SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Great post. Much information that is greatly appreciated.

And no you can not have my KA Nickel

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just made the cut
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, that's my personal favorite and that's a great resource. Much appreciated.

SIG P228 (x2), Mosquito and P250 9mm

(228 Rocks!)

Why do they say "is he known to carry any weapons"? like it is a bad thing?

Posts: 5847 | Location: Westerville/Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
xwesler: your all German made and proofed 2011 P228R.

Yessir.

Oh boy there are so many 228's I have yet to own like those 12131 has...and the triple S/N 228R is one that caught my eye...blink, blink, I now have several new grail guns to find!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
That pretty much covers it 12131!....the only one I don't see in the bunch and it may not qualify because it wasn't regular a production gun, almost impossible to locate these days, would be the M11's (no rail) that actually came in as CPO's years back (according to SIG lore), with the M11 visible (not blurred out). I've seen pictures of them in the past, GUNS AMERICA. I hope it's not another ghost gun. Roll Eyes

I actually hate to mention this also Eek but I have a M11B that I got directly from SIG Academy the slide is not proofed and has no S/N, but is marked made in Germany, the barrel have the matching S/N with the frame. The other M11B (Sig Academy) I have has the proof mark, DE, and S/N on the slide and frame, but no S/N on the barrel, so not Triple S/N. I only mention this as there may be a few other M11B owners who have these as well, with only so few of them out there it's hard to understand why the variations exist, I can only theorize that they must have run out of the German proofed slides at some point.

Yeah why me right? Basically, what I've described may be considered anomalies, may be best to just footnote these.

12131, I know you want to be thorough with anything you put out, that's the only reason I mentioned the above guns.
That is an interesting M11 that you posted. I wonder how it "escaped" as I've always heard that current guns with military markings could not be sold commercially. Do the "M11" and "U.S." markings look correct (size and font)? The slide is interesting, too, as there is no "Made in Germany" and the font of the P228 looks different to me. I can't make out the first number of the serial number to get an approximate age. Did this gun sell for $2,800? I heard of a CPO P228 sell for almost $3,000 (maybe it was on Gunbroker and not Guns America) possibly because the buyer thought is was a real M11.

rpm2010, are you saying your second M11B has a proof mark and the "DE", or are you calling the "DE" a proof mark (because it isn't)? If it is the latter, then both of your Sig Academy M11Bs are interesting because I thought all of the M11Bs were assembled in Germany and had German proof marks. I guess I was mistaken.

It is my understanding that a complete assembled gun is proofed, so running out of proofed slides makes no sense to me. The lack of proof marks makes me think these M11Bs were either assembled in the U.S., or are CPOs. Were they sold to you as new guns?

I apologize for the digression, but sometimes I get caught up in the historical minutiae (trivia?) of SIG pistols.Roll Eyes

wgsigs,

It's not like I changed the slide on the gun, this is the way it came in from the Sig Academy. It has the special K Cote finish and the MP (magnetic particle) testing etching. And it's not only on one, I had two of these, but sold one, both same as what you see in the pic. I'll try and get a pic of the other one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The 228 was featured at least once as Sig's Gun-of-the-Month (GOTM).
The April 2004 GOTM model I have has Hi-Viz sights.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite thread of sig pistols.

Posts: 471 | Registered: September 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I swore allegiance to the 228 many years ago. Sadly, I don't own one right now. I've had 4 different ones, including a DAO which was a mistake but I ended up liking it anyway.

This thing had a Bar Sto match barrel, Crimson Trace grips, and was good time shooting at paper.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:

I actually hate to mention this also Eek but I have a M11B that I got directly from SIG Academy the slide is not proofed and has no S/N, but is marked made in Germany, the barrel have the matching S/N with the frame. The other M11B (Sig Academy) I have has the proof mark, DE, and S/N on the slide and frame, but no S/N on the barrel, so not Triple S/N. I only mention this as there may be a few other M11B owners who have these as well, with only so few of them out there it's hard to understand why the variations exist, I can only theorize that they must have run out of the German proofed slides at some point.

