SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does Anybody Make An OWB KYDEX Pancake Holster That ACTUALLY Fits Close To The Body
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anybody Make An OWB KYDEX Pancake Holster That ACTUALLY Fits Close To The Body Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So over the years I learned that I am an OWB carrier. I simply find that since I have to conceal an IWB gun anyway I might as well avail myself in the benefits of a high and tight OWB holster, but reasoning is neither here nor there.

My question is does anybody make an OWB kydex holster that ACTUALLY fits as close and tight as a good leather pancake or quick snap type holster.

Every one I have tried has sat noticeably far from the body and flopped around a bit. Yes this is with a high quality GUN belt. They all just seem to sit a bit proud. Now none of this is a big deal if concealment isn't an issue but it is when concealing.

So is there a kydex "pancake" type option that will sit as high and tight as a quality leather offering, because I haven't been able to find it yet.

As always thanks much.

Take care, Shoot Safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7704 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I found that "pancake loops" help significantly with concealing OWB kydex holsters.

Instead of the boxy belt loops that extend to the rear of the holster (towards the belt/body), these are wide "wings" that extend to the side of the holster. The wider footprint causes the holster to sit flat against the belt, and the belt to keep the holster tucked in closer in to the body.

Most kydex holsters can be retrofitted with these, and most of the larger kydex holster companies offer them as an option when ordering a new holster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one for my P229, doesn't have any markings on it and I've had it for years so can't tell whose it is. It's pretty similar to the Blade Tech Total Eclipse so might be an earlier version. I use it for competition, doesn't have any retention beyond internal friction adjustment. Fits about as close as you can get with OWB.

https://blade-tech.com/product...ariant=5898764025884

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like LAG Tactical, inside and outside the waistband. Their kydex seems thinner than it used to, though.

I also like DSG Holsters. Very solid.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with R&R holsters on Amazon.
For a really close fit, see if you can find a holster that has a slight body shaped curve to it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16144 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have found that Black Rhino with the pancake clips works really well for me. It hugs my side pretty good. Still not as good as my Kramer horsehide scabbards but dang close.

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Gunfighters Inc. I've got several of their holsters and they conceal even full size pistols like a 226 well under a garage shirt.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I really like Bravo Concealment if you want a holster that sits tight against you.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for Black Rhino Concealment. Their TCS holsters can be used either OWB or IWB, and come with the necessary attachments. The holster curves around the hip nicely and holds the pistol close. The OWB tabs (similar to ones pictured above) are sized for 1.75" belt, but will work with a 1.5" belt as well. They explain that 90% of the pistol is fitted to and held by the outer piece of kydex, and 10% by the inner piece. Customer service is great

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the info. I have tried most of the big names. I think it simply comes down to the fact that Kydex is formed to a set mold. Yes you can heat and remold, I know. Where leather molds to you over time pulls tighter.

I think I am finding I am just a leather guy for OWB. IWB kydex works great.

As for the wing clips I have tried those as well, and while helpful they still don't work as well as a good leather holster and their design doesn't inspire confidence.

I do appreciate the suggestions.

Take care, shoot safe.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7704 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Try Krounds holster. I've tried a lot of companies, they are very good.

www.krounds.com

Posts: 1634 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
Try Krounds holster. I've tried a lot of companies, they are very good.

www.krounds.com

Due to COVID19, closed until further notice. Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
One last suggestion that you may like is Blackpoint Tactical's Leather Wing holster. I've used one for a couple years and it is one of the better quality one's out there right now.
https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/leather-wing/

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Tenicor has the tightest riding pancake I’ve found, but they are only available for a limited amount of platforms. They make them light Bering as well

https://tenicor.com/

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2227 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diamond D Custom Leather makes very nice holsters. I just bought their Guide’s Choice chest holster for my GP100’s and their pancake holster is next for a P229.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 234 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on this thread, I looked at Bravo Concealment. Two holsters for 52 bucks! I have ordered a couple.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16144 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Check out 1441 Gear’s “Curve” holster. I have a few of these and they’re superb. Chuck is great people, from what little I’ve dealt with him.

1441 Gear Curve

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.highnoonholsters.com has a sale currently

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Kramers for my 229 and 365 and am happy with both.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Bravo has a buy-one-get-one free bundle deal at the moment for an OWB and IWB for $52 and some change. Hard to beat deal.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15640 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post