SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is this a factory 357 barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a factory 357 barrel Login/Join 
posted
Got this in trade with a 229 SAS, was told it was from a P229 sport, wasmt aware they came with non ported barrels. Can anyone identify this barrel? It is brand new and unfired. Appears to be stainless. Any help is appreciated.

Not all who wander are lost.

Posts: 474 | Location: Old Dominion | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket. Looks perfectly clean, like it has never seen the inside of the slide.

If it came from a Sport, then it would have the German proof marks and serial number. Since you mentioned neither, it stands to reason that it doesn't have them.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Any other markings on it?

I've seen aftermarket barrels and most have their name/logo engraved somewhere. BarSto, Jarvis, Storm Lake, EFK, LW, etc. Haven't seen any blanks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only marking is caliber, I've spent the last week looking all over trying to figure it out. Font is the same as my other factory 357 barrel minus the Sig below the caliber. Everything aftermarket that ive found is marked with the mfg.. It has me stumped honestly.

Posts: 474 | Location: Old Dominion | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The seller probably meant it was from a P229 Sport Stock

All of the P229 Sport barrels would be threaded.

It could be a cut down P229 Sport barrel

Tonight I will pull P229s out and look at the barrel markings.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Having never owned one I could well be wrong, but didn't the Sport Stock line use heavy barrels?

OP, you might want to measure the barrel wall thickness.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
A stock sport (P229SL) barrel is heavier and would have a recessed target crown and SIG SAUER stamped on the side opposite the s/n.

If it was purchased after the P229SL was, it wouldn't have a s/n on it. Only the original barrel that came with the pistol is serialized.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
With the P226 family of firearms the standard barrel was 13.5 mm in diameter and the sport and sport stock barrels were 15 more minutes in diameter so yes they were a heavy barrel in that model

With the T2 to 0 family of firearms both the standard models stock sports doc and sport we're all 15 mm in diameter so there was not a heavy barrel in that version of the sport pistols

I am not positive if the P229 family used to different barrel diameters between the standard versions and the sport horse Ward stock pistols. I will pull out some of my own firearms and measure them to night when I returned to the house

And I apologize for any typos I'm using voice to text to send this

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Whew...glad to read this last line cuz you done lost me with that post. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Whew...glad to read this last line cuz you done lost me with that post. Wink
The 2nd paragraph was in reference to the P220 family of firearms

The standard barrels and the match barrels for the sport pistols were all 15 mm in diameter

This message has been edited. Last edited by: colt_saa,

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Paragraph 3 should have stated that I do not know if the P229 used different diameter barrels between the sport and the standard offerings. I will take some of my P229 out when I return to the house to see you mean and check

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you read a post at a stop light and reply while you're driving using the talk to text function

Sorry

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
A stock sport (P229SL) barrel is heavier and would have a recessed target crown and SIG SAUER stamped on the side opposite the s/n.

If it was purchased after the P229SL was, it wouldn't have a s/n on it. Only the original barrel that came with the pistol is serialized.

I just checked my two 229 sport pistols. Neither has a s/n on the barrel.

The sport barrel measures .589" in diameter and a standard barrel measures .550" in diameter.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im thinking its aftermarket sadly, it was represented as a factory barrel. The crown is flat, the crown on my factory barrel looks different. I guess at this point id be happy to know the maker. My calipers are in my storage god only knows where exactly so i cant measure outside diameter accurately. I'm honestly a bit bummed it isn't factory, oh well.