SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
1991 (KB) factory 2-toner, with all black controls

I'll take it. Oh wait... I'm not in the classifieds??? Damn it! Cool

Nice work!

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My JJ P228 has a red box. The P228 does not have any importer markings so I assume it is a GI bring back.

Posts: 29 | Location: NC | Registered: July 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggs:
My JJ P228 has a red box. The P228 does not have any importer markings so I assume it is a GI bring back.

Holy cow! I never thought you would show up. I was aware of the JJ only because yours is listed in the serial number thread. Thanks! Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, never have seen one even a picture of this... Would you be kind a post a pic or two?? Either way, thanks for sharing the info.

Posts: 471 | Registered: September 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great source for 228 info...
Thanks for all of your work, much appreciated by all!!

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 560 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Excellent collection, thread and photos!

The 228 stainless brings up a question. I was unaware it had the larger mag-well. Basically a 229ST with a 228 serial and slide.

You say it has a 229-1 frame. But wouldn't it be a standard 229 stainless frame with a 228 serial? As all of the 229ST's are in 40/357sig calibers. I've never come across a 9mm version. And these ST frames were manufactured before the 229-1 existed? Unless you're using the -1 to distinguish the difference in mag-well dimensions.

You are correct. I was using the -1 to distinguish the mag well dimensions.

quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
1988 is what I have read was the year of introduction for the P228. Was that in Europe, or in the U.S., i.e., maybe '89 (JK) was the first to make it to our shores? Just a thought.

quote:

Hmm, this could very well be the answer regarding the JJ P228. It might just be that it was never released on the US commercial market, and that is why it is so rare. Thanks. I will make a note in the original post. Cool

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread as the P228 is one of my favorite Sig's and mine were Swiss Police trade in's and I had 2 of them. I sold one to one of my Sons and I kept the other one.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131 -

Thank you for taking the time to compile the summary in the thread starter, and provide photos of your examples of the P228. Great job!

Noah

Posts: 150 | Location: PA | Registered: February 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information and pictures.

.Bill

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses

Posts: 90 | Registered: October 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic post. Lots of great information. Last year I was in a LGS, and noticed a used German made 228. I came back a few days later to buy and it was already gone.

------------------------------
U.S. Navy
SACLANT 1997-1999
VF-213 1999-2001

Posts: 124 | Location: Delaware | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Acme Rocket Scientist
Picture of finklea73
posted Hide Post
Fantastic post on my favorite pistola!

Posts: 402 | Registered: December 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That pretty much covers it 12131!....the only one I don't see in the bunch and it may not qualify because it wasn't regular a production gun, almost impossible to locate these days, would be the M11's (no rail) that actually came in as CPO's years back (according to SIG lore), with the M11 visible (not blurred out). I've seen pictures of them in the past, see below.

I actually hate to mention this also Eek but I have a M11B that I got directly from SIG Academy the slide is not proofed and has no S/N, but is marked made in Germany, the barrel have the matching S/N with the frame. The other M11B (Sig Academy) I have has the proof mark, DE, and S/N on the slide and frame, but no S/N on the barrel, so not Triple S/N. I only mention this as there may be a few other M11B owners who have these as well, with only so few of them out there it's hard to understand why the variations exist, I can only theorize that they must have run out of the German proofed slides at some point.

Yeah why me right? Basically, what I've described may be considered anomalies, may be best to just footnote these.

12131, I know you want to be completely thorough with anything you put out, that's the only reason I mentioned the above guns.

Let me know if you want me to post pics of the mentioned M11B.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
That pretty much covers it 12131!....the only one I don't see in the bunch and it may not qualify because it wasn't regular a production gun, almost impossible to locate these days, would be the M11's (no rail) that actually came in as CPO's years back (according to SIG lore), with the M11 visible (not blurred out). I've seen pictures of them in the past, GUNS AMERICA. I hope it's not another ghost gun. Roll Eyes

I actually hate to mention this also Eek but I have a M11B that I got directly from SIG Academy the slide is not proofed and has no S/N, but is marked made in Germany, the barrel have the matching S/N with the frame. The other M11B (Sig Academy) I have has the proof mark, DE, and S/N on the slide and frame, but no S/N on the barrel, so not Triple S/N. I only mention this as there may be a few other M11B owners who have these as well, with only so few of them out there it's hard to understand why the variations exist, I can only theorize that they must have run out of the German proofed slides at some point.

