SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we like for Earbud style hearing protection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for Earbud style hearing protection Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Bald1, thanks for that info. I'm going to take my Sensgard unit to the range next time I go.

Glad it helped.

No doubt you already know this but for others who may be curious the key to the Sensgard ZEM SG-31 providing full sound reduction is to follow their instructions about putting it on and rotating forward and back to ensure a full seal on your ears. Do that and you'll be good to go even with a 338. Big Grin

The "cuffs" are said to last 80 to 100 hours of use and are cheap to replace. For $25 or so, there's no reason not to give the Sensgard a try.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For shooting I recommend the 31 dB model, after watching the video I linked.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Peltor and Otto Engineering. Both are very good but not up to the standards of say Apple pods - Can't turn off transparency, no bluetooth. The sound engineering design looks great. But they are battery based. As an SRO, you may not want to be changing batteries that often.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a set of Walkers on sale at Midway for $80
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...018342050?pid=638445

Not electronic but the Surefire Sonic Defender line of ear plugs are an affordable alternative.
I have a few sets of the EP10 fully blocked ones rated at 30 NPR.
https://www.surefire.com/produ...defenders-ultra-max/
The EP3 and such have a removable center.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but if you're shooting indoors, a npr closer to 30 is much better. Not sure if Walkers offer a pair at that level. Not sure if it would work to double muff with these when you're inside.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used, and still use, the Peltor amplified ear muffs. This past Christmas my wife gave me a set, actually it was a two for one sale, of Axil ES Extreme ear buds. I put them in and was amazed by how "scratchy" the sound was. I sent them back and received, in a few weeks a refund.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Just my opinion but if you're shooting indoors, a npr closer to 30 is much better. Not sure if Walkers offer a pair at that level. Not sure if it would work to double muff with these when you're inside.

Since you mentioned it, I'll relate my experiences. I wear hearing aids and if I put amplified or non amplified muffs on over them, they go into feedback and won't stop squealing.

Since my Walker silencer earplugs are amplified I thought I'd see if they go into feedback. Put them in, turned them on, then put on my Walker razor muffs over them. No squealing feedback. Good, then I turned on the amplification on the razor muffs. Still no squealing feedback. So I left the combination on for my morning's shooting and it worked well.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post