SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That rollmark has been altered. Originally, it said P225.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
That's an amazing find. I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of a gun that there was only one in existence.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Was the slide originally stamped as P225 and later changed to P226C?

Based on that weird looking "6", one would say it was a "5" originally, since it belonged on a P225 originally. Wouldn't you say so?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Based on that weird looking "6", one would say it was a "5" originally, since it belonged on a P225 originally. Wouldn't you say so?

I would agree.

Wow. The world's unique P228 finds its way to ownership by the world's greatest P228 collector. A perfect story. Congrats!

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the 4th paragraph of his post:

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:The first few pics are just overall appearance of the gun. It's pretty clear that the slide assembly originally belonged to a JE (1984) P225, with the P225-type serial number. The "5" was converted to a "6", and the "C" was added. The frame obviously is not full size P226, but it clearly wears the P226-type serial number.

Edit: didn't advance a page & see this was already answered...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you plan to shoot it?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

From the 4th paragraph of his post:

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:The first few pics are just overall appearance of the gun. It's pretty clear that the slide assembly originally belonged to a JE (1984) P225, with the P225-type serial number. The "5" was converted to a "6", and the "C" was added. The frame obviously is not full size P226, but it clearly wears the P226-type serial number.

Edit: didn't advance a page & see this was already answered...

Yes John, you do have a keen eye for detail.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Do you plan to shoot it?

Absolutely. Already knowing how great it feels in hand, I want to see what it feels like to shoot this unicorn. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
And, it would appear that they had MGW did the frame modifications. So, who is MGW? Is it Maryland Gun Works? Or, is it Midwest Gun Works?
A couple of phone calls might reveal a lot, assuming there's anyone around at either place who can tell us about activity at their company in the 1980s.

I was planning on doing just that. Cool

Not sure that Midwest has been around that long.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Read this information regarding Maryland Gun Works. It appears that their description of their services matches up with what Lee Salter would have needed to create the prototype.

Sig had some of the equipment that would have been needed for fine parts fitting, but cutting down the frame would have required a third party.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/about-mgw

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nice review, and fantastic that #1 of 3 made it through and is in your hands.

Have you managed to get the grin off your face yet? Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I bet the anticipation of its arrival was huge indeed. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Great writeup and thank you Sir! So glad you ended up with PROTO-1 in your collection. Would love to see Sig make this model come to fruition... damn shame they didn't make a deal with Wayne and then copy the design. Maybe you can lend it to them for a little while... Wink

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Read this information regarding Maryland Gun Works. It appears that their description of their services matches up with what Lee Salter would have needed to create the prototype.

Sig had some of the equipment that would have been needed for fine parts fitting, but cutting down the frame would have required a third party.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/about-mgw
. Sounds.like the correct place. Be interesting to hear the story.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iam2340pro1
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131 for the awesome review.Let us know how she shoots!!

If we meet and you forget me you have lost nothing but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him you have lost everything.

Posts: 758 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Nice piece of history. Thank you for the review.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That really is an amazing piece of Sig firearms history. When I look at that grip to slide ratio I am reminded of the P224.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

I can fill in a bit of earlier history on MGW. Lou Ciamillo's Maryland Gun Works existed before 1984. That's when they moved to GA and became what they are now. Lou operated out of an old church in Hyattstown MD, at the northern edge of Montgomery County, in the 1970's. His sign on the building said Maryland Gun Works, and he later relocated to Ijamsville MD prior to moving to GA. His specialty was PPC revolvers, some of the best made, it is said. He was charter member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild. He was a retired LEO, and by the late 1970's with the demand for IPSC type guns he started building some of those. I was fortunate to have one built in 1979 at the Hyattstown church, a base model Colt Govt. with pretty much the same mods we do today, blued slide over hard chrome frame. I drove up to the shop (just a few miles up the road from Gaithersburg) twice, once to order, and once to pick it up. Back then, we just walked across the street to a vacant lot to test fire it. Try that in Montgomery County now Smile Unfortunately, I no longer have that pistol. I wish I had hung on to it.

It is unclear from the link if Lou is still alive. He would be quite old if he is. I believe most of the early output of MGW was based on jigs he had fabricated over the years to make his gunsmithing easier, and then once they had the CNC equipment and facility, it just took off.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nice review, and fantastic that #1 of 3 made it through and is in your hands.

Have you managed to get the grin off your face yet? Big Grin

I was just a witness and it's hard to not smile reading/seeing this. Knowing the history and that our resident 228 expert got THE only prototype.

It's an awesome story, with an happy ending.

Enjoy 12131!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post