SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the Gen 5/19x/MHS Glock Experts....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Gen 5/19x/MHS Glock Experts.... Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Does the new locking block/lockup design make the 17/19 slide and frames interchangeable?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Don't quote me, but I believe the change in the gen 5's was to use the G19 locking block and corrsponding barrel locking surface from the G19 in the G17. This allowes the use of the same locking block between the two pistols.

So barrels could be interchanged between G4 and G5 19's, but not between the G4 and G5 17's. As far as whole slide swaps I have no idea. I guess I could try my G4 19 slide on my G5 17 frame and check.

ETA, G5 17 slide may go on the G4 19 frame, but I'm not sure the the reverse would be true. The G4 19 slide is missing the cutout for the ambi slide release that the G5 17 frame has.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info - I thought the barrels between G4 and G5 Glock 19's were different. Just to add a wee bit to mbinky's comments:

quote:
New barrel: The Glock 19 and Glock 17 have always had different barrel lock up designs and one wonders what the Austrians were thinking. The new barrel for the Glock 19 is the same as the old barrel for the Glock 19. And the barrels from older generations interchange. The new barrel for the Glock 17 is basically a long Glock 19 barrel. The Gen 5 17 uses the same dimensions for the lock up as the Glock 19. This is something that should have been done long ago, but you know how much changes in design cost. Barrel makers will simply extend the length of their existing Glock 19 barrels and have a new Gen 5 17 barrel.

http://blog.suarezinternationa...the-gen-5-glock.html

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Um...where's the right side of the ambi slide stop supposed to lock into with a Gen4 slide? Just sayin'.

As for the barrels, they should be compatible with one another...with the G19. Not so with the G17, which in Gen5 form was significantly redesigned to use as many G19-based parts possible. However, if you wanted to put a G17 barrel in a G19, you now can provided that you've got a Gen5 G17 to scavenge that barrel from.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Took the LE Armorer course about a month ago. They are now focusing on the Gen5’s. The instructor said that the slides were not interchangeable between 17 and 19. He talked about a customer putting the wrong slide on a new gen 5 frame (I don’t recall if it was a gen4 slide or a gen 5 of the wrong gun) but said it had to be sent to the factory and they were still working on a way to separate them. Sorry I don’t recall the details better.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post