SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fixing decocker paint chip on P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing decocker paint chip on P226 Login/Join 
posted
Guys,
My decocker is too close to the frame, causing a paint chip when it strikes back, beside scratching the frame by its circular motion. Sig is offering to fix it for me, provided that I pay the two-ways shipping of $55.

It is quite a sum for a paint chip. I wonder if there is a cheaper way to fix that. Shall I use nail polish to cover the paint chip?

As for the scratching, I read somewhere that you can install a circular shim from McMaster-Carr for that. Any other way? Thanks.

Posts: 29 | Registered: January 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would not waste my money on sending back to SIG.

Member Bumper sells these "shims" in the you know where.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
I use Aluminum Black by Birchwood Casey to touch up bare spots on the black anodized frame caused by the decocking lever like you're describing. Instead of a shim under the lever, I lube it with some grease. It also helps to ride the lever back up with your thumb instead of letting it fly.

A lot of older levers have too small of a stop on the end that decocks the hammer and they have too much over travel. I've noticed that the newer levers (Made in USA) have a larger stop which prevents the lever from hitting the frame at the top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: winter_war,

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I post a pic here? I cant find the attach button.

Posts: 29 | Registered: January 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You mean a chip in the anodizing? This can't be fully repaired without a full strip/re-anodize. Not really worth it. My vote is for an aluminum blackening agent for a cosmetic cover up.

My P226R that I carry has it. I consider it a character mark. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done the shim from Bumper. Works well. And slicks up the decocker too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
+1 for the shim from Bumper. Had the same issue with my P229. Made all the difference in the world. Covered up the chip with an aluminum finish pen and it's almost impossible to see now.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post