Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STI Pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Didn't the USMS just approve that gun for their SOG guys?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito ergo sum
Picture of trover
posted Hide Post
I have a used Tactical and love it.

Posts: 3471 | Location: Where It's Hot & Humid | Registered: April 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
STI is kind of a mixed bag these days, imo. Most of their guns are in the semi custom to custom gun price range and the quality is just not there...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I'd have to disagree w/ the premise that their quality is not there. I've purchased 5 of them in the last 18 months, all current models, and I've not had a single pistol issue nor mag issue. USMS SOG has chosen them as their duty and off-duty pistol, as well as other state, county and local departments. I'm also a member of multiple STI and 2011 forums and the general consensus is that STI has completely rebuilt themselves as the go-to 2011 platform for duty, defense and competition.

I will admit that their optics mounting system leaves something to be desired. Their first try was terrible, their current DUO systems is an improvement, but still not on par with a quality mill & mount job, IMO. YMMV.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Nothing but good things to say about mine. It's my only handgun I would place above my Sig X5 Skeleton and CZ TSO

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

Yes, the Staccato P was adopted by the USMS SOG, along with LA County Sheriff’s Department, LAPD, Long Beach PD, Riverside County Sheriffs, to name a few. All told, 60 departments in 19 states have selected the Staccato P as their go-to-gun. (per STI)

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm down to 5 STIs
They are the most used gun for the action pistol sports.
All are I guess what you would call older pistols.
I have heard that quality has slipped, but, the guys I know that bought newer guns, that had issues were taken care of promptly.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IANative:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
STI is kind of a mixed bag these days, imo. Most of their guns are in the semi custom to custom gun price range and the quality is just not there...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I'd have to disagree w/ the premise that their quality is not there. I've purchased 5 of them in the last 18 months, all current models, and I've not had a single pistol issue nor mag issue. USMS SOG has chosen them as their duty and off-duty pistol, as well as other state, county and local departments. I'm also a member of multiple STI and 2011 forums and the general consensus is that STI has completely rebuilt themselves as the go-to 2011 platform for duty, defense and competition.

I will admit that their optics mounting system leaves something to be desired. Their first try was terrible, their current DUO systems is an improvement, but still not on par with a quality mill & mount job, IMO. YMMV.

If you spend any time in The competitive shooting circles, you will not be able to toss a piece of spent brass without hitting someone who has had to send their DVC in for warranty work. Glad yours work, but there are better options available at the current STI asking prices.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IANative:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

Yes, the Staccato P was adopted by the USMS SOG, along with LA County Sheriff’s Department, LAPD, Long Beach PD, Riverside County Sheriffs, to name a few. All told, 60 departments in 19 states have selected the Staccato P as their go-to-gun an approved duty gun . (per STI)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. These departments by and large are approving the gun for personal purchase and use. Very few of them are buying them for their officers and fewer still are buying them for all of their officers.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that pretty much the only competitors I see with stoppages and malfunctions are running 1911's or 2011's. Others may have a bad primer and have to clear a round, but the ones with stuck pistols or that take them out of the action at the steel shoots are the 1911 guys. I do see a lot of STI pistols, and most of the guys I see shooting them are high-speed experienced guys who can wring the most out of the pistols.

It may be that they do a lot more shooting and by comparison their malfunction rate is lower, but those are the ones that I see having problems that slow or take them out of the action. Other than that, it's mostly just ammunition-related.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some gorgeous guns and I am not really a 1911 fan. I love the Grand Master. I'm a sucker for the flash.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
I have a variety of STIs I've shot competitively over the last 15 years. I've had a part fail every now and then, but at no greater frequency (probably less given the round counts) than any other firearm manufacturer that I've owned and shot frequently, including SIG. All issues were fixed quickly by STI on their dime. I can't tell you how many classes I've taken where we went through 1500-2000 rounds in a few days without a choke.

This Eagle 5.0 has more than 120K rounds of .45 through it. It's on the 2nd slide and barrel (all paid for by STI).

I'll keep buying them. I've been looking for a DVC-P in .45 recently.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
I have a variety of STIs I've shot competitively over the last 15 years. I've had a part fail every now and then, but at no greater frequency (probably less given the round counts) than any other firearm manufacturer that I've owned and shot frequently, including SIG. All issues were fixed quickly by STI on their dime. I can't tell you how many classes I've taken where we went through 1500-2000 rounds in a few days without a choke.

This Eagle 5.0 has more than 120K rounds of .45 through it. It's on the 2nd slide and barrel (all paid for by STI).

I'll keep buying them. I've been looking for a DVC-P in .45 recently.

Large rollmark eagles and edges are the best guns STI built.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post