SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365...still haven't found a replacement for my G26.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365...still haven't found a replacement for my G26. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
Let me start out by saying that I'm not a Glock fanboy. In fact, if anything, I'm a Sig fanboy. In my moderately sized collection, there are several Sigs, and only one Glock. There's just something about going into the gun store and looking at a shelf full of the same plastic gun in various barrel lengths and bore sizes that doesn't inspire me to whip out my wallet like a nice stainless revolver or classic P-Series.

That said, my lone Glock, a Gen 3 G26 with trijicon night sights, is the gun I carry anywhere and everywhere. It's my on-duty backup and off-duty carry piece, and I've gone up against armed subjects with only it and not felt any less confident than if I'd been holding my duty gun. Every time I shoot it, I wonder why I don't own more of them.

I got the P365 a little over a month ago. It's department issued, and I was excited when I heard we were getting them, because I love my P320 and figured it would be a smaller version of the same. Reliability wise, there were a few failure to return to battery issues the first time I shot the P365, but I chocked those up to break-in, and I haven't had any further issues after the first hundred rounds or so. I really like the sights, too...that big green front dot is really easy to acquire quickly. The trigger reach is acceptable, too, which is often a problem for me on small autos. The trigger pull is not great...far more mushy and stacky than my P320. It's pretty similar to my G26 trigger, but I think it stacks more. The grip is a bit too small for comfort...it kinda gets lost in my palm...but it's not as bad as an LCP or P3AT.

The thing that kills the P365 for me is the trigger guard design. That angle that they put in it to reduce the footprint at the front by about 1/4 inch or so pinches the HELL out of my trigger finger when firing it (no issues when dry firing). No matter what I do, I can't seem to get around this...I think what is happening is the undersized grip prevents me from getting a firm grip on the gun and the recoil is slapping that stupid trigger guard into the side of my finger. Today I even tried consciously pushing my trigger finger up into the bottom of the frame while pulling the trigger, and I still got pinched. And it's not just a little pinch, either. After about 20 rounds today I decided I was done. I'd rather shoot a scandium J-frame with full-house .357 loads than this thing. If I didn't already have a flinch, the P365 would definitely give me one.

Looking at it logically, the P365 doesn't do much of anything that my G26 doesn't do. Capacity is the same. Sure it is a bit smaller, but it still prints in my pocket, and when fully loaded actually weighs in pretty close to the G26, so it still causes your clothing to sag. As such, I'll probably be IWB carrying it, and that pretty much negates any advantage of the smaller gun. The grip on the G26 is actually easier to get ahold of during an IWB draw.

I'm 6'5" 235, so I'm a big guy, with pretty big hands. I've done plenty of wrenching over the years and have the busted knuckles, calouses, and scars to show for it, so it's not that my hands are overly soft or sensitive. They may be kinda oddly-sized...I'm one of the few people I've met who actually likes the Glock finger-grooves, so take that for what it's worth. Or it may just be that the P365 is designed for millenials with tiny, manicured, pajama-boy hands. Whatever it is, the dang thing doesn't work for me. It's so bad that they gave me one for free and I'm wondering if I should give it back.

Anybody have any ideas to get me over the trigger-finger pinching issue?

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
So you're getting it on recoil/trigger reset to the front/side of your finger?

I have extra large hands, according to whenever I go shopping for gloves. I have handled the P365, but not shot it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I swore I would never shoot, much less carry mine, with the extended 10 round mag. It shifted in my hand more than I cared for. I don't have the shift with the 12 round mag and factory grip.

I have added a Hogue Handall jr. sleeve to my 365. It fills my hand better than the factory grip alone.

A few days ago I took it shooting and didn't want to unload my 12 round mag, I was being lazy. I shot it using the extended 10 round mag, and to my surprise, the pistol didn't shift in my hand. I put 5 full mags through it and didn't need to adjust my grip. The Hogue sleeve made a big difference for me. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it now with the 10 round extended mag.

Would it possibly make enough of a difference for you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You may have to live with the finger pinching as one size doesn’t fit all. Thanks for sharing your observations on the P365. While at my LGS last night, saw another of their clients dropping off a P365 going back to Sig for some fix? I just upgraded my G26 mags with the Hyve +2’s. I like what they’ve added to grip purchase to the G26, not that without is a problem. I do Plan on running some rounds through between tomorrow and the weekend to verify reliability of the extensions. The G26 is a tough gun to beat and carries very well.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
So you're getting it on recoil/trigger reset to the front/side of your finger?

I have extra large hands, according to whenever I go shopping for gloves. I have handled the P365, but not shot it.

Correct. I also wear an XL glove.

quote:
I have added a Hogue Handall jr. sleeve to my 365. It fills my hand better than the factory grip alone.

This is a good idea...and not terribly expensive to try. I may need to give it a shot. I want to like the gun, I really do. It just isn't working for me as-is.

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife is 5'1" tall, but she has long "piano playing" type fingers. Her EDC gun since 2005 has been a Gen 3 Glock 26. Her favorite gun that she has owned (and she has owned more than a few over the years) was a Para Ord P14, she loved how the grip fit her hands...

with that said, whenever she handles one of the smaller single stack guns she just hates them - to small for her. When she handled the P365 at the LGS her words were... yep another little gun.

OP, you might just be stuck with the Glock 26... but then, that's not a bad problem at all Wink Wink Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
OP, you might just be stuck with the Glock 26... but then, that's not a bad problem at all

You're absolutely right about that! It works well, and I have yet to encounter anything better. Honestly, the only time it doesn't work for me is running in athletic shorts, and I have a scandium J-Frame for that.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

. Or it may just be that the P365 is designed for millenials with tiny, manicured, pajama-boy hands. Whatever it is, the dang thing doesn't work for me. It's so bad that they gave me one for free and I'm wondering if I should give it back.

