SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Sauer P227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer P227 Login/Join 
posted
Looking at getting a Sig Sauer P227 with Rail and Night Sights (LE)

I know Sig no longer has them on there web site .Indiana & Pennsylvania State Police use them.
The 14 round Mags seem to be a weak point ..
10 Rounds is fine for my needs so not hung up on the 14 round Mags.

I like DA/SA triggers .. size wise it would be no problem for me to carry.

Can't find to much on line about high round counts and how they are holding up. Negatives  with the 227 as far as functioning ?

Thanks for any info !!!!

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Negatives  with the 227 as far as functioning ?

None.
Welcome to SF.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 227. Great pistol. I used only 10 round mags. Only reason I sold mine was I adopted the P320 .45 Compact.
Welcome aboard.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Welcome

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one with a DAK trigger! Welcome

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
never any problems with 14 round mags with mine. keep it in the nightstand with a 14 round in it.heres a used one for sale.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/pr...7+flat+dark+earth+45

Posts: 83 | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
227 is an excellent gun and one of my favorites, but there are quite a few threads about the problems with the 14 round mags. I had constant problems with mine but putting a Wolff PARA ORDNANCE STD/P14 10% XP MAG SPRING will Solve that problem.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
OK, so I am a weirdo.

I want a 227 to complete my straight...

Have 225, 226, 228, 229, 230, just need the 227 and I have a straight.

As you and other's have noted, I've read about issues with the 14 rounders.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of my P227, but then I am very fond of almost every metal framed Pxxx pistol that I have had the pleasure of shooting

The early mags had issues. Both 10 round and 14 round. I believe the mag catch was off by just a little bit. Remember, SIG was trying to use an existing magazine body from a previous auto loader.

The later mags I have used all had the problem fixed. I think they moved the notch on the magazines.

Yes, all 3 of my 14 round magazines work just fine

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The P227 is a wonderful gun. Stick to the 10 round mags and it will be a worth while investment.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
GT Distributors in Austin, TX is selling. Good luck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have the SAS version with the bobbed slide and barrel. It's yt go-to .45, leaving my 1911s in the safe. I only use the 10 rounders.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my P227, but am not a fan of the E2 grips. I swapped mine out for a set of G10 grips that I cut down and sanded to fit flush with the 10rd mags.

Sig P226R 9mm/40/357/22
Sig P226 357/40/9/22
Sig P6
Sig P228
Sig P229R DAK 357/40/9
SigPro 2340 40/357/9
SigPro 2022 40/357/9
Sig P938 9mm/22lr
Sig P227
Sig M18
Sig P365

Posts: 790 | Location: Los Angeles, CA & SLC, UT | Registered: April 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
I might have the "red headed step child" of Sig P2XX pistols. Mine is a 3.9 in BBL. Nitron carry (with dust cover rail) Low light sights are Okay , but I want the X-ray front.
My 14 round mags are corrected and dependable now, with 10%+ springs.
If folks only knew how intrinsically accurate that shorter Bbl.is... mouths would drop open.
At 15 yds. Standing free hold ...20 shots (2mags) of 230 fmj. Centered into a 2.75 inch group. That is at 15 yards.
Masaad Ayoob got his best group ever( SIG Pistols) with a Sig P227 , using Nosler match 230 gr. JHP (3/4 inch 5 shot group). Some may doubt both stories, but I know them to be truth.

I wanted some changes , to my basic P227 , but why? I dry fired my pistol, to where the trigger is light and smooth , & I am used to it. "I know that gun, & I like it, a lot".

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSP is dropping the 227 for a 320 in 9mm in the near future. There may be a bunch of lightly used ones with a department patch laser engraved on them shortly.

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
PSP is dropping the 227 for a 320 in 9mm in the near future. There may be a bunch of lightly used ones with a department patch laser engraved on them shortly.

Please post when you see then come out.

UPATE: Answered my own question - expired but looks like it started back in 2018:

https://www.armslist.com/posts...-state-police-marked

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hack Prine:
.....Can't find to much on line about high round counts and how they are holding up. Negatives  with the 227 as far as functioning?......

Don't own one but:

1) All of the Sig classic P-series share the same basic design. My P229 .40 has over 47,000 rounds through it. No problems in functioning or reliability. None of my other classics have ever had a problem. P227 shouldn't be any different.

2) A number of years ago the PA State Police transitioned to P227's (10 rd mags). One trooper shot with our LGC defensive shooting group. He shot the gun VERY well. Had no malfunctions, except for the 14 rd mags he and other troopers had bought themselves.

Welcome to the forum. Go for it!

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for welcome and the info to all who posted.
I ordered a 227 today and should have it some time next week.
Stay safe and thanks again .

Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned one for the past 5 years. The all metal frame absorbs the recoil of the .45 easily, the pistol reacquires rapidly, and though the grip is perceptibly thicker the P220’s, if you shoot an M9/92F, it’ll fit just fine. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post