SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol mounted light recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol mounted light recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted
I did several searches for past posts, but didn't turn up anything.

I have a P320 in 9mm. This pistol w/ light would be used as a nightstand pistol. For now, I don't have any plans to use the combo as a carry weapon, but you never know what mat happen in the future. What would you all recommend mounting on my pistol?

Thanks!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surefire for premium, Streamlight if you can't get or, afford Surefire or, Inforce if the first two are out of your price range. Anything else will not hold-up.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
For strict nightstand Surefire X300. For carry the Surefire XC1 is a better option due to its size making it easier and more likely to be carried. The Inforce APLC just came out and looks like a good size for viable CC.

300 Ultra vs XC1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ceptor781,

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stream light tlr1

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a Surefire X300 Ultra on my 92A1 for nightstand duty. It's a big light, but then it's a big gun. Pleased with the performance but I have white walls in the house and it can wash you out. When I get the spare cash I want to try an XC1, maybe on my G19.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Make sure the light "fits" your frame. I have the SigTAC light + laser that works, but on the P320 Compact frame it protrudes like a clown's nose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Streamlight TLR-1 HL

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Surefire sets the standard IMO.

You should pay attention to the fact that Surefire has two different systems for attaching the light to the rail.

model 300U-A: Rail lock mount

Model 300U-B: T slot mount

Surefire weaponlight

If you go with Surefire, get the Rail Lock Mount. It is far more secure.

The T slot mount utilizes a thumbscrew to fasten the light to the rail. It loosens regularly under recoil. I have both systems, and would never get the T slot mount again.

I also recommend the use of a grip switch. Far easier to utilize the light by squeezing the grip switch than using your offhand to switch the light on.

Grip switch

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streamlight TLR1-HL. Price and performance are just about right.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Stream light tlr1

Price vs performance is hard to beat.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
P320 Full size (with 21round mag) and a surefire X300 ultra:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Streamlight TLR-1 is an outstanding light for $100. Sometimes you will find them around $85-$90. They've been on the market for a shade over ten years and have been improved several times. The HL is nice, too, but I've never felt that the higher output was necessary. The Surefire X300 series are outstanding lights, and I slightly prefer them, but there is a 100%+ price premium on them. For a nightstand gun, the size isn't really an issue. For a concealed gun, though, they can be chunky, and I would look at the XC1. The XC1 costs a fortune, but it's the ultimate concealable weapon light. The beam pattern on the XC1 is also a totally different concept, so that's a consideration as well.

Somebody mentioned Inforce, but in my experience they have a single switch that you tap multiple times to change outputs and modes. Switching like that is a really poor option for a weapon light. The Blackhawk lights my agency used to use switched this way and they were a constant training problem because of it.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:

ceptor is that a carry or full size grip?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
They're both compact(same slide length as carry, carry takes fullsize mags), different grip girths though. 300 is on a large and XC1 is medium.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ceptor! Between your comparison pic and the XC1 taking AAA batteries, I'm strongly leaning toward the XC1.

I have a habit of buying what looks the best at the moment and not looking at possibilities farther down the road. I'm trying to avoid that mistake, this time around.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
For those that have 200 lumen lights, if you used it for carry, what is the maximum distance you could clearly identify if a target is a threat?

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Streamlight TLR works for me. As far as target illumination goes, mine does a fine job for what I consider a realistic distance at night:
15 yards.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I have a Streamlight TLR-3 on my G30, a TLR-1 HL on my FAL and love them both. Excellent lights for the price.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
For those that have 200 lumen lights, if you used it for carry, what is the maximum distance you could clearly identify if a target is a threat?

I have quite a few surefire lights on pistols and rifles. My carry gun has an xc1 which us 200 lumens. Its not the lumens that kills the distance its the beam. The xc1 is all flood and no throw. With that in mind 35 yards or so. It could go further to identify a threat in my eyes, maybe out to 50 yards, but thats pushing it. For what it was designed for it works great, but I do hate the mount system, the fact it takes a aaa battery (everything else I have is 123), and the paddle switch is so so. But I'm used to the x300 series on a pistol so keep that in mind.

For carbines I like scout lights, for hd pistols the x300 line, and for carry the xc1. If I had to choose for a pistol alone I'd go xc1. But keep in mind my go to hd gun is an sbr with a scout light.

Just shoot the shit out of it first. There were some early issues with them not turning on right away. Mine had this issue and seemed to self correct and hasnt happened since that first month of owning it.

Is your 320 the full size or compact? What do you normally carry that you could possibly set the 320 as strictly hd and opt for a x300 series and leave it be and not be bothered with the bulk as a carry gun?

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'll also throw in, surefires customer service has been top notch to me. Lost all of the adapter plates for a x300 one time and called and asked if I could order them since it was my fault. They just sent me a complete set of everything that ships with the light.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post