SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trijicon RMR shooting - Yes or No
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR shooting - Yes or No Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm seriously considering a G19 MOS/RMR gun. Can anyone explain the different models, advantages disadvantages and the concept as a whole? Once you mounted an RMR did you abandon standard sights?

I've figured out I probably want a Type 2 as they were designed for pistol shooting. I've been told the RMR 6 has a sleep/wake when you move the gun mode, which seems smart, but I've been unable to verify that information looking both on the Trijicon and Optics Planet web sight.

Thanks.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong on this but I don’t think the Trijicon has the sleep mode. However, it has an outrageously long battery life (a couple of years or more when on all the time at medium setting). My problem with Trijicon is that the battery goes in at the bottom so to replace the battery you have to remove and then zero it in again. Still with the long life it isn’t much to complain about.
I like the delta point pro. It has shorter battery life but does have the sleep mode. Also the battery is installed from above so you don’t have to zero it in again. Both have easy to spot red dots.
The one thing I didn’t count on is the blowback. After about 20 rounds you need to wipe off the screen.

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these websites.

<http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_RMR.php>

<https://ateiguns.com/>

<http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/c80/Optics_and_Accessories.html>

I would look at the type 2 Adjustable LED with 6.5 MOA red dot.

It will adjust to ambient light after 16.5 hours if the buttons are not pushed..

Has a lockout feature for the adjustment for holster use.

Better battery surface contact than type 1 to remove flicker.

I have seen work done by ATEi, top notch.

PMM is up in NH, does SIG work amongst others..

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
Type 2 has some improvements made to accommodate recoil of pistol, namely redesigned battery contacts. The battery contacts on Type 1 was what caused them to failed. Mine 06 went back to Trijicon once and they fixed it and now its been solid. Of course, buy the latest tech unless you can find a type 1 for a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate.

One more thing, if you send a non MOS slide to get milled, your slide is pretty much married to the particular RMR. Places like ATEi for their pro cut or Jagerwerk, they milled them to the EXACT length of your RMR, and RMRs are not all consistent in its housing dimensions. Keep that in mind.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRJACKET:

The one thing I didn’t count on is the blowback. After about 20 rounds you need to wipe off the screen.
this has not been my experience. I have an RMR on a G19, one on an M&P CORE 9L, and a fastfire II on a 22. All will go thousands of rounds without needing the screen wiped off. I shoot mostly plated reloads with relatively clean powder (WST) so that may have something to do with it.

But even shooting factory I can easily get through a 300-500 round match without needing to touch the screen.

IMO you ignore the sights once you install a red dot. You have to train yourself off the front sight focus and onto a target focus, which is weird at first if you've shot a lot of "front sight, press". But once you are used to it the red dot is undeniably faster.

My RM01 lasted more than 3 years on its first battery. it goes extremely dim/almost off in the dark (when it's cased, etc.).

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more thing, if you send a non MOS slide to get milled, your slide is pretty much married to the particular RMR.

I would not use a provider that had this restriction. I've had to send RMR's back to Trijicon and there is no guarantee I will get the one I sent back and further why would I want the gun down for the time they have it. Further Trijicon might come out with a new one (like the Type 2's) or another format and you want to swap. This is not an issue for an MOS glock, PMM and L&M all of which I have swapped RMR's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the experimentation that I have done with the various RMR's (I have pretty much tried every combination)you want a Type 2 RMR-06 or RMR-07.With the difference being the dot size, the 07 is a bit faster if you are shooting at speed and the 06 is a little better if you want more accuracy at distance. The difference is minor at normal pistol ranges. Normally when you mount an RMR you get suppressor height iron sights so you have a backup sight picture if the dot fails or is otherwise unusable. For a range only gun probably not critical but for serious use required. Like 1KPerDay I have not had an issue with having to wipe off the screen at short intervals. I can do any match without it being a problem and I shoot factory ammo.
I have found the having a dot on a pistol dramatically improved my capabilities after a short learning curve and would highly recommend it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have Type 2 06 and 07 mounted on Glocks. 1 is a 19 MOS and the other is a 34 I had milled for it. They don't have a sleep mode, but re zeroing isn't a problem. I have suppressor height sights as back up to the RMR. I've found that shooting at speed is much easier with the RMR. Also, with my diminishing eyesight I'm better at precise shooting at distance. Once you stop trying to line the dot up with something other than the target, you improve quickly!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Since you're in Georgia, there's a good chance you are in the Atlanta area. We can meet and you can try mine out if you would like. I live near the Glock headquarters!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by BRJACKET:

this has not been my experience. I have an RMR on a G19, one on an M&P CORE 9L, and a fastfire II on a 22. All will go thousands of rounds without needing the screen wiped off. I shoot mostly plated reloads with relatively clean powder (WST) so that may have something to do with it.

But even shooting factory I can easily get through a 300-500 round match without needing to touch the screen.

IMO you ignore the sights once you install a red dot. You have to train yourself off the front sight focus and onto a target focus, which is weird at first if you've shot a lot of "front sight, press". But once you are used to it the red dot is undeniably faster.

My RM01 lasted more than 3 years on its first battery. it goes extremely dim/almost off in the dark (when it's cased, etc.).

Interesting! I am shooting an STI Host with. DPP. I am using Freedom Munitions 124 gr. I didn’t realize how dirty it might be.

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post