SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Here we go, "PROTO-1". Eek
And, it would appear that they had MGW did the frame modifications. So, who is MGW? Is it Maryland Gun Works? Or, is it Midwest Gun Works?

Eek Eek Eek I can't believe waynewash left this out of his initial post! This is amazing. Congrats to 12131, I had no doubt it would end up with you, as well it should.

As an aside, I'm not a business major and it looks like the mystery may be solved, but it seems like there should have only been one company officially operating under the "MGW LTD" title, and it ought to be documented somewhere.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it seems like a detail you'd want to include. Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was pleasantly shocked, too, as you can tell from the original post. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, I was pleasantly shocked, too, as you can tell from the original post. Big Grin

Nothing like finding it stamped Holy Grail as a happy affirmation of your purchase!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up and the wonderful photos.
Of course you'll give an analysis when you come back from the range Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131 - Congratulations Again to you for being able to secure this beautiful piece of history that could have been lost had it not been for Para, Wayne, and SIG2340. Also as other have said thanks for sharing the details on your great review. The detailed pictures are wonderful to help tell the creation of this pistol.

One question that I have to ask because it stands out - to me - when looking at the pictures. One side of this pistols frame reflects that the top grip screw hole in the frame is different - almost like it is missing the insert. Am I seeing this correctly? Just curious as to why this one grip screw connection point on the pistol frame looks different....

Again Congratulations Sir - this pistol could not have gone to a better person that I am sure will continue to follow every possible lead to learn as much about this pistols history as anyone who loves to shoot and collect these beautiful works of art.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
When Lee Salter told me about the development of the 228, he said the original R&D pieces were actually 226s.

I specifically remember him talking about cutting the slides, removing a section, and welding the end caps onto the main portions of the slides. The way he talked about it, I got the impression that was done in the US. Maybe after their testing, they found it was better to just go with a 225 slide?

He also said one sticking point they had was with the springs for their cut down pistol.

12131 congratulations on your great acquisition!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Looking at the image comparing PROTO-1 to your P228, I was struck by how it reminded me of the profile is to a SIGPro, especially the bottom of the grip and pinky extension. Now there is no likelihood of genes from PROTO-1 making the leap back to Switzerland, but it seems similar.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just shot an email inquiry to MGW Ltd in GA. We will see. Cool

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.
sigarmsp226, the "missing" grip screw insert was just together with the screw itself. Wink

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, congrats on winning the auction and many thanks for sharing the dissection of this historical pistol!

MudPhud

Posts: 41 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
very nice.

How do this compare in size to the Beretta Type M or Type L?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
***** UPDATE from MGW Ltd (yes, Maryland Gun Works)*****

Back in the early to mid 80's, when MGW was still in Maryland, Sig
consigned them to actually machine from raw stock some frames out of 7075
alum. It was basically an exercise to prove that the frames could be
machined in the states.

None of them were supposed to go on actual production
pistols.

They could not tell me anything specific about PROTO-1, but obviously, although PROTO-1 was not machined from raw stock at MGW, they did work to modify the original full size P226 frame into the compact.
So, there you have it, my friends, the final piece of the puzzle is found. WOW!!! What a story. Eek Eek Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And there ya go.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Great news, 12131...this is as good as a Paul Harvey ending!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
I bet the anticipation of its arrival was huge indeed. Big Grin

I'm not sure I could have handled having that shipped... I might have had to go get it...

What an incredibly cool story

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Did you ever confirm is the the base pad is a modified Beretta 92SB or F compact L base pad? It sure looks like it. Even the way the grip flares at the bottom is very Beretta like.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Sorry, I can't confirm, as I no longer own any Berettas, and never did own a compact like that. But, it (the base pad) sure does look the same. I can tell you that it is metal. Is the Beretta's metal, also?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I really like that they marked the pistol like this. No doubt to be # 1, friggin awesome piece sir.

Dang I want to ask about something here but cant get my memory and brain to work together.

I had a custom piece worked on years back, S&W revolver. Pistol Smith of the year, George Wessinger from S. Carolina did the conversion.

George and, another former LEO were friends. His friend I thought worked at MGW and at one point was President of the Pistol Smiths Guild. If his name comes to me, I will post it.

It all may mean absolutely nothing but I find it interesting with the MGW marking.

Alan Marvel ! Just thought I would mention this and I still may be off base as Marvel was in Maryland.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
George and, another former LEO were friends. His friend I thought worked at MGW and at one point was President of the Pistol Smiths Guild. If his name comes to me, I will post it.

Probably Lou Ciamillo, the owner/founder of Maryland Gun Works, originally in Hyattstown MD, and then later MGW which moved to GA. Lou was a retired LEO, a charter member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild, and a past president as well. During the 70's, his specialty was revolver work for for PPC competition.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you Henry, it was my PPC gun but I guess the LEO, Mr. Marvel had no attachment to MGW. My confusion.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post