SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP))
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P228 - facts, factoids, and opinions ((**Updated** - P226C (aka, PROTO-1) info incorporated into OP)) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NCHornet:
Thanks for the quick reply. Beautiful collection of some of the best pistols ever made, at least in my opinion.

As for the plastic guide rods vs metal, I have read posts like this on other forums as well. It seems at different times in Sig's history it seemed they thru whichever guide rod they grabbed out of a box on the bench. I have kept the stock guide rod for each Sig pistol that I have owned, they spend their life with me in a ziploc bag with a sticky note that showed which pistol they came from. I prefer the added weight of a solid guide rod. YMMV?

You might well be right. Not surprising, when it comes to SIG. All of my P228s have the metal guide rods, except the ones from 2009.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlimMan
posted Hide Post
The original and subsequent posts convinced me to try to find a W German P228. They are certainly available, but what I was finding was either more than I was willing to pay or rather beat up. I'm not a big fan of gun shows, but several weeks ago I went to one and stumbled across a P228 that was in good condition (but no box, etc) and had all matching SNs. I ended up getting it for a little under $600 which, considering its condition, I thought was a good deal. I've been to the range once with it and it functions perfectly and is very accurate. It has a 1993 date code.

Posts: 268 | Location: Parrish FL | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Congratulations you have entered the realm that made Sigs famous. Nothing better than a West German Sig.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
228MD-9-B. Can anyone tell me what the "MD" means? I'm assuming the 9 is 9mm and B is blued.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Maryland perhaps? maybe it has a fired casing in the box.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
228MD-9-B. Can anyone tell me what the "MD" means? I'm assuming the 9 is 9mm and B is blued.

[Image Deleted - Same as Above]

Magazine Disconnect.

Thanks, but I'm not sure. Is there a way I can visually confirm this or do I just have to test it at the range? The instruction manual doesn't mention it in the Safety Features or Troubleshooting sections, I don't see it mentioned in the Armorers Manual, and when I google P228 magazine disconnect the very few results I get say the P228 does not have it.

I will ask the question in the SIG Armorer section.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've handled a P228 with a magazine disconnect before.
Picked it up at a gun show and also crapped myself when I looked at the price and its condition. Lucky for me my buddy attempted to dry fire the gun and discovered the disconnect.
With the magazine out of the gun try pulling the trigger. If it has the MD it won't drop the hammer.
The hammer drops. So, if it had it, it's very obvious and not some internal safety like what the decocker does?

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
228MD-9-B. Can anyone tell me what the "MD" means? I'm assuming the 9 is 9mm and B is nitron finish.

Magazine Disconnect.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Called SIG and they don't know what the MD means either. The rep said she was checking the sigforum sticky! Big Grin It's a 2002 gun with (the parts) Made in Germany and so they have no way of looking it up.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Called SIG and they don't know what the MD means either. The rep said she was checking the sigforum sticky! Big Grin It's a 2002 gun with (the parts) Made in Germany and so they have no way of looking it up.

Some CSR has no clue. Some others, if they're willing to do just a little digging, will be able to tell you. When it comes this kind of thing, that's how SIG CS works. It's like throwing darts. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put this one in layaway today. I have a few Sig's and have owned many more but this will be my first 228.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohsheepdog:
Thanks for the info! I bought one that looks almost brand and thought it was a good price at $600. I will post pictures here once I get it.

These are the pics from the auction as I haven't had time to clean it and take my own pics yet. The almost pristine rails and frame sold me and I had to have it. Just got a new hammer strut, base, hammer spring and SRT kit. Installing it this weekend. Anyone have a set of night sights for sale? [

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Hey 12131,
Picked up a P228 the other day at an estate sale (along with a very nice P220 with the peened over W).

It's mint, circa 2012, and identical to your AHU13187 that you show on the first page. One minor anomaly, this one has the large black box normally associated with the 1998-2000 pistols. I guess you never know what they might find laying around when they box them up??

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Hey 12131,
Picked up a P228 the other day at an estate sale (along with a very nice P220 with the peened over W).

It's mint, circa 2012, and identical to your AHU13187 that you show on the first page. One minor anomaly, this one has the large black box normally associated with the 1998-2000 pistols. I guess you never know what they might find laying around when they box them up??

Very nice. Cool
And, I agree about the box.

Q

posted Hide Post
This is my contribution , picked this up today from the shop. Its was from a trade done thru this site. I originally wanted a 225A1 first , 220 / 226 combat second choice but will settle with this 9mm compact which feels good in the hand & is actually quite easy to look at.

triple serial , west german with it's original box , some paperwork & 3 - 13rd factory mags.

rails look awesome , nice & tight. I will start the process of setting it up for potential carry. I will have to put rounds thru her especially some 124gr xtp which is my carry load.

grips will probably change to hogues , sights will change also to hackathorn style sights which are offered by TGS. I will also change to a short reach trigger very soon & possibly an SRT swap if this model permits it.
Pep

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pep9,

Posts: 509 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
That looks good!
I don't think I've seen that manual before!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I have a P228 that is almost exactly like your "1995 (KF) Made In W. Germany" except mine says KD instead of KF (KD meaning?). It has a grey plastic matching case which puts it as '94 or '95 era if I'm understanding all your info correctly. The biggest question I have is what the "X" on the side of my slide means?

Pictures for reference...obviously somebody swapped out the manual at some point with an early 2000's...(Trijicons newly installed)

Posts: 764 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
KD meaning?

1993. Well '93' specifically, but implying that year as its birth year.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ KD = 1993
My guess is that gun has been refurbished (CPO) at SIG at some time later, like in the late 90s. That box is not original to the gun. That label style is the clue. It also might have had the "UD" label on it that might have been fallen off?

Here is a 1991 (KB) P228 that I know for sure has been back at SIG for CPO. Same label style, same non-original gray plastic case. It's not mine. Previous owner had asked me some info about it, and he subsequently sold it on GB.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I also wonder what the "X" on right side of the slide signifies? Police gun? I've seen once before on another P228 elsewhere. No one was able to decipher its meaning. Confused

Q