SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, wish I had read this earlier.

As I have never had a P228, I can see the desire for those who have them.

My favorite would be the 2009 model with the SAS frame. Is the SAS designation for Sig pistols for rounded and less angular pistols?

This one shown in your thread appeals to me, are they hard to find? The aluminum grips set it off.

Anyway , thank you for collating all of this for us.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

My favorite would be the 2009 model with the SAS frame. Is the SAS designation for Sig pistols for rounded and less angular pistols?
This one shown in your thread appeals to me, are they hard to find? The aluminum grips set it off.

I can't disagree with you about the "SAS" frame P228. It is the best looking of them all.
The SAS designation comes from us out in SIG land, because of the P229 SAS frame. There is no official SIG SAS designation for this model. It's still just P228 from SIG.

SAS (SIG Anti Snag) = melt job rounding out the sharp corners/edges

I think what makes the SAS frame P228 look so nice is because its slide already looks perfect as is, without any melt job. Slap that slide onto the SAS frame, and you got the perfect looking SIG, imo. Cool

I don't know how many of the SAS frame P228s were made, but since it was only made in one year (2009), it can't be too many.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

I can't disagree with you about the "SAS" frame P228. It is the best looking of them all.
The SAS designation comes from us out in SIG land, because of the P229 SAS frame. There is no official SIG SAS designation for this model. It's still just P228 from SIG.

SAS (SIG Anti Snag) = melt job rounding out the sharp corners/edges

I think what makes the SAS frame P228 look so nice is because its slide already looks perfect as is, without any melt job. Slap that slide onto the SAS frame, and you got the perfect looking SIG, imo. Cool

I don't know how many of the SAS frame P228s were made, but since it was only made in one year (2009), it can't be too many.

I think if the stock 228 slide had been altered/dehorned , I would not have liked it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Just checking to see if this thread was still around. Wink

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dug up my test target just for the sake of completeness.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grips question on the 228.

I have two 228s and really love them both.... or rather I USED TO have two. My wife has declared that one of them is "hers."

That is fine, but the other one has two of the hogue hard rubber type panels on it. It is fatter, and I really like the feel of the factory polymer hard grips.

So, I got a pair on ebay. Problem is, they don't fit the gun. They dont lay down flat on the top side of the grips, and are not flush at all with the little notch right under the slide (again on either side)

The pistol is a Suisse police gun, made in Germany. It shoots great. I am just wondering if there is something about matching this thing up to grips that I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 4 | Registered: July 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Here's a poor pic of a never fired by me 2004 GOTM P228 with Hiviz. It's true safe queen, and I wish I had a camera that took better pics for ya. In the wrapper is a fired case for the states that require that item.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nice article.

Here's a cookie for you

Posts: 1512 | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
One of my two "twins":

The Hogue Kingwood grips are my favorites!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greekfed,

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anbu_yoshi
posted Hide Post
Regular 2007 model. You may use in your original post if you wish.

Stay safe and walk tall, my friends.

Posts: 35 | Location: CA | Registered: August 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Sweet!

Great info on American P228's.

You might consider making the pictures smaller.
They are making the page spread out and I have to scroll from side to side to read the text and view the picture. At least that's how its showing on my computer.
It may only be this one picture that's oversized;
Last batch of "regular" P228s (late 2012 to early 2013), with 3-letter serial prefixes, small black plastic box:

Yes, I concur. This will be a great source of onfo moving forward and the pocture size reduction will help immensely.

Terrific thread. Thanks so very much, 12131. I have yet to acquire my P228 and this thread will be the primary source for vital information.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that it would matter much, but Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) P228s also came in red cardboard boxes like this one. I picked it up when Bud's Gun Shop had that batch of like-new DAO CPO 228s in the summer of 2013.

Posts: 90 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks for adding your pics, guys. Cool

Blackhat, yes, as SIG started shipping their new guns in the black cardboard boxes in the past couple of years or so, the CPO guns are also shipped in the red cardboard boxes like yours. Thanks. Smile

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by tanstaafl72555:
Grips question on the 228.

I have two 228s and really love them both.... or rather I USED TO have two. My wife has declared that one of them is "hers."

That is fine, but the other one has two of the hogue hard rubber type panels on it. It is fatter, and I really like the feel of the factory polymer hard grips.

So, I got a pair on ebay. Problem is, they don't fit the gun. They dont lay down flat on the top side of the grips, and are not flush at all with the little notch right under the slide (again on either side)

The pistol is a Suisse police gun, made in Germany. It shoots great. I am just wondering if there is something about matching this thing up to grips that I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Up for those who may know.

Hard to say without pics what he meant. I thougt at first it's something to do with the older grips and the newer style coiled trigger bar spring. But, since he has problem with both grip panels, it's possible that the used (?) fleabay grips are warp somehow? Again, pics would be nice.

Q

Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Older frame P228?

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of karatekid2678
posted Hide Post
So question, do you have a son in law or looking for an adopted son to leave these to? I'm definitely in the market for a father in law and would strongly debate being adopted, okay for these yeah I would, I can send resume if needed Smile!! All I can say is WOW I'm drooling all over keyboard, I now have a new purpose in life, to match this collection. How long did it take to amass all these beauties? Thank you so for sharing these!!

Posts: 284 | Location: NC | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread. I have never had much of a hankering for a P228 but I recently ordered the 228 Parts kit from ebay for $154.99 so now I can shoot my 229 9mm as a 228 or 229 and have a bunch of spare parts for a good price when my order arrives.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I wanted to mention to the OP that this thread rocks!!!!!!! Thanks for posting this wealth of information.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
This thread reminded me that I had an early 228 that I had bought from a member here on the forum. It had been shot and had the slide refinished in nickle. Although not perfect it was very good.

Some time between the double digit JJ described above and B100691, the years changed as my gun is a JK. The original box showed the vendor as "Buds". to further bastardize the gun I had the lower hard chromed through a well known re-finisher. I like the looks of it now as I have always been partial to the nickle finish. I wish the gun had been in its original condition when I bought it but it wasn't so I felt I had little further to loose in plating it. Even though it does not get shot much, it shoots well.

I bought one of these from Bud's. They were police trade-ins. I believe they were factory two-tone nickle. Mine also has a JK (1989) date code. I'll have a look at my box. My label is in better condition than yours.

I bought a parts kit from topgunsupply.com and replaced the springs and grip screws. I also added Hogue finger groove grips. It came with original grips that were beat up and pretty slick. She is wearing Sile walnut grips in the picture.

Posts: 723 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post