Yeah why me right? Basically, what I've described may be considered anomalies, may be best to just footnote these.

12131, I know you want to be thorough with anything you put out, that's the only reason I mentioned the above guns.
That is an interesting M11 that you posted. I wonder how it "escaped" as I've always heard that current guns with military markings could not be sold commercially. Do the "M11" and "U.S." markings look correct (size and font)? The slide is interesting, too, as there is no "Made in Germany" and the font of the P228 looks different to me. I can't make out the first number of the serial number to get an approximate age. Did this gun sell for $2,800? I heard of a CPO P228 sell for almost $3,000 (maybe it was on Gunbroker and not Guns America) possibly because the buyer thought is was a real M11.

rpm2010, are you saying your second M11B has a proof mark and the "DE", or are you calling the "DE" a proof mark (because it isn't)? If it is the latter, then both of your Sig Academy M11Bs are interesting because I thought all of the M11Bs were assembled in Germany and had German proof marks. I guess I was mistaken.

It is my understanding that a complete assembled gun is proofed, so running out of proofed slides makes no sense to me. The lack of proof marks makes me think these M11Bs were either assembled in the U.S., or are CPOs. Were they sold to you as new guns?

I apologize for the digression, but sometimes I get caught up in the historical minutiae (trivia?) of SIG pistols.Roll Eyes

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
rpm2010, yes, I remember that CPO M11. Always wonder what the story was behind it. Obviously, it wasn't part of the 50 M11Bs.

My CPO M11B in the original post was verified with SIG that a SIG employee originally owned it new. I guess he shot it some, and when time to sell, he had it "CPOed".
Please, post yours. I know Sigmonkey has posted his M11B previously, also. Come on, monkey, please join in. Big Grin

I also invite the following folks to post their specific models that are not yet in this thread. It would be most appreciated. Cool
biggs: your 1988 (JJ) P228.
cherokee2u: your 1990 (KA) all nickel.
straightshooter01: your 1993 (KD) all nickel.
AH.74: your all black controls 1994 (KE) 2-toner.
Sarge1998: your W. German 1995 (KF) gun.
xwesler: your all German made and proofed 2011 P228R.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think I might get me one of these P228 thingies.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
That pretty much covers it 12131!....the only one I don't see in the bunch and it may not qualify because it wasn't regular a production gun, almost impossible to locate these days, would be the M11's (no rail) that actually came in as CPO's years back (according to SIG lore), with the M11 visible (not blurred out). I've seen pictures of them in the past, GUNS AMERICA. I hope it's not another ghost gun. Roll Eyes

That is an interesting M11 that you posted. I wonder how it "escaped" as I've always heard that current guns with military markings could not be sold commercially. Do the "M11" and "U.S." markings look correct (size and font)? The slide is interesting, too, as there is no "Made in Germany" and the font of the P228 looks different to me. I can't make out the first number of the serial number to get an approximate age. Did this gun sell for $2,800? I heard of a CPO P228 sell for almost $3,000 (maybe it was on Gunbroker and not Guns America) possibly because the buyer thought is was a real M11.

I apologize for the digression, but sometimes I get caught up in the historical minutiae (trivia?) of SIG pistols.Roll Eyes

I am sure that I am missing something major and obvious here but in comparing 12131's M11 (etched out) serial #339xxx to this M11 serial #337xxx side by side. I would think that these would both be 2009 guns from the same general batch. But 12131's M11 is railed and has hooked trigger guard and has a very different font for the P228 marking.

The short trigger on the second gun could have been changed out obviously.

Did M11's come in railed and non-railed at the same time. I thought that the govt contracts were specific and did not allow variances? Could it be that that is why Sig had to etch these out and sell them commercially, due to the rail not meeting the current mil specs?? I am sure I am missing something here??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
xwesler: your all German made and proofed 2011 P228R.

Yessir.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another M-11 that turns up with a Google search.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
228 is a great companion to take with you when you leave home.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post