SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a 1911 Colt Government Model
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a 1911 Colt Government Model Login/Join 
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted

Sorry for the terrible iPad picture. If I was a photographer I would starve to death.

Never owned a Colt 1911 before, do have a couple of SIG's. Just thought I would try a plain Jane 1911.

Fired 200 rounds of PPU 230gr FMJ through it today. No issues, trigger was okay, shot quite well actually. I was pleasantly surprised.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have the same Colt 1911 but blued.

I enjoy it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the truly great firearms. Reliable, powerful, the definition of "combat accuracy."

One of these days I'll have to replace mine.

Congratulations!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun in blue as well. Replaced trigger and did some polishing, this helped the trigger pull very much.

Love the 1911.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new addition

I am a huge fan of the 1911 platform

The firearm design gets an undeserved bad reputation.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
If you buy another 1911 get it in 38 Super. As the saying goes, you'll be glad you did.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This! ^^^^

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
If you buy another 1911 get it in 38 Super. As the saying goes, you'll be glad you did.

He speaks the truth!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I bought a stainless steel Government Model just months after Colt starting making them. Unlike then 1991A1, it didn't have roll stamped slide, plastic trigger or, main spring house. It was said by some gun writer back then, the new stainless model appeared to be machined on new equipment and all new cutters. Not stating he knew anything about machining but, the quality was a cut above what the company offered in past years of making these pistols. Later years, some of the short cut details of the 1991A1 seems to have been used as a standard method. I cant imagine seeing a Colt National Match with plastic parts or roll stamps. I do like the stainless models better than blue. Except for their old .38 Special wadcutter gun.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post