SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Excellent thread 12131! Appreciate all the info and pics. I had a Police trade in KE P228 with all matching serial numbers a few years ago, but sold it. I recently replaced it with a nice 2003 model. May I ask what your favorite grips are for the P228?

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Excellent post - thank you for taking the time and putting it together, and the compliment.

You've got a very nice collection of P228's. I'll keep an eye out for that JJ gun. I'm sure there are a few out there, it's just a matter of hunting and getting lucky. I did see one for sale about 5 or 6 years ago, but it was rough.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10443 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice write up. Wink

I love the JK P228, I never did find one while I was collecting '89 and older Sigs......

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1520 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of all things P228.

You've compiled a truly amazing collection of P228's!

I also vote to make this a Sticky.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is very cool of you to impart it rather than guard it closely.

I know your list is really talking about P228s originally commercially available in the US. At the same time, I know you like anything P228 related. So, I'll share my P228, which is German made circa 2000. It's triple serialed, with proof marks. Of course, it's a Swiss police turn-in with import marks.

Originally issued to "Alain Bovy":

Who was/is in the Gendarmerie vaudoise:

Proof marks, date code "AA" (2000):

Serials (barrel is serialed on opposite side), import marking (ugly):

ETA: why not one more. Not impressive shooting on my part, but the pistol can certainly do its part even with an unknown round count/service history:

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgshoemake:
Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this posting

Do you know if the P228 started with the serial number B000 000 or maybe B100 000? I'm asking because I have a P228 with the serial number B100 6xx (JK)

Not absolutely certain, but, based on biggs' 1988 JJ gun, serial # B100 075, my educated guess would be that the series started with B100 000, and not B000 000. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Excellent thread 12131! Appreciate all the info and pics. I had a Police trade in KE P228 with all matching serial numbers a few years ago, but sold it. I recently replaced it with a nice 2003 model. May I ask what your favorite grips are for the P228?

Thanks. My favorite grips are the checkered aluminum, whether they are the old style SIG made or the Hogue made.

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is very cool of you to impart it rather than guard it closely.

I know your list is really talking about P228s originally commercially available in the US. At the same time, I know you like anything P228 related. So, I'll share my P228, which is German made circa 2000. It's triple serialed, with proof marks. Of course, it's a Swiss police turn-in with import marks.

Originally issued to "Alain Bovy":

Who was/is in the Gendarmerie vaudoise:

Proof marks, date code "AA" (2000):

Serials (barrel is serialed on opposite side), import marking (ugly):

BuddyChryst, thank you very much for posting your 2000 AA Swiss police gun. Although it is not part of the original thread, it is certainly helpful. Thanks for sharing the pics. Cool

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Wasn't quite sure that you wanted just random images but here's my 98" KJ German P228. In fact when I went on my 1911 binge this was the only Sig that I kept..I'll never part with mine!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TightLines
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for turning this into collective knowledge.

Posts: 102 | Location: United States | Registered: August 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonGlock26
posted Hide Post
Dept. issued KB (1991) Sig P228 DAO.

With G-10 grips:

Currently, converted to DA/SA with E2 grips and new style short trigger.

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum

Posts: 1197 | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Great thread with great info and pics. Thanks to all for your efforts. 12131 good work!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Bumping to see if we can get this pinned/stickied...

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet you don’t have one like this:

Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2269 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I’ll bet you don’t have one like this:

Smile

CPO? Or, you swapping slides? Cool

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Nope, directly from Sig that way. Evidently, the slide was stamped before the number die could roll completely to "2xx000". Notice the descending position of the last three slide digits.

I am the second owner and have the box, etc. - definitely not CPO.

– Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 2269 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope, directly from Sig that way. Evidently, the slide was stamped before the number die could roll completely to "2xx000". Notice the descending position of the last three slide digits.

Now, that's most interesting. But, I still don't get how SIG let loose into the wild such a gun (slide and frame with different numbers). Does the barrel's number match the frame? Slide?
Thanks for posting such a strange beast, M. Cool

Q

Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
The Sig rep. was stumped and - with a pregnant pause - said he had no idea.

The barrel number matches the frame, which matches the case.

I think I shall classify this sub-species as a "slow roll P228".

Now, do you have one like it in your vastly superior 228 collection? Smile

– Napoleon Bonaparte

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Sig rep. was stumped and - with a pregnant pause - said he had no idea.

The barrel number matches the frame, which matches the case.

I think I shall classify this sub-species as a "slow roll P228".

Now, do you have one like it in your vastly superior 228 collection? Smile

Never thought my collection is superior to anyone's.
Btw, if I have one like yours, I wouldn't be asking you all these questions, now, would I? Razz

Q

Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never thought my collection is superior to anyone's.

My friend, you have the Louvre Museum - and I have an Etch A Sketch. Frown

– Napoleon Bonaparte

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by redleg2/9:

Wow, that's a stunner! Wonder what happened to the gun with the 000 serialized frame, I bet it has the matching 000 and that would make its slide an absolute twin of yours!!! This sig goes down in sig history, if not the 228 history. I doubt this happens often given the german 'quality control' Wink
what year / date code is this?! Also,
Looking from the barrel hood, seems carried but not much shot??

Posts: 471 | Registered: September 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
This is the gun with the "000" frame. The die was probably rotated sufficiently to correct to the "001" frame and slide.

But what do I know - I slept at home last night.

And for my Oriental Redneck, might I change the "superior" to "magnificent"? Either way, it is a hell of a collection of 228's. And,I didn't intend for this to be a highjack, just a friendly, light poke at fun.

– Napoleon Bonaparte