Anybody have any ideas to get me over the trigger-finger pinching issue?

Seriously ?? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

by all means give it back. I have xl hands and have no issues with finger pinching.

the 365 has worked perfect for me, Yes a few people in the teething stages had some issues with them but I think that's been corrected now.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I don't think he's serious, but if both you guys have XL hands, is one of your girlfriends a liar? Big Grin

People come in lots of sizes, and perhaps there is more to it. I'd like to learn before I buy, and I'll shoot one first if I can.

Simply finger fucking it, it feels ideal.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I don't think he's serious, but if both you guys have XL hands, is one of your girlfriends a liar? Big Grin

People come in lots of sizes, and perhaps there is more to it. I'd like to learn before I buy, and I'll shoot one first if I can.

Simply finger fucking it, it feels ideal.

It was tongue-in-cheek...just a little literary hyperbole venting my frustration with a gun that I really wanted to like that ended up not working out. My intent was not to offend anyone, and if my post did so I apologise.

Arc, I had the same experience as you...gun feels really good in the hand when handling and dry-firing. I love the grip texture and the mag with the pinky extension FEELS like a good length. It's only when actually firing the gun that I've had any problems. I'm excited to try the hogue suggestion mentioned above...maybe that will resolve my issues.

Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with the Glock 43. I went from a G27 to the G43. I have medium sized hands and I just never felt like I could stabilize the gun grip on the G43. It was screwing up my accuracy as well. Just before I was ready to ditch the gun I tried a Hogue sleeve. It fixed the issues I was having.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have freakishly small hands, which is why I love the HK P30 and P30sk. I can control everything on those without having to shift my grip.

Glad some others are feeling the pain of oddly sized hands.

So far, I've had no issues with the P365 from a hand sizing perspective, other than the fact that the diminutive slide/dustover combo seems to increase the odds of my high thumbs-forward grip interfering with slide movement.

As for your G26, that is a hard one to beat. I used to have one and I do miss it. It was slim enough for in waistband, short enough to never print, and as reliable as my G19. The bonus was it could take G19 and G17 mags as backup.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
I had a similar issue with the Glock 43. I went from a G27 to the G43. I have medium sized hands and I just never felt like I could stabilize the gun grip on the G43. It was screwing up my accuracy as well. Just before I was ready to ditch the gun I tried a Hogue sleeve. It fixed the issues I was having.
Pretty much the same for me on all small semis. I have regular medium hands but the Handall Jr trimmed to size for the G43 works wonders - on the G42 the purpose built Hogue Glock sleeve works well but it made the G43 too big, so I went with the thinner Handall Jr on it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my Kahr CM9 and I had it with a Nano before that. I have medium to large hands. When at the range, I just put a Band-Aid on my trigger finger, that solves the problem for me. The Kahr is a pocket gun, so I don't really want any rubber on the grip. You might want to try the Band-Aid. The stretchy kind work the best.

Posts: 353 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I have a trigger issue with it, but mine is that the bottom of the curve in the trigger gives me a blister on the first knuckle of my trigger finger during extended (~300rd) sessions. I'm assuming it's a matter of where my hand rides relative to the trigger on that frame, as I don't have that problem with larger P-series. I want to try a flat trigger to see if it would help, if/when they become available.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up another G26. Great pistol.

Thus far, no issues with the P365. My daughter saw one of mine a couple of weeks ago, and wants one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the life of me I can’t quite visualize or understand how or by what the described pinch is occurring- not denying it bothers the original poster by any means just trying for a better understanding.
I am on the opposite spectrum with smaller sized hands and for me I have issues with reach and comfort on triggers.
Never experienced hammer or slide bite despite decades of use of notorious biters like GI configuration 45’s and glocks and even such noted biters as walther pp/ppk and even a TPH
I also feel long triggers on a 1911 are an abomination.
Explain this pinch thing? Can’t quite understand

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have medium-large size hands. I don't experience any issues with the trigger pinching me but I still like the Glock 26 better overall. My P365 has been completely reliable. I'm probably up to around 900 rounds now. I stopped counting. I just can't seem to shoot it that well compared to any of my smaller guns. I still hit the target just fine but not with the same accuracy as the others. I shoot it about as well as I do a J-Frame revolver or Kahr PM9, which isn't bad but not nearly as good as the G26, G43 or Shield. It's something to do with the small grip. The G26 is just as easy for me to carry IWB. I don't notice the extra thickness. Honestly, if I want to carry 10 rounds, I'd still carry the G26.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Update: I tried out a Hogue Handall Jr. as suggested above. I figured for less than $10, I didn't have much to lose. It adds only a tiny amount of girth to the grip, but it's enough to significantly improve grip purchase. It almost completely eliminated the pinch and I had no soreness after 50 rounds, whereas before it was quite painful after 10 and I was done at 20. I was knocking down 6" plates at 20 yards pretty quickly and consistently with it. Thanks 10-7 leo, your suggestion made an unshootable gun usable for me.

posted Hide Post
The P365 comes with a flush 10 round mag, a finger rest 10 round mag, and a 12 round mag with more purchase on the baseplate. At first I found the minimal length mag too short, with less control of the pistol. After shooting the P365 a bit, I found the magazine length doesn't seem to matter much. The 10 round finger rest magazine seems a good compromise.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post