SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Reset pre and post upgrade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Reset pre and post upgrade Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I recently acquired a new P320 Carry that has the upgraded, drop-safe trigger from the factory. I also still have my old, pre-upgrade P320 Carry. My original plan was to shoot the new one, see how I like the upgraded trigger, and then send the old one in for the upgrade. Now I'm not so sure.

I initially noticed that the new gun has a much grittier trigger pull than the old one, but I chalked this up to the old gun having thousands of rounds through it, and having worn itself in. Then I shot them side by side, and there is a noticeable difference in the reset.

The new, upgraded gun has a tactile "false reset" before the trigger actually resets. This has caused me more than once to short stroke the trigger while firing. Also, once the trigger actually resets, there is significantly more takeup before it will break again than is the case with the old, "pre-upgrade" gun.

The old gun has possibly the best trigger of any out-of-the-box striker-fired handgun I've ever shot. The new one...well, I've shot worse, but it's nothing to write home about. And it's a definite downgrade from the old one. Has anyone else noticed these same issues with their "upgraded" triggers, or is mine an anomaly?

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they have different reset functionality. Can't say I've ever felt a false reset click on the upgrade. I can sorta understand short stroking a rather long reset like the SP2022, but not a P320. And I can't say I noticed any difference other than the change in reset from double click on the pull to more traditional.

So is mine the anomoly or yours? Well, most everyone has reported no change or an improvement post recall. IMO, there's no reason not to upgrade. Not only does it protect you if you were ever able to drop it precisely at -30 degrees from at least 4 feet, it adds the disconnector for OOB protection and a traditional reset (the big deal for me).

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Wait, did the 320 originally not have an out of battery safety?

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the firing pin block should act as one I'd think. But it sounded like a disconnector was wanted from the mil trials. So the upgrade included the disconnector, which serves dual roles.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Just a huge +1 to what 92fstech said.

I got a V-tac a month or so ago and the reset is just so lackluster compared to an un-upgraded 320.

My observations are more or less the same: you think the trigger has reset, but you have to let it out quite a bit more to get the actual reset. It is not positive at all, so short stroking is very easy. In deliberate fire, it's extremely annoying.

And there's a lot of extra takeup that isn't present in the original triggers.

The new 320 trigger isn't "bad", but it's far from the best, and the original 320 triggers were probably the best.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
So is mine the anomoly or yours? Well, most everyone has reported no change or an improvement post recall. IMO, there's no reason not to upgrade. Not only does it protect you if you were ever able to drop it precisely at -30 degrees from at least 4 feet, it adds the disconnector for OOB protection and a traditional reset (the big deal for me).

It may well be that mine IS the anomaly...which is why I'm asking the question. But the reset is definitely goofy, and after reading oat's response, it appears I'm not the only one who's experienced it.

What do you mean by "traditional reset"? Imo, my old (pre-upgrade) gun resets in a manner that feels more similar to most of my other guns than the new one does.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not worth getting all technical, but the old design required the trigger be pulled past the break to reset the sear/striker engagement. This the "double click" thing. The upgrade changed this so it all happens rather automatically.

In short, the upgrade lightened the mass of the trigger, and added a disconnector that adds an addition layer of OOB protection and changed the way the sear resets.

Now with your issue, it can be a combination of the change and tolerances. These are mass produced guns, and you may be a victim of "stacking" tolerances. I felt my P320 was a on the high side of trigger pressure needed, but I kinda liked that. As a side note, one thing that amazes me about the PPQ is the consistently good trigger. What I mean is they don't seem to have most being excellent, some being just good and some being rough. They somehow seem to manage to have very consistently excellent triggers. Honestly, SIG isn't quite so consistent.

Now the resolution to your issue may not be so easy. You can send it to SIG, but if it's within specs, they're not likely to do anything for you. Not that I can speak for SIG. But frankly, if it works, I suspect they're likely to say everything is fine.

I really wish you were local and you could try mine, and I could try yours to see what's different and how different.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. And I agree...I doubt Sig does anything about it, seeing as it works as designed. I can shoot a perfect qualification score with it if I do my part, so it's not like the gun is not a good shooter...I just prefer the feel of my old trigger. I realize that the new one offers many advantages...I just wish they could have implemented those without messing with the reset (and my old one didn't have the perceptible double-click to the pull, either, so there may have been some variances pre-upgrade as well, and I was just lucky and got a good one).

To complicate things it's a duty gun, so having any non-factory work done to the trigger is a major no-no, and it would be hard to find time to send it anywhere even if I could.

It would be cool if you lived close so we could try each other's guns. I'd be interested to see if mine is an oddball or if it's the new norm. Our whole department just got new guns...I'll have to try some of those issued to co-workers and see if they're similar.