SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I’m getting a second Sig to keep my SP2022 9mm company
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m getting a second Sig to keep my SP2022 9mm company Login/Join 
posted
Does any here shoot a Sig P229 in .40 S&W with a .22 conversion kit?

I was made a trade offer that I couldn’t resist as far as value. I’m getting a non-railed P229 with a bunch of mags, and a .22 conversion kit.

I’m just curious to hear what owners have to say about the conversion kit.

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: September 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorta. I have a P229 .40 I bought in 1996. Great gun. Over 47,000 rounds through it. My conversion kit is for the 2010 P226 .40.

All conversion kits can be finicky and results depend on the specific kit and the specific gun it is used with. Only way to find out is to shoot it. There is no pattern. Same with all conversion units for any gun.

First, verify the conversion is for the non-railed P229. IIRC, there were two flavors for the P229, rail and no rail.

Some suggestions:

1) Start with CCI Mini-Mags. The gold standard. If it functions with those, you can experiment with cheaper stuff.

2) Clean the gun and conversion unit after every range session. Dirty guns affect the reliability of the lower powered conversion kits.

3) If the gun has a reduced power mainspring, you will have more failures to ignite using the conversion. Usually on the DA hits. Even though centerfire ammo is reliable.

I do my own light gunsmithing. My conversion unit had problems. After I analyzed the problem, I did some work on the extractor. Some minor reshaping and polishing. Runs fine now.

Have fun. Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I just want to say welcome to the forum, and that’s a fine place to start with SIGs. Now all you need are .357 SIG, and 9mm barrels for the 229 and you’re in a good place to be.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Sorta. I have a P229 .40 I bought in 1996. Great gun. Over 47,000 rounds through it. My conversion kit is for the 2010 P226 .40.

All conversion kits can be finicky and results depend on the specific kit and the specific gun it is used with. Only way to find out is to shoot it. There is no pattern. Same with all conversion units for any gun.

First, verify the conversion is for the non-railed P229. IIRC, there were two flavors for the P229, rail and no rail.

Some suggestions:

1) Start with CCI Mini-Mags. The gold standard. If it functions with those, you can experiment with cheaper stuff.

2) Clean the gun and conversion unit after every range session. Dirty guns affect the reliability of the lower powered conversion kits.

3) If the gun has a reduced power mainspring, you will have more failures to ignite using the conversion. Usually on the DA hits. Even though centerfire ammo is reliable.

I do my own light gunsmithing. My conversion unit had problems. After I analyzed the problem, I did some work on the extractor. Some minor reshaping and polishing. Runs fine now.

Have fun. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome. I hope to learn a lot about the new to me Sig and my current one.

I run Mini-Mags in my semi .22's. The revolver and pump rifle get cheap bulk packs.

I'm anal about cleaning my guns after use anyway.

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: September 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post