SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanstaafl72555:
Grips question on the 228.

I have two 228s and really love them both.... or rather I USED TO have two. My wife has declared that one of them is "hers."

That is fine, but the other one has two of the hogue hard rubber type panels on it. It is fatter, and I really like the feel of the factory polymer hard grips.

So, I got a pair on ebay. Problem is, they don't fit the gun. They dont lay down flat on the top side of the grips, and are not flush at all with the little notch right under the slide (again on either side)

The pistol is a Suisse police gun, made in Germany. It shoots great. I am just wondering if there is something about matching this thing up to grips that I am missing?

Thanks in advance

There have been revisions to Hogue grips over the years. Does it say Revision # or Revision with a Alpha letter on it? Seems like a F version is recent. IIRC.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

There have been revisions to Hogue grips over the years. Does it say Revision # or Revision with a Alpha letter on it? Seems like a F version is recent. IIRC.

I believe it is the used factory grip panels that don't fit tanstaafl's gun. If it was at the bottom of the frame I would say it may have the new style mainspring seat. If it was only the right grip panel the culprit could be the new coiled trigger bar spring, but, since it is at the top of both panels I agree with 12131 and say they might be warped. Have you tried them on your wife's P228? Maybe it has to do with the Suisse model like reinforced grip screw bushings or something.

Posts: 723 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I pulled out my 228's last night for a quick comparison. The one thing that caught my eye was the flat spot on top of my 2 tone/nickel 228. I will check the box and serial #.
All the photos are from the side-it seems easy to spot a carbon rolled slide from the "top".
Then i pulled out my 229 9mm SAS. It appears to be able to interchange slides with 228. Could this be considered in the lineage of the 228/M11?
Please comment on the mag comparability for ease of reference.
Again , very helpful post for 228.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonGlock26
posted Hide Post
P228 fans should appreciate this:

quote:
Here is a Sig Sauer M11 that was a result of a Combat Pistol Program in 1992. The Sig Sauer P228 won the test and became the M11 to be used by many investigative branches of the military. It was chosen because it was lighter and easier to conceal the the standard issue M9. The second picture is of the actual Sig Sauer X11 used during trials at Aberdeen, MD. - See more a The second picture is of the actual Sig Sauer X11 used during trials at Aberdeen, MD. t: http://www.tactical-life.com/m...sthash.7f2JPdsx.dpuf

http://www.tactical-life.com/m...rock-island-arsenal/

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum

Posts: 1197 | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
12131 Looks like you are the man to answer my question:

I own a 228 KF code. It has the nicest trigger I have ever known in a factory pistol. Smooth as glass, no creep or backlash. I bought it used, but it had not been fired much.

The trigger surface is smooth, and it has Trijicon sights.

Do you in your experience find the KF code 228's to tend to be this great?

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

I think the answer to your question was in this thread, about a month ago? Smile
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...780082073#6780082073

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I pulled out my 228's last night for a quick comparison. The one thing that caught my eye was the flat spot on top of my 2 tone/nickel 228. I will check the box and serial #.
All the photos are from the side-it seems easy to spot a carbon rolled slide from the "top".
Then i pulled out my 229 9mm SAS. It appears to be able to interchange slides with 228. Could this be considered in the lineage of the 228/M11?
Please comment on the mag comparability for ease of reference.
Again , very helpful post for 228.

Does your P229 9mm SAS Gen2 use the 229-1 mag (wide bottom, tapered top)? Or the old style straight wall P228/P229 mag?

All the P228s, except the stainless frame model, as noted above, can use only the old style mag, not the 229-1 mag.
The stainless frame model can use both style mags.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
OK: thanks, saw your collection and thought wow. Looking it over real close I feel it went to some very good gunsmith. It has all the qualities of a Bruce Gray magic, will send him the serial # and see if he worked on it.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread!

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: January 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Thanks for your time and efforts invested in this fine thread. Great stuff!!!

Posts: 61 | Location: Temecula, Ca. | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a variation I don't think I saw in your list. Don't know how many of these were made.

My first try at posting a photo -- hope it works.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Here's a variation I don't think I saw in your list. Don't know how many of these were made.

My first try at posting a photo -- hope it works.

It's on the list. It's one of the 3 GOTM P228s. Yours is the July 2003 variant (Desert camouflage finish. Production number = 352). Thank you for posting your pic. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
I wasn't sure it was the Desert camouflage model, thanks for confirming.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the JK date coded red cardboard box 228 that just sold for get this $1999.99 on gunbroker??? Wow!! Mine is a bit nicer with both original mags. One still unopened in the oiled plastic bag. I guess I was smart to turn down $1000 from a shooting buddy who knows I have it. I'm stunned at the purchase price.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
How about the JK date coded red cardboard box 228 that just sold for get this $1999.99 on gunbroker??? Wow!! Mine is a bit nicer with both original mags. One still unopened in the oiled plastic bag. I guess I was smart to turn down $1000 from a shooting buddy who knows I have it. I'm stunned at the purchase price.

When it first started, I said to myself, seller was dreaming with that BIN. But, when the eventual winner joined in, I kinda knew that BIN was going to be attainable. That was a fine gun, but no way I was going for the BIN.

Q

posted Hide Post
Who in their right sane mind would buy a 228 for almost $2000?????

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know. As long as the buyer is happy with the purchase, it's all good.
Just about 3 years ago, paying $1,900 for a NIB all nickel P228 would be considered insane.
Today? You would be high fiving, if you can get that gun at that price.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I don't know. As long as the buyer is happy with the purchase, it's all good.
Just about 3 years ago, paying $1,900 for a NIB all nickel P228 would be considered insane.
Today? You would be high fiving, if you can get that gun at that price.

Whew....at the time I found mine, everybody thought $1500.00 for a NIB (all nickel) was insane!!! Eek

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Hey 12131, I was trying to identify the case for a P228 I just picked up. Looking at the first photo, and going by the descriptions above, it appears you have the #4 and #5 switched.

If someone has already mentioned this, that's OK, I just wanted to make a post to get this thread back to the first page... where it belongs!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Hey 12131, I was trying to identify the case for a P228 I just picked up. Looking at the first photo, and going by the descriptions above, it appears you have the #4 and #5 switched.

If someone has already mentioned this, that's OK, I just wanted to make a post to get this thread back to the first page... where it belongs!

Yes, I am a cross-eyed idiot. Thanks for pointing that out. You're the man. Cool
I will make the correction, soon.

And, done! Thanks again. Smile

Q