SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol mounted light recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol mounted light recommendations Login/Join 
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately every model is a compromise so you have to weigh the features out and decide what you can live with.

The newest X300s are bighter and have great throw, they've also grown in size over the years and have moved to a minimal tool needed screw down cross bar rather than quick disconnect spring mounts. I do prefer these controls though, push straight in for momentary and up/down on the rocker in either direction for constant.

The XC1 is "only" 200 lumen and does have a broad spill type of throw. But for its intended use it illuminates just fine. It uses a screw type cross bar that requires a tool, small standard screwdriver. With this and the nature of the P320 I mounted it on a frame with blue loctite and after putting enough rounds through it to convince me it will stay snugly mounted I change the grip shell based on my light requirements rather than remove the XC1. The single AAA battery gives pretty good run time and front loads so removal from the gun for change is not necessary. Also Surefire changed the control layout on the XC1. Now the rear toggles aren't toggles anymore, they're spring loaded buttons that must be pushed downward for momentary and constant is a crossbar further up on the body. Didn't like having to retrain my fingers but it's a light that will suit my needs in a small enough package that I will actually carry.

I have limited experience with the Steamlight offerings. At an old job we were issued TLR1s and had issues with battery covers breaking and mounting issues. I think both of these issues were user induced not necessarily quality of the product, but they were issues none the less. My biggest complaint with Steamlight is the activation, the rocker does both momentary and constant depending on which way you move it. Don't recall off the top of my head which way did what but being a lefty I remember wishing it was opposite of what it is. I did pick up one of the TLRHL units that were on sale recently to give them another look. It about the size of older Surefire X200/X300 units, nice output in a slightly shorter package but still two side by side CR123 batteries. I wish it sat further back on the rail for easier reach, relearning the switch isn't a deal beaker but having to make big changes to my grip is. With the reach issue and the activation set up it went on a long gun.

If you ever get up to NoVA let me know and you can paw a few different set ups to help your decision.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
But keep in mind my go to hd gun is an sbr with a scout light.

Is your 320 the full size or compact? What do you normally carry that you could possibly set the 320 as strictly hd and opt for a x300 series and leave it be and not be bothered with the bulk as a carry gun?

You brought up a point I had not considered yet. I have several AR pistols, of which, I could set up one for hd. That would mean I would need to pick up two lights.

I have a 320RX compact which I was planning on using for hd and could use as carry, if pressed. My EDC is a 320sc though.

ceptor- you have mail.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having both the TLR-1HL and X300u, I prefer the Surefire X300u. I sold my TLR-1HL, have a x300u on my 92a1 and my P30L. Going to put one on my P226ee also. The TLR1hl is SUPER bright, but the X300u seems to "focus" the light stream better. Both are top notch quality, well built.

Posts: 72 | Registered: January 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My opinion of WML is-

1- Surefire X300U
2- Everything else.

The original TLR-1s that we bought 9 years ago, are failing at a spectacular rate. So much so that it left a bad taste in my mouth. We have replaced them with the HL models there and there and man they are bright. We don't have any of those with enough age on them to see if they will fail. Streamlight also hasn't been real great to work with on customer service issues. They remind me a lot of Taser. "Oh yeah, that's your problem? Solution? Buy a new one". I'm also not super hunky dory about the strobe function. I'm not real big ever on gigging a technique or piece of gear on what the untrained do, but damn, if the strobe function didn't exist it would certainly make my life a whole lot easier.

I tried to get all of our lights replaced with X300U's, but got shot down because of cost.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For a carry pistol, I have use Viridian C5L, X5L, Surefire X300, X300U, and XC1.

For my body / carry setup, the X300s are just too long. When I sit they hit the seat and can unclip the holster from my belt. Doable, but annoying.

C5L is great on small PPS / P2000SK pistols, but not very bright.

XC1 isn't perfect (controls) but until recently the best / only option for a G19 that was flush to the front of the pistol. Obviously the APL-C is new and in that category, but the XC1 has been great for me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
I'll also throw in, surefires customer service has been top notch to me. Lost all of the adapter plates for a x300 one time and called and asked if I could order them since it was my fault. They just sent me a complete set of everything that ships with the light.

Yup. I over tightend an X300U screw and snapped it, they sent a free one to replace my stupidity, no questions asked.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I put an InForce APL on my P320 full-size. I like it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
x300 with a pressure switch. My setup will work on any full size Glock, I believe. Currently on a G34.4 but I have verified that it'll fit perfectly on my G21SF.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For a carry pistol, I have use Viridian C5L, X5L, Surefire X300, X300U, and XC1.

For my body / carry setup, the X300s are just too long. When I sit they hit the seat and can unclip the holster from my belt. Doable, but annoying.

C5L is great on small PPS / P2000SK pistols, but not very bright.

XC1 isn't perfect (controls) but until recently the best / only option for a G19 that was flush to the front of the pistol. Obviously the APL-C is new and in that category, but the XC1 has been great for me.

On my CZ P09 its a Streamlight TLR-1, on my PPS its a Viridian C5. ( no laser).

The C5 is not a stong light and focused, but more like a flood, but is small enough to carry in a WML holster easily.

The Viridian C5 is also very battery dependent, to get the full brillance, a fresh battery is needed.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
To me the Surefire is the standard by which I judge others, I will say my TLR1 has held up quite well and is a great buy overall IMHO.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say the Streamlight is a better value, and the Surefire is a better light. I've used four or five TLR-1's over the years, and have only had one fail. (That was just recently, a TLR-1s with about four years of use on it...don't know yet what caused the failure.)

Current ones I'm using on different work guns are TLR-1s and TLR-HL. The latter is bright and still offers a strobe feature if that's your thing.

With the same amount of money for one Surefire, you can have two Streamlights: one for wear and one for spare.

As stated above, the Streamlight is not as lefty-friendly.

I'd trust my life to either, and do. If your budget only allows the Streamlight, it's a good light. If it allows either, I wouldn't say it's an automatic vote for Surefire. I like them both.

In other words, I probably didn't help with your decision at all!

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
The C5 is not a stong light and focused, but more like a flood, but is small enough to carry in a WML holster easily.

The Viridian C5 is also very battery dependent, to get the full brillance, a fresh battery is needed.
I'll add that I think a C5/C5L is perfectly fine for a civilian CCW light. It easily illuminates out to 10m with enough light to see a target and is small for those subcompact pistols.

When I carried it regularly, I put a new battery in on the first of the month. I tried it on my G19, but unfortunately the Glock rail and setup of the C5L didn't mesh well - it attached, but there was always some movement to the light. I could probably get a new adaptor for the C5L, but I just went to the XC1 and left the C5L for the PPS.

posted Hide Post
I like the Surefire X300U. Yes, it's a large light, but I find it carryable on my G19.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
After more deliberation, I ordered a TLR-1 HL.

Thanks for all the input!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me I have x300, tlr-1 HLs and Inforce APLc, for home the Tlr or x300 will suit you well. For carry the APLc really shines it blows away the XC-1 as far as light output. Time will tell if the APLc holds up but so far I love it and it's interface

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little follow up info on your choice to run TLR-1 HL

https://youtu.be/PY7gEjQdJQ8

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Good demonstrations! Thanks, Gundawg!

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I prefer the switch on the Streamlight TLR-1, over the Surefire X300. I prefer that switch so much that despite being issued the X300, I bought a TLR-1 to replace it.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post