SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ford_shooter:
called sig back and after being on hold for 30 min I finaly got to talk to someone. This time I was told its too old for their system and that it is more than likely a P229 frame. He couldn't give me a part number either.

Figure. Happened too many times. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah it sucks knowing now its not a real P228 like I wanted but I'm still going to shoot the hell of it. Don't feel as bad now if i scratch it.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Wow, now *that* is a post...just stumbled onto this, and as someone whose lusted after an early production P228 for awhile, this is an amazing resource. Thank you sir, for posting this...

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
7. M11-A1: the excellent but much maligned P228/M11 wannabe. Started life in 2012 and still going. It’s really a P229, with the P229 slide, 229-1 frame, but wearing the P228 grip.

I had a chance to pickup one of these at a darn good price, probably should've put it towards a circa 1989 or so P228, but couldn't pass it up. You're right in that it's misunderstood, but it is an excellent shooter, the stainless slide simply eats up the 9mm's recoil like M&M's. Great gun, put a Bruce Gray P-Spit into it and sent it to Sig for an Enhanced Action job, now it's superb!

Anyway, thanks posting the great resource!

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an AI(9mm) and an AM(.40), neither are railed and both have P229 slides and grips w/slotted screws. Just saw on GB an AM (.40 railed) with Torx grip screws. Also observed an AB (.40 no rail) with the right side frame marking "FRAME P229-MADE IN GERMANY" Never noted this on any later models. Seems to be a lot of variations out there.

Posts: 28 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter3116: Also observed an AB (.40 no rail) with the right side frame marking "FRAME P229-MADE IN GERMANY" Never noted this on any later models. Seems to be a lot of variations out there.

My AD has that.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Ever heard of the P228 Night Stalker 12131?

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:

Yeah, the one with that complicated looking gizmo they call light/laser attached in front? Very ugly.

Btw, how about a pic of your factory nickel KA? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great read . Lots of good facts.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got to check one of these out at Robert Burke's shop. Q is right - it's really ugly...it looks like a movie prop from the 80s...but the way they made it all work is fascinating...the little wires in the slide, the contacts, etc. the way it was all rigged up looks like the laser cut out when the pistol was fired. there were contacts in the rear rails that mated to the slide, the slide had the wires in recessed channels to carry the current to the front, etc, but contact was only made when the slide was in the home position. Very impressive to see the custom work but still very ugly. It was something I could appreciate logically but not emotionally...didn't resonate w/ me at all.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quantum13:
quote:

I got to check one of these out at Robert Burke's shop. Q is right - it's really ugly...it looks like a movie prop from the 80s...but the way they made it all work is fascinating...the little wires in the slide, the contacts, etc. the way it was all rigged up looks like the laser cut out when the pistol was fired. there were contacts in the rear rails that mated to the slide, the slide had the wires in recessed channels to carry the current to the front, etc, but contact was only made when the slide was in the home position. Very impressive to see the custom work but still very ugly. It was something I could appreciate logically but not emotionally...didn't resonate w/ me at all.

Yeah, that's the one Robert was trying to sell on GB a year or two ago.

Q

posted Hide Post
I would imagine! I take it from your wording that he was not successful :P

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quantum13:
I would imagine! I take it from your wording that he was not successful :P

Yes. I distinctly remember it. The asking/starting price was in the neighborhood of $1500. And the unit wasn't working, because something wrong with one of the wires, and that he wasn't willing to mess with it. Don't know if he finally made it to work now. I did email him with a question about the thing at the time.

Q

Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
This is the Night Stalker that got this discussion going.

http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/36024rau.jpg

"Sig-Sauer P228 Night Stalker, 9MM Semi-Auto with 3 7/8" Barrel, Has VITC Night Stalker Laser System With Both Visible & Infrared Lasers, Dot/Post Sights, (1) 13-Round Factory Magazine, 98% With Box & Night Stalker Manual, Needs Batteries

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Sig-Sauer P228 Night Stalker, 9MM Semi-Auto with 3 7/8" Barrel, Has VITC Night Stalker Laser System With Both Visible & Infrared Lasers, Dot/Post Sights, (1) 13-Round Factory Magazine, 98% With Box & Night Stalker Manual, Needs Batteries

Never even heard of this one. Definitely interesting. This is a great thread.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes. I distinctly remember it. The asking/starting price was in the neighborhood of $1500. And the unit wasn't working, because something wrong with one of the wires, and that he wasn't willing to mess with it. Don't know if he finally made it to work now. I did email him with a question about the thing at the time.

Yeah that's right; it didn't work and I don't think it was obvious why. I'm not sure I would have wanted to mess with it either - though of course it would be a hard sell in that shape. I recall being fascinated by it but uninterested given the state of it.

Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
Just finished a day at the German IWA show. Made a few more inquiries for some JJs... you never know! Bought a very early 229 stainless and a few other items as well. Met with a SIG historian on obscure SIG history. He also explained the spare slide markings and letters after the SN on some barrels.
Sig Germany is hiring and the Mastershop is coming back. They are very interested in the US market. Perhaps a new batch of 228s?? We will see.

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220parts:
Just finished a day at the German IWA show. Made a few more inquiries for some JJs... you never know! Bought a very early 229 stainless and a few other items as well. Met with a SIG historian on SIG history. He also explained the spare slide markings and letters after the SN on some barrels.
Sig Germany is hiring and the Mastershop is coming back. They are very interested in the US market. Perhaps a new batch of 228s?? We will see.

Did they find some more folded slides somewhere in the back corner of the electrical room? Big Grin Because I remember it was said that the original equipment to make the folded slides were scrapped?

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but that's not complete. This is the complete system. Eek

Q

Picture of 220parts
posted Hide Post
I am scheduling a factory visit to see what is available. They mentioned new equipment was purchased. You never know what is tucked away. Last time it was some beautiful Nill grips and a .357 X5! Wonder if there is sufficient demand for a new batch (besides the obvious)!

Veni, Vidi, Risi

Posts: 891 | Location: SW, NH | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks wonderful post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 15 | Registered: July 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post