SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225 / P228 comparison
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225 / P228 comparison Login/Join 
posted
As I've been pondering the classic German P5-P6-P7 series, I've been wondering if I really need a P225 (P6) or if I've already got the "newer/improved" P225 in my P228???

I've never had a 225 and 228 together at the same time. Is there any significant difference or dimension changes between the two, other than the grip/magazine/magwell? How does their slide length and width compare?

I feel like the 228 is a 225 with double-stack mag?

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have owned both and sold both. As I recall, they are almost identical in size except the P225 being single stack. I did not like the trigger on the P225, nor did I like the cramped, flat-bottom trigger window. I would like to try the newer P225A1.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
If you're going for the classic German series, you really need the P6. They can be found for very reasonable prices, starting in the $300's. The P228, being double stack, is thicker than the P6. Of course, you MUST have a P228 as well, you're not a true SIG fan without a P228 (and a P220) Wink.

Here's a group shot of the classic series: (Seeing this photo reminded my that I still need to get wood grips for the P5)

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P225 is a little slimmer,(width wise), than the p228, which aided me with concealed carry. It is not much but to me it made a difference. I like the grip/feel on it as well compared to the p228. The down side is lower capacity. They are both excellent weapons, as we all know but the best thing would be to hold both to see what works best for you.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I have small-medium hands and found that the 225 grip was perfect for the D/A length of pull versus the 228/229 guns. I own both, but find the the 225/225A are the perfect size.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPNunes:
I have small-medium hands and found that the 225 grip was perfect for the D/A length of pull versus the 228/229 guns. I own both, but find the the 225/225A are the perfect size.

Classic Sig's like the P226, P228, P229 can be harder to fit than say, pistols that have modular options, but there are a lot of options to get the right fit.

-E2 grips with reduced reach (skinny) trigger on the smaller end.
-Wood or full Hogue grips with standard (fat) trigger on the larger end.
-Lots to mix and match in-between.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is 228 and 225A-1 side by side. The pictures don't show it well but the single stack is slimmer. It's definitely more perceptible is you can get both in your hands at the same time.

-

-

-

Not the best pics but hopefully it helps some.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have a P225 JH(1987) and P228 KE(1994). They are very close in size. My 225 has Pachmyr wrap-around rubber grips. My 228 has Hogue rubber grips. Here are measurements I took w/ my digital calipers rounded to the tenth of mm.

grip area between upper screw & decocker lever: 33.6mm vs 37.2mm
grip area around lower screw & mag well: 33.2mm vs 34.5mm

front of slide: 25.7mm vs 25.6mm
rear of slide around serrations: 25.6mm vs 25.6mm

outer diameter of barrel around muzzle: 13.5mm vs 13.5mm
width around barrel breech: 16.7mm vs 16.7mm

front of frame: 23.0mm vs 23.0mm
middle of frame area btwn takedown & decocker levers: 23.0mm vs 27.0mm
trigger guard: 10.0mm vs 11.6mm

weight w/ empty OEM magazine: 910g vs 843g

I weighed using a digital kitchen scale.

The aftermarket rubber grips are thicker than the factory grips. If I measured the two pistols w/ their OEM grips, I think the differences in width would be less pronounced. The only significant differences in size are in the trigger guard and upper grip area.

I didn't bother to measure length, but eyeing the two out side-by-side, the 228 is only a couple millimeters longer in the beavertail. Their uppers are nearly identical in length and width. Overall heights are also nearly identical.

Judging by Skins2881's photos, the P225A-1 is smaller than the classic P225/P6. I guess that makes sense since the 225A-1 is based off the P239, which was designed to be smaller than the P228/229 series.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
I have the new P225 A1 and I love it. The gun is easy to carry and shoots even better. It is very accurate, shoots better than this old man is able to shoot.
I would like for it to hold more ammo, but I use it as my daily carry with no worries as I carry two extra mags daily.
I suggest you get the P225 A1. Sig has done it again with this one. Reminds me of my P220.
Hillbilly Dan
Life Member NRA

Posts: 317 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off-topic: I used to have a P239 9mm and still have a P228. In my evaluation, the two pistols were so close in external dimensions that I saw little reason to keep the “smaller” one with significantly smaller mag capacity. However, I will echo skins2881’s sentiment that the P228’s double-stack grip is noticeably larger than the P239.

How the P239 compares the P225, I don’t know.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Skins and iron chef!! That's exactly what I was searching for. The bottom line is, except for the upper grip, they are nearly identical in size, and shape and controls are identical. Saves me from feeling the need to buy a P6; I'll just stick with my P228.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pictures don't show it well but the single stack is slimmer. It's definitely more perceptible is you can get both in your hands at the same time.

That's truth.

Q

Posts: 26351 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 228/M11_A1 is to me one of the best pistols made, however the single stack 225-A1 fits me better so I sold my M11-A1 a few years back. however, I recently held a P229 with E2 grips and the difference in that grip over a standard grip is significant enough that I am now on the hunt for a P228 and installing the E2s. As Long as this doesnt desecrate the P228. Q?

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I don't have P225 to check, but p228 old style poly grips are slimmer than M11 A1 grips.

width between upper grip screw & decocker -1.380/35.05mm

width below lower grip screw -1.260/32mm

width above grip logo -1.260/32mm
Old poly grip Dim. above.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
The pictures don't show it well but the single stack is slimmer. It's definitely more perceptible is you can get both in your hands at the same time.

That's truth.

Recognize the 225? I should have used my other 228, then pics would have been two of your former guns.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post