SIGforum
What do we like for Earbud style hearing protection

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3770058974

February 21, 2021, 08:32 AM
Nick
What do we like for Earbud style hearing protection
I work as an RSO and need to find a solution for hearing protection that is not the over-ear muff type.

I would like a shot cancelling / amplified system like my muff style, but one that can be worn with a brimmed hat. They do not need to be custom molded earbuds, I’ve seen the type that have a connected “neck band,” not sure how to classify them. I need some education so I have a place to start my search.

Price point of under $200 would be great, if that possibility exists.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"
February 21, 2021, 11:10 AM
T.Webb
I'm eagerly watching this thread.

I have a set of E.S.P. analog ear buds. They work great on the Clays course, but aren't enough on an indoor range with magnum rounds. Mine were about $800.00 many years ago.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

February 21, 2021, 04:36 PM
RC
I bought the 3 M Peltor eep-100 ear bud last year
From our industrial safety supplier at work.

Even though they come with multiple style of ear tips. I bought the skull screw tips as an add on because of their increased protection

They worked very well all last season using them in competition or as a safety officer running the shooters.

They are a bright green color which may be a turn off for the fashionable shooter, but the color sure is handy if you drop one or set them down and your looking for them.

They are rechargeable which I liked over my previous ear buds which required batteries.

In the advertising they were marketed for industrial construction use, but they have worked well for my shooting outside.

I would not use these inside because of the concussion from the shooting blast as I prefer a head set for the additional protection.

RC
February 22, 2021, 01:26 PM
filipows
This might be what you are looking for.

I have the plane jane molded units they work great for me.

Don't know what the "digital" option does

https://www.westone.com/store/...Guide2012-LowRes.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I work as an RSO and need to find a solution for hearing protection that is not the over-ear muff type.

I would like a shot cancelling / amplified system like my muff style, but one that can be worn with a brimmed hat. They do not need to be custom molded earbuds, I’ve seen the type that have a connected “neck band,” not sure how to classify them. I need some education so I have a place to start my search.

Price point of under $200 would be great, if that possibility exists.

February 22, 2021, 01:44 PM
Flash-LB
A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of Walkers Silencers to give them a try while shooting skeet/trap/sporting clays. Tried them for a couple of weeks at both the shotgun range and an indoor range I go to and bought a second pair so I'd have them in both range bags. Love them.

I wear hearing aids and these have enough amplification for me to hear others on the range with no problem. Also they use compression so there's no annoying on/off of the sound, just constant volume.

Around $130.00/pair at Amazon and I also bought the aftermarket earphone tips recommended in the video and they definitely work better than the ones that came with the Walkers for me.
February 22, 2021, 03:09 PM
Il Cattivo
^^ Interesting. Reported problems with the tips were what convinced me to hold off on trying them.
February 22, 2021, 05:24 PM
DaBigBR
I have a set of 3M TEP-100s. Same as the EEPs mentioned above but in "tactical" black. They work well and I use them with the skull screw tips as well.
February 22, 2021, 05:55 PM
Quattro15
I use Walkers as well, but the Bluetooth buds that stem out of a collar. They are great!

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake
February 22, 2021, 06:02 PM
sns3guppy
Active noise reduction, especially in an ear plug, may give more illusion of protection than actual protection. While it does produce a sound out of phase with the incoming noise, it produces an illusion by giving a sense of quiet in certain frequency bands. Wear earplug ANR hearing "protection" for a few years and go get tested. See what kind of loss you get. You probably won't sense it happening, but it will happen. You'll just be happier while it's occuring.
February 22, 2021, 08:19 PM
RC
I used the walkers for a couple of years, but did not really like the tips and having to change the battery,

But they were an alternative to the muffs.

I was going to see if the 3 M skull screw tips might fit them , but that idea fell apart when I dropped one of them in a puddle at a match, the electronics no longer work on the one I dropped.

So I just went to the 3M ear bud when ever I wanted the ear bud protection and have not regretted it.

The muffs are still in the bag and get used occasionally, sometimes when it's cold and I want some warmer ear protection or sometimes when I don't want to jam the buds in my ears for a quick range secession.

