SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 mag question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 mag question Login/Join 
posted
I'm not sure which category this would go in but I'll try here.

So, I have a P229 non-railed, frame made in Germany. I have a bunch of mags, some not marked for caliber. Those not marked for caliber hold 13 rounds. The marked mags are marked.40/.357 and hold 12.

Not seeing any difference between the marked and unmarked mags, I put some .40 ammo in the 13 rounders and hand cycled them without issue. However, I wonder if these aren't actually 9mm mags since they are 13 rounds.

So, question is this. Is there a difference in the mag geometry between the two calibers since the .40 fed fine by hand ? The 9mm fed fine too. So, what gives with these ? Thanks.

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Measure the widths of the unmarked ones and compare that to the widths of the 357/40 magazines. I will hazard a guess that the 357/40 mags are slightly wider and if so, the unmarked ones that hold 13 rounds of 9mm are for the P228.
(Assuming I understood everything you reported correctly.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check that today with some calipers. Thanks.Smile

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Odd that you don’t see any physical difference between the mags. The marked .40/.357 mags should be visibly wider at the bottom and taper narrower at the top third.

I am assuming you are determining the mag capacities by the witness holes and that the unmarked mags hold 13 rounds of 9mm, not .40 or .357, and should have straight sides. If the unmarked mags hold 13 rounds of .40, then I have no idea what kind of mags those are.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The non-marked 13-rounder could be some unknown aftermarket brand. Post pics of both next to each other, back view and side view, and that should clear up the confusion.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The non-marked 13-rounder could be some unknown aftermarket brand.

Yes, it seemed odd to me that factory magazines would not be marked in some way.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've learned to be very wary of any magazine that is not marked... either factory (is there such?) or aftermarket... it they can't put their name on it what does that tell you about how they feel about their product?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've only known the .40/.357 Sig mags to hold 12 rounds and the 9mm mags to have 13.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post