Yeah why me right? Basically, what I've described may be considered anomalies, may be best to just footnote these.

12131, I know you want to be thorough with anything you put out, that's the only reason I mentioned the above guns.

rpm2010, are you saying your second M11B has a proof mark and the "DE", or are you calling the "DE" a proof mark (because it isn't)? If it is the latter, then both of your Sig Academy M11Bs are interesting because I thought all of the M11Bs were assembled in Germany and had German proof marks. I guess I was mistaken.

It is my understanding that a complete assembled gun is proofed, so running out of proofed slides makes no sense to me. The lack of proof marks makes me think these M11Bs were either assembled in the U.S., or are CPOs. Were they sold to you as new guns?

I apologize for the digression, but sometimes I get caught up in the historical minutiae (trivia?) of SIG pistols.Roll Eyes

wgsigs,

It's not like I changed the slide on the gun, this is the way it came in from the Sig Academy. It has the special K Cote finish and the MP (magnetic particle) testing etching. And it's not only on one, I had two of these, but sold one, both same as what you see in the pic. I'll try and get a pic of the other one.

Sorry, I misread your post and thought that there were no proof marks anywhere on your M11B, but you were only talking about the slide. That was why I was confused and thought there might be U.S. assembled M11Bs. Are the three proof marks on the left side of the barrel hood?

When I was responding about running out of German proofed slides not making sense, I was trying to say slides are not proofed, just completed guns, so slides do not necessarily have to have a proof mark. And as I recall OTD saying before, triple serial numbers is not a legal requirement by Germany, but more of a tradition.

I thought I was doing a good job of staying out of trouble, but I guess I haven't been completely successful. Red Face

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
xwesler: your all German made and proofed 2011 P228R.

It's BA (2010). So, I will make correction. Thanks! Cool

quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:
Great post. Much information that is greatly appreciated.

And no you can not have my KA Nickel

Hey, at least a glimpse of it? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The 228 was featured at least once as Sig's Gun-of-the-Month (GOTM).
The April 2004 GOTM model I have has Hi-Viz sights.

Oh yes, you are right. How could I forget. Thanks for reminding. Will make an additional note. And, I invite you to post yours. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by fyimo:

Always fond of those Swiss police P228s. Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onequickwrench
posted Hide Post
I thought the 228 Nickel I sold you last week would be unique (it was in my small collection) only to find out via this thread that you already have these!
Oh well, at least it's in good company.
Well done on the thread.

"He who dies with the most toys is still dead!"

Posts: 1379 | Location: Raleighwood, NC | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
very nice write up. Cool

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Agreed,..excellent write up. Thank you for taking the time to do it!

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
nice thread and nice to see some of the things that have only been talked about on the Forums...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post

That is all.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here's the other M11B, oddly S/N on the Frame & Slide, but not on the barrel (the barrel is stamped "DE"), I have seen some with the triple S/N as well.

Excellent thread 12131, please accept my apologies if I muddied it up a bit, but I think the M11B is now well represented, along with all the other awesome 228's you have presented.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Yes, 12131, an excellent and very informative thread. Glad you put all of this information in one place and in "writing". Wink

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
Awesome post! I miss my P228R that I traded to a forum member here (I forgot his name!) for a P30 that I LOVE. But I still miss that 228R. I know I'm the odd man out but I really like the look of the rail on the 228. And I like the 228 slide so no 229 for me.

Posts: 3317 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, here's the other M11B, oddly S/N on the Frame & Slide, but not on the barrel (the barrel is stamped "DE"), I have seen some with the triple S/N as well.
Excellent thread 12131, please accept my apologies if I muddied it up a bit, but I think the M11B is now well represented, along with all the other awesome 228's you have presented.

No apology necessary, D. I'm really glad you brought up the discussion, with pics of the M11B variants. It helps consolidating everything into one place. Thanks. Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131, you're welcome, appreciate you staying on point! Smile

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this posting

Do you know if the P228 started with the serial number B000 000 or maybe B100 000? I'm asking because I have a P228 with the serial number B100 6xx (JK)

Posts: 425 | Location: Newport News, VA | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post