RC
February 22, 2021, 08:26 PM
FlyingScot
I use walkers with earplugs. I’m losing my hearing and want not chance of adding to that...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb
February 22, 2021, 08:45 PM
dking271
I purchased a set of custom Westone electronic plugs for myself and my son several years ago from an audiologist. They were very pricey at over 2k a set and I do not often wear them at indoor ranges or training classes. While the Westones protect enough I prefer to have the quick ability to pull my Sordin headset on and off quickly.

If you’re dead set on earbuds and willing to spend the money, the Westone customs are really good. Are they worth the money? I guess that’s very subjective and for me I have to protect what I still have left of my hearing.

February 22, 2021, 08:58 PM
hrcjon
as sns3guppy says noise reduction doesn't overcome the core NRR of the device. I have never seen a set of what you want that has a decent NRR and I would never depend on them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
February 22, 2021, 09:31 PM
bald1
Not electronic as you asked but I find them very effective and unobtrusive. Mine are the ZEM SG31 that I bought back in 2010 to replace over the ear muffs that I found too cumbersome. Replaceable ear "cuffs" (the seals for your ears) are available.

Works nicely with brimmed hats. Smile

Sensgard
https://www.sensgard.com/

"DEVELOPED BY SCIENTISTS, BACKED BY AUDIOLOGISTS
PROTECTION YOU CAN TRUST.

· Patented design by Dr. Jozef Zwislocki founder of the Institute for Sensory Research at Syracuse University

· Backed by the expertise of staff audiologists to ensure the highest standard of protection

· High noise reduction rating for the highest noise environments, up to NRR 31db"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
February 22, 2021, 10:35 PM
sjtill
I bought a Sensgard from Veritas.com for ear protection during woodworking: easy to put on and take off, high noise reduction. I haven't used them yet at the range. How are they compared with Sordins + foam plugs?

February 22, 2021, 11:42 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I bought a Sensgard.... How are they compared with Sordins + foam plugs?

Hope this helps somewhat Doc. Don't own any Sordins or other electronic muffs.

Pictured are two types of Peltor Muffs, foam plugs from E.A.R., Hearos, and Macks, along with my Sensgard and replacement ear "cuffs." Had lots of foamies for the kids and guests as I bought in bulk back in the day. We always combined the muffs with foamies (as finicky as they can be for many) but I found the Sensgard just as good as that combination and, as previously mentioned, much more comfortable and unobtrusive at the range. Much easier to use than muffs to get a check weld on a rifle stock. And being bald, work great with a hat to protect my dome. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
February 23, 2021, 01:55 PM
Bigbuck5
You might want to give these a look. I'm not sure they will do everything you want, but they have a decent noise reduction rating.

https://isotunes.com/collectio...ducts/isotunes-pro-2
February 23, 2021, 03:45 PM
ArtVandelay
I’ve been happy with the Etymotic Gun Sport Pro, but I’m not entirely sure they’re worth the price. I used Etymotic audio products for many years, long before I bought my first gun, so I didn’t bother looking at alternatives when I decided to try them for hearing protection at the range. However, at double the price of the Walkers, maybe I should have tried those first.

I prefer the foam tips on these - I use the same foam tips on my travel earbuds, and they are comfortable enough but excel at blocking sound. I’ve had babies crying in the seat behind me on a plane and not noticed.

https://www.etymotic.com/consu...rotection/gsp15.html

Unfortunately, Etymotic doesn’t make passive earplugs suitable for the range. They only make noise reduction plugs for things like concerts, which are nice but useless around gunfire.
February 23, 2021, 09:33 PM
sjtill
Bald1, thanks for that info. I'm going to take y Sensgard unit to the range next time I go.
For a class, I'll still use the Sordins due to the necessity for clear communication to and from the instructor.

Here's a nice YT review of the Sensgards, both the 26 and 31 db versions, by a woodworker; complete with simulation of noise reduction using a microphone.
Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

February 23, 2021, 10:30 PM
Riley
I’ve been very happy with SoundGear. They make a style that’s not molded. They are $400, but I see sales that get them closer to $250.

https://www.soundgearhearing.c...for-hunters-shooters

I also have the non electronic molded and a pair of the molded Platinum models that are worth every penny. I was able to use my FlexPay from my insurance plan as I got them from an audiologist.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.