SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CANIK Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CANIK Pistols Login/Join 
posted
Am I late to the party on this?

Was at the LGS today and came across the top of the line model. 499 seemed to get you a hell of a deal.

Trigger was light and the re-set seemed to be impressive.

Anyone have real world experience with one?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Love mine. It was $299 new in box for base model.

TP9

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the TP9 V2 version. It was very nice, super accurate and well made. I only sold it because I needed something smaller. $499 seems really high for one though. I paid $310. Part of their appeal is the cheap price. If I had $499, I'd go for a Glock, Sig P320, HK VP9, etc.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warbird1
posted Hide Post
I do believe he is talking about the TP9SFX which is designed for competition. I have owned the TP9SF Elite and now own the TP9SF. Just my opinion but I believe they are outstanding firearms. I take it ahead of any Glock!

If I want it... I need it !

Posts: 44 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine owns 3 Caniks - TP9SFX, TP9SA, and TP9DA. I have been able to shoot all of his Caniks and they have been 100% reliable out of the box. If I was going to buy a new 9mm, it would be the TP9DA. I like the idea of DA/SA in a striker fired pistol. YMMV

They have very good triggers out of the box (I would put the triggers on par with my PPQs), are accurate and seem to be well built. Price point is very attractive.

The downside I see is that CAI is the importer for the Canik TP9 series and Tri Star for the other Canik made firearms. Getting spare factory parts may be an issue, I guess time will tell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pinbot1966,

Posts: 88 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
These guns deserve far more attention than what they currently get. But before anyone gets too carried away, try ordering replacement parts first. Century has them on their website, but what I can tell they're only available for registered DEALER sales.

Then there's the CS support. There's their 1-800 number, and hitting '1' supposedly brings you to their CS department. Found that via a Google search. However when putzing around their website I found the same phone number, but all site descriptions makes it sound like the phone call is more for product SALES at the dealer level, not really for warranty and end-user concerns. Guess I'll have to try calling to see what happens.

I knew that CS support in the past was a dicey thing with Century. But I had hoped that it would at least LOOK better by now.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a chance on the TP9 DA (it was in Cerakote burnt bronze, and I'm such a sucker for that color). Got downright boring changing out a 2" paster at the 7 yard line every mag change. Was so impressed, I bought the SF Elite and SF Elite-S. Those little gems and their laser-like performance led me to buy the SF. Anyone see a pattern here? If they would offer those models in .357 Sig and .45 ACP, I'm in deep trouble! And I agree with 'pinbot1966' on the spare factory parts issue. I guess time will tell. There is even a Canik users FB page and forum so check those out as well.

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I saw a shooters firing pin break after 50 rnds fired.
I have read that this is NOT uncommon.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Canik TP9 SFX.
It is a very nice handgun.

It has been extremely accurate and 100% reliable so far (two range sessions). The day I bought it, I went right from the gun store to the range and ran 275 rounds through it. Flawless!

I then took it home, cleaned it, installed a Vortex Venom and ran another 250 rounds through it. No issues there either and now my accuracy is impressive. It makes my shooting look very good.

The trigger is excellent with a crisp break and a reset that feels like a quarter inch.

Some targets from yesterday's range session:

I magazine (20 rds) at 10 yards, offhand

With my last four shots of the day, I decided to rest the gun on a bag and squeezed off a group at 25 yards.

Like I said, it makes me look very good. I don't shoot anywhere close to that normally.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I don't own one or have trigger time but did get to inspect, play with the trigger on a TP9SF Elite. I will say the ergo's and trigger felt excellent. I am tempted to buy one, it felt much like my modified Gen 4 G19 in the hand.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
My example (T9SFX) has been awesome. Much like XL in the above post. Trigger is crisp and clean with a nice short audible reset. Mine has a Vortex Venom mounted. Great gun for the money.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ofc.JR
posted Hide Post
I know what everybody means: I am tempted to get one myself. Seems they are basically Walther P99's w/ an updated trigger on the SF's.
I always thought the P99 series was a great design, especially when the QA came out. That gun morphed into the PPQ almost overnight, so it's been hard to find a P99QA.
So probably an Canik Elite when I get the coin to do so.

"Cry Havoc and let slip..."
"Sic Semper Tyrannis!!"

Posts: 46 | Location: High Plains of Texas | Registered: December 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 Caniks. A TP9SA a V2 and an SF. They shot well enough but cosmetically QC was a little hit or miss. Reliability was good however. The most I paid for one new was $349. Your dealer is asking a bit too much for them. Shop around.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
For the SFX, $499m is about average.
I saw them for $479 on one site but they sold out quick
Either way, its a great deal for what you get.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Since I bought my TP9SFX it's the only gun I have been taking to the range. Love the thing.

My first few rounds at 10 yards off hand

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Dusty, now you're going to make me want a second Canik!

My regular SF's pretty sweet as it is. But now I'm wondering how much more the SFX brings to the table.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Dusty, now you're going to make me want a second Canik!

My regular SF's pretty sweet as it is. But now I'm wondering how much more the SFX brings to the table.

The difference between the SFX and the other Canik pistols is:
5.25" CHF barrel (they claim 'match grade')
Ported Slide (barrel is not ported) for weight reduction.
20 round magazines (2)
Improved trigger (about 3.5 lbs) with a very short reset
Extended slide release
Machined for RMR sight (comes with four mounting plates for the most popular reflex sights)
Charging handle (red dot mounting plates are machined to screw in a charging handle on either side)
Reversible safety with three different add-on extensions.
"Tungsten" Cerakote over phosphate slide
Warren Tactical sights (rear U notch, Fiber Optic front).

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
In case anyone was wondering the Canik's stipple nicely. I tried a talon like stick on grip and did not like it. This is much better.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A man of your considerable talent should just get a 226 and be done with all this plastic riff raff. Big Grin

Don't want to look like a bunch of Johnny Come Lately's.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I got to handle the Canik TP9SF Elite and I was impressed, mainly due to the trigger. G19 size, weight but better trigger out of the box. It is on the list.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post