shiny Eek that reminds me of the the chintzy plastics that electronics makers used throughout the 1970s. Acute cringe worthy, at least to me, much like the material used on my ancient Pong console, long before "polymer" was the 'thing' to call extruded, molded, mutilated hardened chemical goop. That's what these existing grip panels look like to me.

So I'm looking for alternatives. I see Hogue offers both wood and synthetic G10 alternatives. Nill has a sublime-looking offering in walnut that I do like the aesthetics of though admittedly I'm not particularly enamored with their price. I so far have found no others. Any suggestions beyond these would be appreciated. As of right now I'm favoring the Nill wood with the Hogue G10 a close second.

Any opinions?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If it was me I'd get the Nills, but it's not my money, and yes they are pricey. I've still purchased my share of the damn things as I have an admitted weakness for them.

The only other option I would note, and I have a pair, is the original Siles walnut grips. Availability is unfortunately pretty much zero unless you find a used pair listed somewhere. I got lucky and picked up a set a few years back when Numrich was selling them for ~$40. They did however require a good bit of fitting...

There are quite a few off brand items listed on ebay, no telling what you get though.

Good luck.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I think you've got the best options in Nills and Hogue. The Hogues fit me slightly better, so this may be a case where you'd be better off trying (or at least holding) before you buy. OTOH, the screws will still back out of the Hogues without some kind of intervention. I'm about to try LocTite pink in desperation, 'cause there's no way I'm putting the blue on them tiny little aluminum threads.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For look, Nill. For function, G10 Hogue. For look and function, buy both. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old P220 grips had the exact same problem you have. Still serviceable but worn shiny. I put Talon grips on mine. No real change in size or shape but a world of difference in feel. The appearance of Talons is either love it or hate it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
If you like a fuller grip, then I'd pony up for the Nill's. I had a pair on a heel release 9mm and thought it was close to a perfect fit for me.

I would tend to think the G10's would probably be closer to the stock thickness, maybe a bit thinner(??).

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The G10s feel a hair thicker. That's especially true towards the back end, which has a more "squared-off" feel than the factory panels.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At one time, Hogue made the grips you need in checkered aluminum. There may be a few sets out there somewhere.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've used Nills on some other guns, and still have sets for the Hi Power and for the side button mag release type P220. As might be expected, they display excellent fit and finish. Just thought I mention the Nills have a palm swell profile that may not be obvious in the photos. They are comfortable, but the palm swell makes them a bit thicker than some other grips....

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
For look, Nill. For function, G10 Hogue. For look and function, buy both. Big Grin

That latter notion has crossed my mind...more than once. But I think the Nill will be first. I think. Smile

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
These are my e-bay grips for my 9mm heel release, cost me around $100 are as good as any.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I handled a P220 with one of those Hogue slip on grip sleeves over the stock plastic grips.

While they are not the best looking things in the world, they sure improved the feel of the pistol.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

That latter notion has crossed my mind...more than once. But I think the Nill will be first. I think. Smile

Just got the Hogue G10 for my newly acquired heel release P220 (from hjs157). As expected, it feels great and sticks to your hand like Velcro.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Here’s 2 of my Euro P220s… I’ve got the Hogue G10 Piranhas on the 9mm and the Checkered on the .38 Super. I prefer the Piranhas, but Hogue discontinued them, much to my dismay. I keep searching for another set, but no luck so far. Don’t get me wrong, the Checkered are good too, I just like the Piranhas better. I did have wood grips on one of them and they were just OK. They looked nice, but they didn't feel as good as the G10s. YMMV

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite P220. It has the Hogue checkered aluminum grips among other things.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
BTW, if you decide to go with the Checkered G10s, I got my last pair from Optics Planet for $94 with free shipping.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
If you want to rejuvenate your original plastic Euro 220 grips, bead blast them gently, followed by a cleaning with soap and water.

Gives the grips a matte finish, when they get shiny again, simply re blast.

I have done that to many used guns I have purchased with plastic grips that weren't scarredordinged,but worn shiny from use.

Of course, you can still spend $200 on a set of Nils grips!

I've owned 2 of the Euro 9mm P220's over the years. Very accurate pistols.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to Bruce Grey for a work over and he really did a nice job. It is no P210, but sometimes on a good day it will surprise me.

To me it is the Queen of all P 220's, I never get tired of looking at them, last year there was a second one at the local gun show and I was going to buy it, returned and my best friend had purchased it. We have friendly matches with them.

For some reason I never get tired of looking at them.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post