SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger MKIV Lite 22/45 with Volquartsen,TandemKross and now C-More 8MOA!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKIV Lite 22/45 with Volquartsen,TandemKross and now C-More 8MOA! Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I put my parts on today and took it to the range, big difference. My range is indoor so the factory sights were a problem for me. I put the pro comp (SS) on, the victory trigger and the Williams sights. I'm going to order that accurizing kit! I measured the trigger pull at 5.5. I too like a little weight on the barrel.

in case your wondering, it's discolored slightly at the range after 100 rounds.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My comp has quite a bit of buildup after several hundred rounds. If I did it again, I’d get the stainless comp so I could scrub it more.

As I mentioned, one of the big reasons to get the Volquartsen kit is to eliminate the magazine disconnect safety. The trigger pull is nice thought.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice discussion. I have taken another look at the Ruger MK series pistols with the introduction of the MKIV so much I'm thinking I'll divest a couple of Buckmarks and move to the MKIV. Like the controls layout and of course the easier disassembly. Always thought the Buckmarks were a little fragile and full of plastic than need be for the internals.

While I like the 4 inch threaded model, I don't particularly like the perforated light weight barrel shroud and pictinny rail. The tactical model with it's bull barrel configuration I do like.

Does anyone know if the picatinny rail for either models are removable and if so, are there screws or plugs provided to cover the threaded inserts?

TR

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Rat:
Nice discussion. I have taken another look at the Ruger MK series pistols with the introduction of the MKIV so much I'm thinking I'll divest a couple of Buckmarks and move to the MKIV. Like the controls layout and of course the easier disassembly. Always thought the Buckmarks were a little fragile and full of plastic than need be for the internals.

While I like the 4 inch threaded model, I don't particularly like the perforated light weight barrel shroud and pictinny rail. The tactical model with it's bull barrel configuration I do like.

Does anyone know if the picatinny rail for either models are removable and if so, are there screws or plugs provided to cover the threaded inserts?

TR

I pulled the rail off of mine, there are 33 holes left in the shroud. You could either put hex head screws in or set screws locktighted in I suppose.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks.

TR

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volquartsen "fixed" Ruger's thumb-safety recall when Volquartsen kit has been installed. Huge savings over having to remove V's parts, reinstall R's parts, send to R, get back, reinstall V's parts. Great company. . . . and the resulting trigger is delightful for Small Bore - measured close to 2.4 pounds-force for a couple 22/45 Lite pistols.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Question for you guys. I've owned a bunch of 22 Semi Auto's...... Many Buckmarks, Sig Trailside, Mark 3, in addition to many 22 revolvers.... Ruger Single Sixes (both Old and New models). All of those guns had the occassional misfire..... just the nature of 22 ammo I know....

With this Mark 4 Lite I have had a ton of misfires. Today at the range I easily had 4 out of 10 in every mag misfire. Now I had alot of misfires before I installed my Volquartsen kit so its not from the lighter hammer spring that the Volquartsen includes. I thought it might be ammo related but its pretty consistent with 4 out of 10 in every mag no matter the ammo. Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match had the least misfires at an average of 1 or 2 out of every mag. gun is cleaned very well after every range trip, not overly lubed nothing near the firing pin.... just the outside of the bolt rubbed with a little EWL or FP10. and a little on the hammer and sear surfaces and disconnector. I'm wondering if the Volquartsen or TandemKross firing pin might help or if I should just stick all the original Ruger parts back in it and send it back to Ruger to check out. I guess what I am asking is if misfires seem to be really commmon in the Mark 4's for some reason ?

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
That’s way to many. Have you tried CCI MiniMags?

Did you change the mainspring? My kit did not include one and is fairly uncommon to change I believe. https://volquartsen.com/produc...e-ruger-mk-iv-pistol

One thing I did on all my .22 guns is to do some light polish on some parts. Strip the bolt down, toatally degrease. Then I’d take the firing pin and some 600grit wet/dry and run the pin along it to polish it up just a touch. Very lightly lube the bolt with Slip2000 gun lube not EWL or anything heavier. Try not to lube the receiver where oil can run in the pin channel.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

After a lot of ammo at the indoor range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fz4vgq:
Question for you guys. I've owned a bunch of 22 Semi Auto's...... Many Buckmarks, Sig Trailside, Mark 3, in addition to many 22 revolvers.... Ruger Single Sixes (both Old and New models). All of those guns had the occassional misfire..... just the nature of 22 ammo I know....

With this Mark 4 Lite I have had a ton of misfires. Today at the range I easily had 4 out of 10 in every mag misfire. Now I had alot of misfires before I installed my Volquartsen kit so its not from the lighter hammer spring that the Volquartsen includes. I thought it might be ammo related but its pretty consistent with 4 out of 10 in every mag no matter the ammo. Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match had the least misfires at an average of 1 or 2 out of every mag. gun is cleaned very well after every range trip, not overly lubed nothing near the firing pin.... just the outside of the bolt rubbed with a little EWL or FP10. and a little on the hammer and sear surfaces and disconnector. I'm wondering if the Volquartsen or TandemKross firing pin might help or if I should just stick all the original Ruger parts back in it and send it back to Ruger to check out. I guess what I am asking is if misfires seem to be really commmon in the Mark 4's for some reason ?

I had a very similar experience, if not worse, with my Mark IV Lite. The gun fired fine when it was stock, but after adding the Volquartsen accurizing kit, TK Victory trigger, and TK "Ledge" safety lever, the gun wouldn't cycle. I sent it to two different gunsmiths and neither of them could figure out why. (I was getting hard primer strikes, it was feeding properly...it just wouldn't go "bang" and cycle the new round when you pulled the trigger.) I ended up replacing the bolt with Volquartsen bolt and now it's 100% reliable. I still don't know why that did the trick (another OEM bolt wouldn't cycle properly either) but I'm happy with it now. YMMV.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Multiple people told me Volquartsen would send me one of their firing pins to fix the misfires. I had placed an order with Tandemkross for their new comp, Victory trigger, extractor and I added their titanium firing pin. Well..... the Tandemkross titanium firing pin fixed the misfires. My son & I shot a brick (500 rounds) of 1998 vintage Winchester PowerPoint through it and had 5 misfires total out of the 500 (1%).

I really like the Tandemkross flat Victory trigger & the Game Changer comp & how it adds weight to my Lite model. The flat trigger improves the already great Volquartsen action kit. I don't like flat triggers on rifles but I love it on this pistol.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that worked for you, I'll file that away for when I add the acurizing kit!

Beth Greene

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Odd. Out of the few issues I’ve had, failure to fire is almost non existent. My gun was already updated or new production with the updated parts when I bought it. Shot it a bunch waiting for the parts to come in then installed the Volquartsen kit and shot the snot out of it.

There for a while I was having fits trying to get it to feed, found a certain ammo that it didn’t like in cooler weather and now no issues. At least no more than any other 22.

I always make sure I’ve backed out the trigger stop screw an extra bit more than strictly necessary to make sure there is no drag and as I mentioned, I’ve done a little polishing on the firing pin just to make sure there were no rough spots.

Tolerance stacking maybe.

posted Hide Post
Looks great! A good, cheap training session always include the Ruger.

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. Now with C-More!