SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ Sorry, I can't confirm, as I no longer own any Berettas, and never did own a compact like that. But, it (the base pad) sure does look the same. I can tell you that it is metal. Is the Beretta's metal, also?

Yes the 80's era compact base pads were metal.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice ending and affirmation of Lee's legacy gun. Personally I always believed the story, but it is nice to get verification. This is truly a super forum, thanks to all.

Posts: 95 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of seabass
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the informative pics, review and comparison to the 228.

What a cool piece of Sig history! Glad it found a good home with you.

Posts: 1139 | Location: CA | Registered: July 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Great photos and write up.
Way nicer done then any gun magazine.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow awesome find !Im jealous

Thanks for this post. I just picked up a P228 for my collection.

Posts: 34 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: July 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Anyone run across a P228R made before 2009?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:

Maybe some of our European friends have on their side of the pond.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics and info- thanks for sharing and congratulations 12131.

Posts: 203 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
12131, or any of our other esteemed P228 afficianados, a question.

DAK. Obviously the early P228 West German guns couldn't be converted to DAK unless some significant milling was done. Were any of the later P228 frames ever milled to allow for a DAK conversion? I know that some were DAO.

I would assume that the M11-A1 is DAK convertible.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

DAK. Obviously the early P228 West German guns couldn't be converted to DAK unless some significant milling was done. Were any of the later P228 frames ever milled to allow for a DAK conversion? I know that some were DAO.

As far as I know, the P228 frame is not cut out for DAK. But, someone on here (damn, I can't recall who) said that his P228 was converted to DAK. Not sure how, because details were not mentioned.

The M11-A1 frame is NOT cut out for DAK, either, interestingly.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

As far as I know, the P228 frame is not cut out for DAK. But, someone on here (damn, I can't recall who) said that his P228 was converted to DAK. Not sure how, because details were not mentioned.

The M11-A1 frame is NOT cut out for DAK, either, interestingly.

I have an idea who it is that had one converted, as I vaguely recall a post in which he sent the frame out to have it milled to accept DAK, but I'm going to have to do a little checking on that.

Well, now that is interesting about the M11-A1. I would've bet (and lost) money on it being DAK convertible.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Yes, S/N B 337-XXX, AH date mark on the barrel hood.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ingliz:
quote:

quote:

Yes, S/N B 337-XXX, AH date mark on the barrel hood.

Somehow, I knew you were going to show up. Welcome to SF. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
I am not trying to make mischief, but wouldn't the 2007 date put paid to the interweb narrative that the P228R was a frankengun cobbled together in 2009 from whatever was lying around to appeal to a niche US market's love of rails. The P229R, with mil-standard rail, first appeared in 2007, the same year. No?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ingliz,

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ingliz:
I am not trying to nake mischief, but wouldn't the 2007 date put paid to the interweb narrative that the P228R was a frankengun cobbled together fom whatever was lying around to appeal to the US market's love of rails. The P229R, with mil-standard rail, appeared the same year. No?

I'm not sure what rail appeal you're talking about for US folks. There was no demand for a railed P228. I'll bet that most of us Americans who like the classic SIGs like them without rails. From my correspondence with a SIG rep here, SIG had extra P229 railed frames at the time, so they mated them to the P228 uppers to make the P228R. FrankenSIG? Sure. But, as long as it's an official SIG model, I'm good with it. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
for US folks.

The 'tacticool' crowd... the P226 Tactical folks.

quote:
FrankenSIG?

I believe at the time (2007) it was a bona fide option offered to European LE/agencies who ran P228s.

quote:
The 'tacticool' crowd

When it didn't sell in Europe, why not try selling the model in the US? In 2009, Sig slapped on spurious US military marks (There is no evidence I can find there ever was a US military contract) and stippled them out. A marketing exercise designed to appeal to the US 'tacticool' crowd.

ps. I edited my last post for clarity.

Example:

quote:
to a niche US market's love of rails.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ingliz,

posted Hide Post
I got a new to me P228R yesterday. Its a beautiful gun. Not my first sig. I had a P226R in 40 but sold it and also have a SP2340 thats my duty gun. But this P228 has me a bit confused. From the serial number AL 53 XXX it tells me its a P229. I called Sig this morning and they told me its a P228R frame made in 2003. Is this correct? Or is this a P228 slide on a P229R frame? Either way I love the gun.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ That's interesting.

They told you it's a 2003 made gun, when they routinely tell folks that their database doesn't go back further than 2005. If you want to confirm it, call back and ask what the Part Number is for your gun with such serial number.

If they are able to provide you the Part Number, then you will know for sure if it was a P229 (meaning someone made a FrankenP228R aftermarket) or a real factory released P228R.

If they cannot tell you what the Part Number is, then whoever that told you the first time it's a P228R was pulling it out of thin air.

My WAG is it's a FrankenSIG, based on the rounded SIG logo on top of the slide. I could be wrong, though, which will not be the first time. Wink

Q

posted Hide Post
called sig back and after being on hold for 30 min I finaly got to talk to someone. This time I was told its too old for their system and that it is more than likely a P229 frame. He couldn't give me a part number either. I started looking at the sights and I believe they are wrong. The front is a #6 and the rear is a #7. from the Brownells drawings they both should be #8. Correct? So I'm thinking I bought a frankenSig

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I'd also say it was a FrankenSIG, looking at the grip screws, typically P228's used the flat head screws, not the hex/torx screws

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post