SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen. Soleimani’s Sig Model?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen. Soleimani’s Sig Model? Login/Join 
posted
Fox News is showing photographs of General Soleimani’s personal effects obtained by US SpecOps. It appears the General was carrying an Ak variant as well as a classic SigSauer (Browning era?) pistol. Was hoping some of our members could check video around 1:15 mark and opine on which model it is. Serial number is not visible on my computer. Praying for Mideast Peace!

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...aftermath-photos.amp

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet that was a closed casket funeral.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine adding this serial number to our serial-number-by-year page?

quote:
Originally posted by tomday:
Fox News is showing photographs of General Soleimani’s personal effects obtained by US SpecOps. It appears the General was carrying an Ak variant as well as a classic SigSauer (Browning era?) pistol. Was hoping some of our members could check video around 1:15 mark and opine on which model it is. Serial number is not visible on my computer. Praying for Mideast Peace!

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...aftermath-photos.amp

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looks like a P226 from the photos I've seen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. It looked like a 226.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The style of the grip plate in the photo I’ve seen looks just like the ones on some early P226s, not the P220s’.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Sig 226. Bombproof.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xaircav:
I’ll bet that was a closed casket funeral.

I have seen a couple photos and he definitely looked like a lump of raw meat. If you looked close you could make out the distinctive ring.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Agree looks like an old school 226

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
To Hell and Back, they ain’t shitting!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
My money would be on an Iranian copy of the 226

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why can't it just be a Sig 226?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sorry to disappoint. It’s a PC-9 ZOAF. This Iranian pistol was adopted by Iranian forces in 1995, It was built because the only 9mm ammunition produced locally in Iran is 9mm Parabellum. It is based on the P-226 (and is an unlicensed copy of that pistol), though there are some differences to suit Iranian manufacturing methods. Most copies of this weapon were in the hands of Iranian officers of field grade. Stainless steel models were produced for commercial sales, but the normal model was a military one with a matte finish. PC-9s have shown up in the hands of Hamas, Hezbollah, Al Qaida, ISIS, the Taliban and other terrorist groups around the world that are supplied by Iran.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will SIG be coming out with a commemorative with the "Burnt Persian" finish?

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Obviously an older West German Gun. If that was a current production gun, it would have been the reason for the explosion. (Too soon?)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a name like Salami, I wouldn't expect it to be a real SIG.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is it's one tough firearm to survive that bombing and still look that good.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Sorry to disappoint. It’s a PC-9 ZOAF.

It would of course make sense that it was the Iranian copy, but I’m curious if you can know for certain or if it’s an assumption.

Of all people who might want a genuine P226 and could have one, that guy would have been close to the top of the list. In the few photos of the Iranian gun I could find the takedown lever is somewhat different from the two types that have been used in SIG guns, but nothing obvious jumped out at me on the right side.

Anything to add?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One clue is the serial number on the right side of the frame- looks like big white numbers.

Occam's Razor says this should be the PC-9 ZOAF, since that is what this blowed-up commander's troops are issued.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I noted the serial number and wondered if it might have been highlighted even if the gun was a P226. I am curious whether Woof spotted anything else that was distinctive about the Iranian copy.

What fueled my interest is that the grip plate seems to be a very close copy of some P226s’. It seems to me that when someone makes a knock-off of a gun like that small details like grip plate design are the most likely to differ from the originals’.

6.4/93.6

— Plato