SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This thread reminded me that I had an early 228 that I had bought from a member here on the forum. It had been shot and had the slide refinished in nickle. Although not perfect it was very good.

Some time between the double digit JJ described above and B100691, the years changed as my gun is a JK. The original box showed the vendor as "Buds". to further bastardize the gun I had the lower hard chromed through a well known re-finisher. I like the looks of it now as I have always been partial to the nickle finish. I wish the gun had been in its original condition when I bought it but it wasn't so I felt I had little further to loose in plating it. Even though it does not get shot much, it shoots well.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was considering selling a recently acquired P228 that requires a little TLC. This thread was the antidote to that! Now it has had the opposite affect, because I think I need at least two more to go with the one I have now. Having owned two P220's, a P225, two P226's, and two P228's, (I'm on my second one), I can say the P228 is my favorite Sig Sauer handgun.

Thanks for the thread.

Best,

Dave

"Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari" ("Victory comes while the sword is still in the scabbard")

Posts: 1032 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I’ll bet you don’t have one like this:

Smile

Just to confirm, I assume that the blanked out digit on the slide is one number lower than the blanked out digit on the frame. Correct?

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vashner
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't know where to post this but someone is selling used P228's on gunbroker for $409-450 right now. A bunch of them. The pictures alone are interesting. They are beat to hell and looks like someone tossed them into a box and left them to rust for 20 years but I wish I had $400 spare right now to snag one.

Posts: 6279 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I’ll bet you don’t have one like this:

Smile

redleg2/9, have you posted pics of your P228 before? I swear I've seen a gun with sequential serial number(s) on the frame and slide like yours. It was either yours, or someone else has one like that, too.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vashner
posted Hide Post
See how the last 2 nine's are starting to turn down? It's the stamping mechanism failing to turn to 000. His gun is basically a one of a kind factory defect.

Posts: 6279 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The gun world's equivalent of an error coin. Amazing! Cool

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Have you received your latest 228 acquisition from the Classifieds yet? It's a beauty...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
quote:

Have you received your latest 228 acquisition from the Classifieds yet? It's a beauty...

Yes, it is. Have not taken pics, yet. Cool

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What was that? I thought was a nickel 228? Something more recent??

Posts: 471 | Registered: September 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was either yours, or someone else has one like that, too.

Good memory, I posted this photo of my gun earlier this year here on the forum.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swpre18:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, it's the nickel one from onequickwrench. Just haven't had the time to do some pics, yet.

ETA: Here you go, the nickel one I got from onequickwrench. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, it's the nickel one from onequickwrench. Just haven't had the time to do some pics, yet.

Ahhh! The one 228 you got with the army CID engraving, is that truly issued from CID? Or was the engraving done by owner or others?

Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131! Just acquired a 'KB' 2-Tone 228 last September. Love it! Black controls except for the nickel plated hex screws. Not sure if it's factory finish but it has the characteristic long discoloration/stain on the lower edge of the right side of the slide that I see on most of my German made SIGs.(2-3" long 1/8" wide) What is that anyway? I'll try to post some pix in the next day or two...

+1 for the sticky thing.

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume that the blanked out digit on the slide is one number lower than the blanked out digit on the frame.

Sorry straightshooter01, I had missed your question. Correct, the frame is 2x2000 and the slide is 2x1999.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ahhh! The one 228 you got with the army CID engraving, is that truly issued from CID? Or was the engraving done by owner or others?

Previous owner is CID agent, and had the P228R (his personal gun) engraved with the CID agent badge as a graduation gift to himself. The P228R is not military issued. The non-rail M11 is what CID agents carry.
No matter, I love this P228R. It's basically one of a kind P228. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by HawkeyeJohn:
Thanks 12131! Just acquired a 'KB' 2-Tone 228 last September. Love it! Black controls except for the nickel plated hex screws. Not sure if it's factory finish but it has the characteristic long discoloration/stain on the lower edge of the right side of the slide that I see on most of my German made SIGs.(2-3" long 1/8" wide) What is that anyway? I'll try to post some pix in the next day or two...

+1 for the sticky thing.

That "discoloration/stain" is actually normal on these SIGs, whether nickel or blued. On some guns, they are prominent. On others, they are subtle, but they are there. Btw, the "stain" is also on the left side of the slide, right above the slide catch notch.

Q

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
beautiful collection of 228s

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Excellent thread and many great posts. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for collector P228s. I do believe they will continue to be sought after for years to come. For me the P228 is the gun that started it all for me, being the first Sig I fired, it inspired me to order my first handgun, a P239. Almost 10 years later the P228 is still one of my favorite guns and one of only a couple that I own multiples of.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Previous owner is CID agent, and had the P228R (his personal gun) engraved with the CID agent badge as a graduation gift to himself. The P228R is not military issued. The non-rail M11 is what CID agents carry.
No matter, I love this P228R. It's basically one of a kind P228. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by HawkeyeJohn:

+1 for the sticky thing.

That "discoloration/stain" is actually normal on these SIGs, whether nickel or blued. On some guns, they are prominent. On others, they are subtle, but they are there. Btw, the "stain" is also on the left side of the slide, right above the slide catch notch.

12131 I also love that p228r with CID engraving.
As to the discoloration, does this affect the value of an older 90s prestige 228?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the discoloration, does this affect the value of an older 90s prestige 228?

None whatsoever, to me, as it's not a defect.

Q