SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Lol well looks like I have nothing origional to the gun. Oh well, it's my daily carry and it shoots great so that's all that matters. Thanks for the info, guess I can make up any story o want for the "X" Razz

Posts: 764 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I also wonder what the "X" on right side of the slide signifies? Police gun? I've seen once before on another P228 elsewhere. No one was able to decipher its meaning. Confused

There are 2.

Scully and Mulder...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
I also wonder what the "X" on right side of the slide signifies? Police gun? I've seen once before on another P228 elsewhere. No one was able to decipher its meaning. Confused

There are 2.

Scully and Mulder...

Well, duh. The answer was right in front of me all this time.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
howdy guys ,

wanna find out if my Sig ( Last pics , pg14 ) would accept an SRT upgrade & where could I go to find out about sourcing a correct period manual for my 228. I wanna have the correct paperwork with the box.

I'm already shopping for sights & will change out to a short reach trigger aswell. I like it more & more everyday.

Posts: 509 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Check fleabay often for the red manual.

Yes, the P228 does take The SRT.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I did not go through all the pages.
How was availability of standard P228's with Ilaflon coating in the US?
Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Thanks for the replies.

As far as I know, of the P228s offered in the US, only the ones with stainless frame from 2012 and 2013 have the Ilaflon finish on the slide. That's about 30 of them.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^ Check fleabay often for the red manual.

Yes, the P228 does take The SRT.

Thank you ,

I will start my hunt here with a WTB ad , maybe just maybe I'll get lucky.

Posts: 509 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pep9, I just finished my P228: installed an SRT, short trigger, modern short hammer strut/base/spring and required grip change, full disassembly to check for rust and condition of parts. Night sights are in the way and every original part bagged up and stored. She's greased and ready to go...

Now to shoot a few hundred rounds through it!

I'm convinced it just sat on a rack the entire time it was in Israel due to absolute zero rail wear and minimal blueing loss on the barrel and other parts. Only some rub marks on the outside of the slide and a few nicks on the frame. That's it!

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohsheepdog:
Pep9, I just finished my P228: installed an SRT, short trigger, modern short hammer strut/base/spring and required grip change, full disassembly to check for rust and condition of parts. Night sights are in the way and every original part bagged up and stored. She's greased and ready to go...

Now to shoot a few hundred rounds through it!

I'm convinced it just sat on a rack the entire time it was in Israel due to absolute zero rail wear and minimal blueing loss on the barrel and other parts. Only some rub marks on the outside of the slide and a few nicks on the frame. That's it!

Thanks , gonna do something similar. It looks good.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the replies.

As far as I know, of the P228s offered in the US, only the ones with stainless frame from 2012 and 2013 have the Ilaflon finish on the slide. That's about 30 of them.
There's still time for OTD to get one of the remaining 28 pistols but he will have to wait until they go on sale... Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Is this thread going to be updated with the prototype information?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Is this thread going to be updated with the prototype information?

I guess it will have to be until after The Auction, and then the new owner gives permission to use the material. Cool

Q

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the replies.

There's still time for OTD to get one of the remaining 28 pistols but he will have to wait until they go on sale... Cool

I have one, but of the original standard type, new in box, including factory shipping documents and factory invoice. Prof date is 2000. Factory hipping date was 2002. It's in my collection since then. Smile

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The original story of the prototype "P226C", which would have become the compact version of the P226, but never did, is found here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8790058793
Its auction is found here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1160072114

Brief summary is, SF member waynewash inherited this prototype from Lee Salter, Manager of Technical Services at SIGARMS in the 1980s. Three were made. Two were destroyed. Only this present sample is left. It is prototype #1 (as seen in pics below).

In the other threads, there were questions about the "prototype" nature of this SIG. What we know pretty sure is that this gun did not come from Germany in that form, although the major parts did. This gun was modified/reconstructed into its form by SIG USA Tysons Corner's Lee's team. Factory prototype? Worker prototype? We may never know, but it does not matter. It's pretty clear to me that the folks at SIG at the time were planning on the compact version of the P226. Hence, the "P226C".

The first few pics are just overall appearance of the gun. It's pretty clear that the slide assembly originally belonged to a JE (1984) P225, with the P225-type serial number. The "5" was converted to a "6", and the "C" was added. The frame obviously is not full size P226, but it clearly wears the P226-type serial number.

Now to the frame itself. It's obvious that it was originally a full size P226 frame from Germany (serial number and proof mark). Close inspection shows that there is evidence that they chopped down/shortened the grip and reworked it. You can see and feel the slight uneveness of the front strap. You can also see evidence inside the magwell, also. Also, the hooked contour of the trigger guard has been rounded (Sorry, you won't be able to see it on pics, but I can tell you that work was done in that area.)

The grip panels are dated 1983 (no surprises, there). They are full size P226 grips chopped down and reworked to fit the new compact grip frame. You can see the faint outlines of the plugs they improvised to seal up the bottom.

Typical old time SIG:

BARREL: Unproofed, unserialized. Looks grayish unfinished to me. And it looks like they did dome mods to the lug.

Here we go, "PROTO-1". Eek
And, it would appear that they had MGW did the frame modifications. So, who is MGW? Is it Maryland Gun Works? Or, is it Midwest Gun Works?

MAGAZINE:
They chopped down the full size P226 mag and shaved the bottom of the follower a little to accommodate 13 rounds. Contrast that with the original longer P228 13-rounder. Also, since the new bottom of the mag is right where the indentations are, they had to reshape the bottom metal liner.
Cool

WEIGHT w/ empty mag = 29.2 oz, which is just a hair lighter than the stock P228 (29.3 oz).

And, this review would not be complete without a comparison to the P228. Smile
Here it is, against my EDC (a JK P228).
I'll tell you, like I said in the other thread, this is what the P228 should have been. Man, the shorter grip, still holding 13 rounds, feels just about perfect, especially with the old style checkered grips.

***************************************************************************************************************************
***************************************************************************************************************************

EDITED to incorporate, from a separate thread, a quick shooting evaluation that was done on 10/21/2016:

Day off, and a perfect fall day to head out to the range for a quickie with PROTO-1.

Ammo: Speer Lawman 124Gr TMJ, Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115Gr JHP, Freedom Munitions 124Gr RN

# rounds fired = 100

Mags used: original PROTO-1 mag and Mec-Gar P228 15-rounder

Malfunctions: none

Observations: Handling and balance are wonderful. Trigger is typical of old school German SIGs. POI is slightly higher than POA.

Conclusion: *****>>> Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin <<<*****

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, it would appear that they had MGW did the frame modifications. So, who is MGW? Is it Maryland Gun Works? Or, is it Midwest Gun Works?
A couple of phone calls might reveal a lot, assuming there's anyone around at either place who can tell us about activity at their company in the 1980s.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing 12131.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
A couple of phone calls might reveal a lot, assuming there's anyone around at either place who can tell us about activity at their company in the 1980s.

I was planning on doing just that. Cool

Q

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pretty comprehensive review & comparison, glad to see it in the possession of a true aficionado.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Was the slide originally stamped as P225 and later changed to P226C?

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post