SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Selling Guns on consignment during current shortage.,
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling Guns on consignment during current shortage., Login/Join 
posted
With dealers shelves empty and supply sources dried up,it would seem this is a good time to sell guns on consignment. Most of the dealers charge 20% commission which allows profit without cash outlay. The dealer certainly earns that 20%, but just having guns to sell is a spin-off benefit. Do you think gun shops consider consignment sales worth their time?

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES. The ones I've used only charged 10%. But my guess is 20% consignment fee is as much as they would make in profit selling a new gun and they don't have any money tied up into it. Stores that have a lot of used guns also attract people to stores to look, because you never know what you're going to find.

I would think the only thing that would make a dealer unhappy is if the seller had unrealistic expectations on their value and asked the shop to sell them for an unrealistic number and they'd just sit there taking up space for a year.

I've also found that generally a dealer will be able to sell the gun for 10% more or so than I would as an individual. People that go into the stores, some are willing to pay more because they can inspect it, it's easy, they're not paying a transfer fee if they order one online, etc. Plus you don't have any hassle as a seller.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My LGS/FFL charges me 10%.

There are some excellent sellers on GB that take consignments. The two that come to mind are Eatswoods Arms (10%) and Keystone Arms (15%). Their presentations for consignees' guns are superb.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
My local one charge a 12% fee for in-store and 20% if you wanted it on GunBroker. Got rid of 2 custom Glocks that didn't quite fit me and one 19 sized gun I built out of spare parts.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
20% is a lot more than they make on new guns.

I had a couple shotguns I've been meaning to sell and a buddy's shop was low on "weapons", I had the idea of dropping them off to sell. But the county mandates they hold them for 30 days first. I figured the covid panic would be over by then and didn't bother. Of course the second wave of "unrest" panic hit and I'm kicking myself.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The shop that I’ve used for the purpose made it clear they were happy to get the guns I consigned there early in the COVID-19 crisis and spike in demand. They get 15% which I consider reasonable, but not the 20% that I’ve encountered elsewhere.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I have a local dealer that will sell for 10% (minimum $50) and I take my guns there. In my state I could sell to an individual that lives here, and have in the past, but now I would rather pay a dealer to do it. A few years ago I just got tired of the hassle of placing an ad, answering all the questions, etc.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What is Gunbroker's commission? Or put them on the classified here. DIY and keep more money? Yes, I know it's more work.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
10% or $50 min is what I have seen in the past.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What is Gunbroker's commission? Or put them on the classified here. DIY and keep more money? Yes, I know it's more work.

GB's commission is the seller's fee, what they call it the Final Value Fee.

- Multiply the first $250 of the final price by 6%. If your item sold for $250 or less this is your Final Value Fee.
- If the final price is more than $250, take the additional amount over $250 and multiply it by 3.5%.
- Add up these amounts and that is your Final Value Fee.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should always consider posting on here, too. Members here are usually pretty fair in what they will pay for good guns. Shipping to an FFL via ShipMyGun often significantly cuts the cost of shipping.

I'm also always looking for used guns.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consignment sales are no brainers for gun shop owners. They get inventory with zero investment.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Now is a good time to get rid of any "dogs" from your collection.

For example, the COVID/Looter panic was just what many dealers needed to dump their .40 guns.

20% is pretty standard in these parts for consignments. But if you're not going to shoot it, you might as well get something back for it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I just dropped off a consignment gun at my dealer today. I would have loved to roll the money into a different gun, but they have no idea when they would be able to get what I wanted. So I made a deal to get an optic on my list and told him to keep anything over his consignment percentage. It should work out in his favor, but he has always taken great care of me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dking271,

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good topic as I was thinking of selling a few that way.

One question I have is what if the buyer claims there is a problem with a firearm he bought on consignment? Does the gun store give them your contact info or how does that work?

Thanks

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
One question I have is what if the buyer claims there is a problem with a firearm he bought on consignment?

It’s normally store policy.
I have seen some policies state “As is,” and out the door ends anyone else’s responsibility.
Another store (long ago) offered a 30-day warranty and the consigner didn’t get paid until that period was over.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consignment is significantly more profitable than a direct sale. We even have AR 15 manufacturers that sell their guns thru us on consignment. They're pretty high end, but we're certified in their product, so they ship us a bunch and we sell them off. Recently they even sent us a very cool AR pistol finished in a "Chameleon" green and gold, and a red-finished 3 gun competition model. The pistol sold in a week. I'm eyeballing the rifle myself, or perhaps a black version of it. And yes, I will be helping with their inventory by consigning a few of mine.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW, be darn sure you check out and vet the place to do the consignment with.

There have been more than a few horror stories about a shop either going out of business, or just flat out refusing to communicate with the gun owner, and you lose your firearm and you lose any money you should have received.

Bad apples, they're out there, beware.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
One question I have is what if the buyer claims there is a problem with a firearm he bought on consignment?

It’s normally store policy.
I have seen some policies state “As is,” and out the door ends anyone else’s responsibility.
Another store (long ago) offered a 30-day warranty and the consigner didn’t get paid until that period was over.

Thanks for that info, very helpful. Smile

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
An acquaintance recently sold a small estate collection through a local gun shop that traditionally did a 20% commission. He brought thrm in and told them he'd do 10% no more.....they jumped on it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post